Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Is this Wacom Stylus worth my money?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was wondering if the Graphire 3 4*5 Tablet is worth my money? If it isn't what cheaper alternatives can you suggest? The reason I want one is because I have a hard time drawing with the mouse and the pc with the scanner is ancient.

There is only one way to package shaolin: Shaolin Soccer...
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 11:15 Edited at: 28th Nov 2004 11:15
lol ancient?? that's still the best way to get quality artwork done..

But as for the wacom graphire 3, my brother bought it for 120 usd I think, and he likes it. He says it works well, I've used it myself, and it's fantastic, works beautifully in photoshop.

Will take some practice to get quality work in it, but if you're already a decent artist, then 'relearning the pen' won't be too difficult.

It's also been pushed by the art guy on techtv (before it switched to g4techtv), calling it the best tablet in that price range, he also said if you wanted a better one the next best is at 900 dollars, which is also a wacom tablet that he uses

So yes, it's a good purchase.

[center]
Come write!
Yarr join LoGD, and defeat other coders!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I'm a decent artist, so it shouldn't be as hard. And what I mean by the computer being ancient I meant more crappy, bad word choice on my part, it freezes when I try to save my scanned art... Thanks for the info.

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
if you have the money, i'd got with the 6x8 - not from personal experience, but somehow, 4x5 seems a little restrictive.

"when it's done" means "we have no idea, we forgot to do that; we were hoping you would all forget we promised <insert exotic promise here>"
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah I could buy it but there are other things, like DBPro (only 1 1/2 weeks left of the trial), Exgen, Xbox Live... I just need a stylus, if I find it too restricitve I'd sell it on Ebay or to a friend who might need it and buy the 6*8.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 12:28
I'd agree, currently I have a 4x5 for home use because I can use it instead of my mouse (same size as a mouse mat). Problem is I'm constantly getting frustrated by the lack of room with it.

Remember that unlike a mouse, you can't simply pick it up and move yourself into a better position .. the tablet area = screen area. So you often end up in odd (and sometime painful) positions just to finish an area without loosing your pressure.

I'd say the Watcom, does certainly have the best Pressure Sensor from any other tablet in it's range; but personally I prefer the pen on the slightly more expensive Genius Ranges. They fit to your hand better, also powerwise they use less.. I found this out before ending up splashing out on a new 430watt PSU as it'd reboot my system each time I connected it with my Scanner.

Watcom generally have the best tablets on the market, and for the pricerange they usually are pretty good. I'd also recommend checking out the equal Genius though as they have been producing quite good tablets too.

Generally speaking, for Sketching I still use paper&pencil at home.. at work I used an Watcom3 with Alias Sketchbook Pro.

Sketching / Concepts : Alias Sketchbook Pro
General Art Needs (Texturing) : Adobe Photoshop CS
Digital Art (Painting) : Corel Painter 8/9

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 18:26 Edited at: 28th Nov 2004 18:29
you could buy a modern usb scanner for less than the price of a decent tablet, I have two tablets (Volito and Medion) the Volito is a dinky thing the size of a mousemat (like Raven said), the small size is a problem sometimes, you run out of space drawing sweeping curves and its weird sometimes drawing in small and seeing it come up massive on the screen, the Medion mat is A4 size and works fine but the pen is heavy/chunky (it has a battery inside, the Volito doesn`t), if you do get one then best tip I can give you is to tape a sheet of A4 over the mat, the plastic face supplied on the mat doesn`t have the right "stiction" to draw with, it`s much easier to draw on top of paper and it will work OK through a single sheet.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 18:31
yeah i have tonnes of scratched cardboard peices i attach to my tablet.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 17:12
There's a reasonable tablet going for £25 at your local Lidl, well if you have a Lidl that is... I think it comes with a wireless mouse - it's probably about mousemat sized. The little ones are very restrictive, fine for little jobs, but if you want to get into tablet drawing properly, save and get a good sized tablet, or check out that cheap-as-chips Lidl one. I'm gonna pick one up tonight, I'll make a post about it once I test it out.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Nope, there are no Lidls in the U.S! But thanks for the info...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:29:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:29:55