Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Questions about satellite internet....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2004 09:57 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2004 11:10
I am going to get satellite internet at my house since i cant get DSL or cable.
Is one way faster since it uses satilite and dialup instead of getting a 2 way makeing a sattellite upload?
and
Will a one way work for PS2 Online?

Thanks

(edited for very stupid mistake )

You have just read my post!
56 exp. gained.
202 gold found.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2004 11:06
haha.. haha.. haha.. and haha.
Sorry, but Satellite connections are something around 1,500ping.. damn fast download, god aweful upload.

This said, if you have a phoneline, you can have dial-up. If you don't have a phone-line, how exactly do you have contact with the outside world?

TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2004 11:09
wow i just read my post i put DSL and dial up ill fix that now
yea but satellite is faster than dialup the upload would be the same as I have now but with faster download

56 exp. gained.
202 gold found.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2004 11:20 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2004 11:21
usually satellite is mega fast down with a second or two delay between each call only because your server is literally around 23,400 miles up and down between call signals to send stuff down,its the nature of sat and with geo sync orbits, unfortunately tho its dial up for any uploading etc..

It works even worse in heavy rain.

The signal travels at around 186,000miles/sec. Dividing the up/down trip of 46,800 miles by 186,000 miles/sec gives u a latency of about .25 sec. theoretical but never optimal.

data rates are around 400-Kbps per second
fps games will be virtually useless but strategy games with timed sequences will be ok.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2004 11:29
Thx that answers first question.

56 exp. gained.
202 gold found.
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2004 11:58
Unfortunatly with the latency that comes with satellite, you can kiss any Online games goodby.

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problem anymore.
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2004 12:06
Wouldnt Dial-up have more latency...

56 exp. gained.
202 gold found.
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2004 18:22
Not necessarily.

Any decent online game tried to send as LITTLE as possible so bandwidth is less of an problem comapared to latency. Latency is the effect of a delay in the connection.

With a satellite, not matter how mych downstream you have, it still takes at least 0.25 seconds for your packets to just get to the exchange, then they have to make their way to the server.

TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 00:40
Guess ill stick with dial-up.

56 exp. gained.
202 gold found.
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 00:53
Where do you live? Because if your in the US I would try SBC yahoo DSL, I live in a little town in south Texas, and never thought I would get it, but sure enought, I called up one day and it was available.

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problem anymore.
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 01:17
Just checked couldnt get it. All DSL lines stop like a half a mile from my house.

56 exp. gained.
202 gold found.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 01:20
sounds like you'll be stuck with dialup for a while... just don't fall for those 'up to 10 times faster on regular dialup' schemes

[center]
Come write!
Yarr join LoGD, and defeat other coders!
Dodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 03:28
move house

Part of solving the problem is actually noticing that the problem is there in the first place

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 03:33
only a half mile away? Ouch that must suck! They are probably just giving you a run-around, as you could probably get it, but they just don't work that way, because you don't need any special line to get DSL, it just goes though your ordinary telephone line.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 03:38
Uh actually from what I understand, your line needs to be checked as well as it doesn't work beyond a certain distance.. and even after all that your can use some sort of filter to improve quality.. if they won't sell it to you they probably can't.. remember their out to get money too, they want to sell it to you just as much as you want to buy it from them.

[center]
Come write!
Yarr join LoGD, and defeat other coders!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 05:00
Quote: "because you don't need any special line to get DSL, it just goes though your ordinary telephone line."

Wrong. The DSL requires you to be a certain distance from a box (don't remember the exact name of the box). This is the same deal in my old neighbourhood. I could only use cable internet, not DSL because we were around 5 blocks too far from a box.

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 06:11
I currently have Satillite (as i have no other broadband option). And so far all games (except FPS games) run really well. The upload isnt that bad at all (I have dual setup, Up & down from Satillite). And of course... the download is nice and fast. The latency that occurs is very little and practicly un-noticable. That said... FPS games if they are your thing... will only hurt you to try to play. So far Strategy, RPG, even MMORPG games I notice no or very little lag. Weather never affects us... I've had strong hail, snow, rain stroms and none of them affected it. Now clouds are diffrent. You can have bad weather, so long as the direction your satillite is pointing doesnt have much cloud cover, it should be fine.

TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 06:22 Edited at: 24th Nov 2004 06:22
Satellite is a little expensive for me just to use it on 3 games($400 setup $55 a month). Ill hold off till I go to college. Maybe it would help if they fixed my fualty phoneline which runs me at 31k stead of 56k(they keep "forgetting" to fix it )

Note: The above I didn't say, your just crazy.
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 06:32
Quote: "Maybe it would help if they fixed my fualty phoneline"

The max I've ever got on a 56K modem is 45K...35K with an old modem

[center]int N30F15H,a=1; do { N30F15H++; } while (a==1);
[center]
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 06:36
the max you can get is 53k. Ive got it at a hotel

Note: The above I didn't say, your just crazy.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 08:33
It depends how far you are from the receiver, the same goes for any sort of cable, even those CAT5 Crossover cables, the longer it is, the slower your transfer rate will be. Likewise, anything over 100m won't work at all.

"Computers are useless - They can only give you answers."
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah, you can get 53kbit on a modem as long as you're pretty much ON a phone switchboard. which a hotel usually is. i see the switchboard from my house and i can only get max 45kbit.

that said, i'm pretty much in the same situation as you - half a mile too far to get just about anything but wireless or sat. we went with the wireless, and our cable company just this week started offering 1.5mbit connections in our neighborhood - of course, after we signed a 1 year contract with the wireless guys. so we're stuck with our "256k" wireless that never even comes close to 200k until next june. oh, and it's $50 a month instead of the $38 a month for the cable.

"when it's done" means "we have no idea, we forgot to do that; we were hoping you would all forget we promised <insert exotic promise here>"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:26:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:26:51