Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / making Flash games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 15:04
Does anybody know which are good apps for making flash games...i mean really simple ones...and if there are tutorials to do this please...
(I'm thinking of getting macromedia flash is it any good for flash games)?
ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 15:06
Macromedia (the guys who MADE flash) know best, and although their software is 600 bucks, it is THE best for Flash things.

"Some who die deserve life, and some who live deserve death. Can you give it to them, Frodo?" - Gandalf the Grey
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 15:07
Quote: "their software is 600 bucks"

There are cheaper solution, for example Ebay.

- Mind the gap -
ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 15:08
Yeah, but who knows if it's legal! They could have just burned a CD off Kazaa or something.

"Some who die deserve life, and some who live deserve death. Can you give it to them, Frodo?" - Gandalf the Grey
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 15:20
Amazon.com is often a cheap solution for it, get the not-so-latest edition tends to cost alot less

Lascerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 15:29 Edited at: 28th Nov 2004 15:35
ok so Macromedia can do flash...but can it do flash games(I think it's worth note that i dont really know much about flash games but i want to learn, to increase my abilities?...i can't seem to find that answer nor tuts on games only art and animation for banners
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 15:38
Uhh... you use 'Macromedia Flash' to make all Flash applets, that's how it works.

"Computers are useless - They can only give you answers."
Lascerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 15:56
ok thanks...just incase anybody else is trying this here you go...
http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/Flash/Games/1

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.asp?p=30431

I found two sites...yay....and macromedia has that try and buy option so....

Thanks everyone...!!!
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 16:11
Quote: "Yeah, but who knows if it's legal! They could have just burned a CD off Kazaa or something"

Then the one who sold the box to me was a professionnal, especially for recreating the box, manual, ...

- Mind the gap -
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 22:05
a great learning site for flash related stuff is flashkit.com

gary rozensweig also has a great book for flash games.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 23:53
As a matter of fact, I just bought Macromedia Flash MX 2004 myself - for $480 on Amazon. A customer of mine wants a "Flashy" website, so here I go.

Now that I have learned Flash, I am very impressed with it! What a peice of software! I am planning to recreate my "A time to Warp 2" game (1982 version only) as a Flash game.

The code that Flash uses is C. I shouldn't have any problems converting the DarkBasic code over to C for Flash. And the graphics that I used were so simple, it shouldn't be any problem converting them over to Flash's vector graphics.

Long live Macromedia FLASH!
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 00:01
TobyQuan, Flash does not use C, it uses a scripting language called ActionScript. A lot of it can be done using the GUI aswell, unless you want to code it manually.

Desktop: AMD Athlon XP2800+,GeForce FX5200 128MB, 1.25GB DDR RAM
Laptop: AMD Athlon 64M 3000+,Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, 512MB DDR RAM
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 00:51 Edited at: 29th Nov 2004 00:56
The ActionScript has the exact same syntax as the C programming language. For instance, take a look at this ActionScript code:

I'm glad that the ActionScript is C, because I already know C. Now, I don't have to learn a new programming language.

And yes, you can do a lot of things through the GUI, but I believe that you can have more controll if you do things programatically.

Here is one advantage that I just found when controlling things through ActionScript instead of from the GUI: I have 10 letters in my application. They each need to animate separately, but in the end they all need to get into a line. The customer asked for one part of the animation to change, and for all the letters to line up in a different position. Since I had done it all through code, all I had to make was one change, which was the variable that controlls where the letters line up. If I had done that through the GUI, then I would have had to go into each of the letters animations and edit the motion tweens to get them all to line up to the new desired location.
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 14:25
Here is another thing that I wanted to point out.

Yes, MX Flash is $500-$600, but if you are a student (and I know that many of you here are) you can get the academic version for much less! How does $99 sound?

http://www.directdeals.com/item_FLD070D400.aspx

Man, if my kid was ever into this kind of software, I'd get it for him! What a great price!

Personally, I had to buy the real version, because I am using it for commercial purposes. But if any of you students want longer than the 30 day free trial to learn this amazing tool, this may be your chance!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:28:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:28:32