Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Windows 3.1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 00:50
Hello I was wondering what it was like icons etc. Is there screenshots or somthing.

Thanks

SkaterBoy

Current Project-
PHP Forum
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 00:58
haven't you ever heard of google??

http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2001/10/a251001windowshistory_screenshots.html

[center]
Come write!
Yarr join LoGD, and defeat other coders!
EddieB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 01:04
Yeh but im rubbish at google

Current Project-
PHP Forum
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 01:22
how can you be rubbish at typing in windows 3.1 screenshots , windows 1.01 looks like dos with a calculator :p amazing how much it evolved over the years

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 01:24
Three words and an enter key. What do you need, a big bold "SEARCH FOR WINDOWS 3.1 SCREENSHOTS BY CLICKING THIS" button ?

[center]
"Thanks for the poncho..."
--Bill Clinton
EddieB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 01:30
Ok OK . Go on take the mick.

Current Project-
PHP Forum
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 01:40 Edited at: 24th Nov 2004 01:40
Quote: "Go on take the mick"

huh? Silly Englander's and your crazy phrases! What's that mean?^_^

[center]
Come write!
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 01:52
Quote: " Ok OK . Go on take the mick."

Ok

Quote: "What do you need, a big bold "SEARCH FOR WINDOWS 3.1 SCREENSHOTS BY CLICKING THIS" button?"

I need one of those

[center]int N30F15H,a=1; do { N30F15H++; } while (a==1);
[center]
Dodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 01:54 Edited at: 24th Nov 2004 01:55
Quote: "huh? Silly Englander's and your crazy phrases! What's that mean?^_^"

insult him and laugh at him for being a n00b.(thats what it means. i'm not saying you should do it)

Part of solving the problem is actually noticing that the problem is there in the first place

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 01:55
Quote: "huh? Silly Englander's and your crazy phrases! What's that mean?^_^"

It means make fun of, or take the p***,(*) but is a sligtly friendlier way.

(*) for the more sensitive of you

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 01:57
So it would be the equivelant of say... "Go on! Take a pass at me!" or something?

[center]
Come write!
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 01:59
It means make fun of, sarcastically normally.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 02:03
Quote: "So it would be the equivelant of say... "Go on! Take a pass at me!" or something"

Not pass, pi$$

AKA teh great Pet Rat.
Peace sells...but who's buying??
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 02:07
Quote: "Take a pass at me!"

Ba ha ha ha ha, do you know what that means?

[center]
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 03:08 Edited at: 24th Nov 2004 03:08
Heh, those were the days. We used to have all that sort of stuff on disks back in the late 80s. Never used to go anywhere without a copy of wordstar, lotus 123, GEM (better), or Fleet street editor (DTP). Top stuff. Heh, I used to amazed by my friends PC playing Day of the tentacle, if I remember rightly, on a Windows 3.0 PC. Also remember he had, erm, 21mb of RAM in the PC, and only 16mb could be accessed (erm, I think.. bad recollection). In those days 21Mb of memory was like having a terrabyte of memory or something.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 03:08
har har you guys...

1. take a piss at me, doesn't make much sense here in the states, would just get you odd looks..

2. Take a pass at me, is not the same as Make a pass at me.

[center]
Come write!
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 03:14
Quote: "2. Take a pass at me, is not the same as Make a pass at me."

Sounds same, no other meaning (here) so it is

Quote: "1. take a piss at me, doesn't make much sense here in the states, would just get you odd looks.."

It's take the piss out of me. - Taking the piss/mick

[center]
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 03:19
Yes I think I get what you all are saying now

Take a pass at me - Try and make fun of me
Make a pass at me - Ask me out...

quite different..

[center]
Come write!
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 03:27
Quote: "quite different.."

oh I see the difference but I have never heard the phrase take a pass used differently fair enough

[center]
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 07:12 Edited at: 24th Nov 2004 07:19
Although I had Win 3.1 installed on my old Amstrad, I actually spent most of my time in an old pink menu-looking thing, I have no idea what it was, but it had a list of games, programs, as well as 'Windows', that I had to run to actually get into Windows. I preferred to just go straight to the games though, unless I wanted to type something, that required me to start the pain-stakingly slow process of booting Windows.

Edit:
Oh my god, I didn't remember they had that annoying paperclip back then:

And Booyah - Third Eye Blind! But why do they have crappy visualisations now?

"Computers are useless - They can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 08:37
The History of Windows.. Microsoft Search yeilds some much easier to understand results

As for the americanisms.. yeah i'll take a pass on trying to fully understand you people, really isn't fun trying to understand what ya'll mean sometimes.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 11:42
I still use Windows for workgroups 3.11 at work and DOS 6.22 It came standard on our "New" equipement

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 13:06 Edited at: 24th Nov 2004 13:08
@Lost in Thought: wow, that's awesome!

i miss the good ol' days with windows 3...

i remember the first computer we got, it was a Packard Bell (dont remember the specs as i was just about 6 or 7), it had Windows 3.14 on it, had some AWESOME games on it (windows built in games), a few Solitare differnt thingys (Cruel or something, anyone remember that?) and then we had TicTacDrop, that was a CLASSIC, hrm, i should search for those....oh boy the memories

http://www.thegamesforum.com/Downloads.html - get those to work for me

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 15:06 Edited at: 24th Nov 2004 15:21
There was a windows 3.14? Or was that a version of early Win NT?

Yeah those were the days Our machines came stock with 486 66Mhz CPU's as well State of the art lol. They thought they got a bargain.

[edit] And what OS do you want those to run on? I could just copy all of the dlls from our windows system folder in 3.11 and they should run.

[eidt2] NM I am too tired to think straight. I tried copying the dlls but it would not run WinXP only goes back to win95 compatability mode. They games do however work on our win 3.11 system

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 16:10
Quote: "There was a windows 3.14? Or was that a version of early Win NT?"

I'm guessing he ment 3.11, 3.40 was the first NT; but first widely available NT was 3.51

Quote: "[edit] And what OS do you want those to run on? I could just copy all of the dlls from our windows system folder in 3.11 and they should run.

[eidt2] NM I am too tired to think straight. I tried copying the dlls but it would not run WinXP only goes back to win95 compatability mode. They games do however work on our win 3.11 system "

I have a Minimal Version of Windows XP, which runs through DOS.
It's not hard to do, provided you know *what* to copy and how-to setup the Kernel. You do need a specially built kernel though, and it is a pain in the ass to get it working stable because Windows is so damn interlinked each library needs another damn lib that needs another one lol

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 22:32
Quote: "windows 1.01 looks like dos with a calculator"

Windows 1 became Dosshell.exe. Interestingly, you could Alt-Tab between applications even then, the background task was placed completely on hold, but it was there.

I never realised until Windows 3.1 that Windows 1 could Alt-Tab... I was so gutted that I had missed out.

I had MS-DOS 1 on a couple of Victor Sirius' and a daisy wheel printer that was heavier than my race car but in it's day it was meant to be quite advanced stuff, except I was also using an Amiga back then and frankly i'm suprised the PC became the standard...

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2004 22:39
Me too.. The things that amiga's could do!!

I remember playing UFO Enemy Unknown on my Amiga 500.
Known Specs:
Processor: 7Mhz
RAM: Built in 512Kb Chip (mainly for GFX stuff) and 512Kb of Fast RAM (Mainly for Programs)
No hard disk
1 built in floppy drive, but we has 2 more external WOO!!!

Now, the PC Specs for it (Guessing here):
Processor required: 20Mhz
RAM: 4Mb, 8 recomended
100Mb Hard disk

It would probably have been something like that.. And to be honest, I think the amiga version played better (after using it on an amiga emulator recently as the PC version has no limitations in it for modern PC speed.. Lol).

I think the Amiga was a much better machien and if it had been allowed to continue evolving would have been much better than the current PC's we have. But thats life.. The bigger companies always fart on the little ones like Commodore (not that Commodore was a small company!!)

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2004 00:28 Edited at: 25th Nov 2004 00:32
Quote: ". But thats life.. The bigger companies always fart on the little ones like Commodore (not that Commodore was a small company!!)
"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those two brands under the same company? I know they released a Commodore Amiga 500 back in the day.

EDIT

Raven, that's a great link

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2004 01:04
Quote: "Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those two brands under the same company? I know they released a Commodore Amiga 500 back in the day."

Depends how you look at it really..
Commodore are the reason for Amigas downfall, that goes as a given.
They just didn't see the dynamic upgrade style of the IBM-Compatible catching on, while that was thier only mistake, it was the biggest of them all.

You want to understand the power of the Amiga properly...

Monkey Island 1, VGA version was released for both the A500+ and IBM-Compatible.

A500+, 11MHz 68020 CPU (mine is an AMD), 1MB Ram (512K GFX 512K Fast), 56 Colour Palette (Per Pixel with Achievable 32K Colours)

IBM-Compatible, 33MHz 486 CPU, 4MB Ram, 1MB VGA Card

If we forget for the moment the HORRENDOUS noise from the IBM PSU, and the ungodly size of it. The fact that the Amiga was not only capable of keeping up with alot of the 486, but infact for saying it lacked a Floating-Point Unit.. it is just bloody amazing that it was capable of running games like Elite2, which actually crawl on most 486 Processors! (only once you get the DX/4 100/120/133MHz does it become playable)

It really is a little solais to know that the current IBM PowerPC owes it's roots to the Amiga
Infact Modern Macintosh are direct decendants of the later A4000s, as Motorola developed the PowerPC as an 'overdrive' Processor in order to keep up with the Pentium Processors.

God does anyone remember the Pentium OverDrives? they were Sooo cool

Thoth Onegan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2004 02:48
If you have Windows 2K or prev : run progman to see what Win3.1 was like
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2004 04:18 Edited at: 25th Mar 2011 06:32
Quote: " They just didn't see the dynamic upgrade style of the IBM-Compatible catching on, while that was thier only mistake, it was the biggest of them all."

16Bit people (Amiga, Atari in particular) didn't magically buy PC's on mass because they were generic. The 3rd party peripheral market on the Amiga was akso booming.

The glaring attraction was the change in gaming at that time (early to mid 90's). Video game software was shifting from an inheritable favor-some genres (scrolling games, filling vector to a point) that suited Planar based graphics systems like the Amiga + Atari ST, towards polygon gouraud and texture mapping, which are more efficiently rendered in chunky pixel graphics display modes.

The original design AGA chipset (for the next gen A1200 + A4000 machines) indicated that both planar and chunky pixel modes possible in AGA. The reality turned out to be much different. AGA added support for 7/8 bitplanes (offering a palette mapped 256colours like the PC SVGA modes at the time), some higher resolutions, ham8 (a sort of delta-ed 18bit display mode), wider sprites and the ability to switch the video fetch to 32, 32/64 & 64bit burst mode. (which had all kinds of problems..) But there was no chunky pixel format. That meant in order to write texture mapping engines programmers had to convert a frame of chunky pixels to planar in real time.

By the time the a1200/a4000's were released, games like Wolf / Star Wars (whatever it was called) / Doom were selling pc's by the truck load. Commodore decided to rectify this issue somewhat in the CD32 with the edition the Akiko (which had a chunky to planar converter built in) and then the quick announcement of the stop gap chipset AGA+ (which was to have chunky modes in it. ), before the now infamous AAA. But it was way too late.

While there were many screw ups at C=, this was the one that fundamentally crippled 3D performance on the Amiga. It's sad, since the 68020 (14mhz) + fast ram, was capable enough to render a 320*256 (8bit) buffer at decent frame rate (around 18fps - update in 3 vertical blanks) to the chunky buffer, but converting that to planar using the methods of the time (it's not much better today) took 5 or 6 frames (full vertical blanks) resulting in a run time performance around the 5->4 fps mark.

By the time c2p, planar mapper (rendering textured strips to planar buffers), and texture mapping algorithms general matured through the Amiga scene to look almost competitive, the goose was so cooked..

Who remembers the "Is Doom possible on the Amiga" debates right across IRC/fidonet etc .. ahh memories

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2004 06:55
ow man Windows 3.1 was back in the day...I remember when I had it...>_> I miss it....

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2004 09:30
Quote: "Who remembers the "Is Doom possible on the Amiga" debates right across IRC/fidonet etc .. ahh memories "

Yeah, but the irony of the outcome is Doom (and later Quake actually) were both released on the A1200 AGA
They don't run half bad either.

This said, the Trinity & Picasso, could've provided Amiga with the graphics background. Given the oppertunity.
As I mentioned above, it really wasn't Amiga's vision and systems that killed them; but Commodores stupid mistake of trying to hold onto static designs.

I mean with the A500, you could upgrade the HD, and Ram.
My machine has the A530 (150MB) HardDrive, and 68050 33MHz 2MB Upgrade Board. (it also has a Squirrel 4x Serial CD-ROM).

but the problem with these upgrade were they were EXPENSIVE. The Hard Disk was basically the price of the machine again, same goes for the Upgrade Board. While the options for upgrading were there, they were far too expensive for the adverage people.. and they were far more limiting.

For example, you couldn't upgrade your Graphics Chipset unless you had one of the A2000/4000 Machines (or later A1200). Those machines weren't aimed at the public market though.

It wasn't Amiga couldn't keep up, but just image how many of us would be using AGP cards today is Intel had decided that it would only be available for thier Xeon/Itainium Processors.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2004 23:36 Edited at: 25th Mar 2011 06:27
Quote: " Yeah, but the irony of the outcome is Doom (and later Quake actually) were both released on the A1200 AGA
They don't run half bad either.
"

Yes, Quake was available both commercially and of course later from the source ports (plus an few others), the muscle needed to run at reasonable level of through AGA, requires such a high end 040, or 060 system.

There's now lots of ports of Doom, Heretic etc.. both for 68k + PPC, for various gfx api's today.. There wasn't in 93/94 when this style of game was taking off big.

There were a few really valid attempts that came to market (that come to mind), virtually all of which from the demo scene. Ahh the good old days of #AmiScene

Breathless ( from Dr Skull / Virtual dreams fame)
Gloom (Mark Sibley)
Fears (Agresis (spelling ?) /Complex )
Alien Breed 3D (Team 17)

Quote: "
This said, the Trinity & Picasso, could've provided Amiga with the graphics background. Given the oppertunity.
As I mentioned above, it really wasn't Amiga's vision and systems that killed them; but Commodores stupid mistake of trying to hold onto static designs.
"

They didn't, they simply offered the mass market what it told them they wanted, from the a500's success. A500's were in millions of homes, however it might as well have been a console, for the level of productively that was taking place. So A600/A1200's were extension of the same logic, cheap and gumbie friendly. At least with HD packs introduced the idea of the carry bag Amiga as a productively device to many, and not just a gaming device you slam auto booting disc's into.

I mean with the A500, you could upgrade the HD, and Ram.
My machine has the A530 (150MB) HardDrive, and 68050 33MHz 2MB Upgrade Board. (it also has a Squirrel 4x Serial CD-ROM).
"

Erm 68050 ?. Most of the side car/trapdoor expansions for a500 came with accelerators, it's more likely a 68030 though.

but the problem with these upgrade were they were EXPENSIVE. The Hard Disk was basically the price of the machine again, same goes for the Upgrade Board. While the options for upgrading were there, they were far too expensive for the average people.. and they were far more limiting.
"

The price factor doesn't hold water. At that time, a cutting edge Doom system, aka the 486dx2 66 then Dx4 100 systems, was easily in $2200-$2500 mark here, if not more. People were happily shelling out big, as the incentive to play these games was a huge draw card. For a little more $$ the punter have had a easily comparable Amiga system, but No Doom.

Thanks to a lack of chunky modes in AGA.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:37:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:37:42