Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / bone animation?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 03:03
if i have a model animated by bones can i use it in db(not pro version)
Dont forget the retro games
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 16:25
nope, dark basic classic does not support bone animations (i think, nah... i'm sure).

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 22:48
actually...im pretty sure it does...it wouldnt be any different that animating a character you make with with boxes or spheres in 3ds(if that is what you are using). It would be the same type of file...just different look.

Pagio--Try and just export it as .3ds then use the DB converter to convert it to .x....load it up in DB and try it out. Tell me what you come up with.

"Skateboard 'til the wheels come off"
SG=Shadows Gate
New RPG game coming to you from GP Interactive
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 22:50
Ok, now I get what he was saying..he already has the character..he just added bones into it to make it animation(not just the bones themselves, although either way would work...)...yeah..that works in DB Pagio...thats a normal way of animating things. Good luck on whatever you are working on. Have anymore questions post up

SG=Shadows Gate
Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 03:29
Well, bones can't 'actually' be used in the model itself - the .x file format doesn't even support bones (neither does .3ds, for that matter). However, you can animate something with the help of bones, export each frame as an individual mesh and then use the "change object mesh" command. Of course, if you're an experienced user, more experienced than me, you'd probably use memblocks instead.

"I am a living, thinking entity who was created in the sea of information."
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 03:33
I dont know where you get you cant have bones in a .3ds file..considering ive been doing it for years. Ive been using .3ds for quite some time now and thats usually how it works...just add some bones to a model, link them and what not animate it how you want...and export it as .3ds....then convert it to .x...simple...

SG=Shadows Gate
Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 04:00
Well, my experience with bones has been a tad different - I exported an object with bones into .3ds format, which then immediately became corrupt and wouldn't load into any program, not even 3DSMax. Although, I do bow to your wisdom in 3DSMax and admit that there might have been an error at my end. Perhaps I didn't ought to jump to conclusions so quickly...

Although, there is one exception where bones have exported for me; when I create objects and then assign them to be bones via object properties - providing I don't use the skin modifier or anything similar (can't remember whether that included IK chains or not), they export fine. I haven't tried importing them again, so I don't know whether it preserves to bone structure.

X files on the other hand, I'm sure don't support bones. Under the right circumstances, you can convert a boned animation to .x format, but it loses it's bone data in favour of hierachial animation. That's pretty much fine unless you try to reverse engineer anything. Or so I've read, am I going to get corrected again?

Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 05:12
Yup, ill admit that you are correct on .X doesnt support bones when you do it with the IK chains and yes it does lose its bone data and "figure" if you will when you convert it. Ill stand with you on that comment But yes, you can make a .3ds file with bones.(well maybe not when Kinetix was making 3DS Max, which I know that could be a HIGH possibility...but on the newer version of 3ds[5] it works fine).

So I should have explained it in more detail. That's my fault on my end.

I havent gotten DBPRO yet, but if im not mistaken there is no need for converting a file from .3ds to .x with PRO...since you are able to use the raw .3ds file, you should be able to get bones working correctly in there.(dont quote me on that )

SG=Shadows Gate
Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2003 22:55
You can use .3ds files with DBClassic as well, but I think it uses internal conversion to change the file to .x when it's loaded, effectively limiting you to the same constraints as .x anyway. I can't back you up, because I don't have DBPro either.

It could be that I've only got 3DSMax 4 and it's got a problem with bones or something. I don't know - I'm just glad we've agreed on something!

Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2003 10:52
lol..yeah...glad aswell that we agreed on something Maybe that will be the start of many, eh?

I think its just probably DB that has the problem with the bones...Lee needs to fix that....(but no more time will be put into DBClassic in my opinion...)

SG=Shadows Gate
cloud
Years of Service
User Offline
pagio u can in db cus i do it and it works fine.

cloud
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2003 21:17
i've noticed that the ability to export 3DS or DirectX formats with bone animation actually depend greatly on HOW you've connected them to the bone and what exporters you have used.

Please note that Pirated versions of 3DS Max 2,3 or 4 WILL NOT export correctly. It's part of the anti-pirate measures, but exactly why they have been lifted from 5 i'm unsure

If you wish to export directly to DirectX DO NOT USE the Microsoft exporter unless you are using Max 3.x,4.0 or 5.0
as they DO NOT work correctly with the respective patched versions.

DarkBasic Standard does not (and not likely to) accept DirectX 8.x Skin&Bone models, however DarkBasic Pro does.
Someone should release an update version of the DirectX exporter for Max 4.2+ (inc 4.3 educational) and 5.1+
It's kinda hind sighted that Discreet fudged around with some core code in patchs that makes them incompatible with certain lower version features.

I'd recommend if you wish to export and have something work fine, follow the Tutorial for Game Animation using Bip and set a Hierachy for your limbs.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 11:46:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 11:46:58