Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Dark Basic VS Blitz Basic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 17:55
There has been a new topic started at http://www.developersnet.org/ comparing the pluses and the minuses among Dark Basic and Blitz Basic.

Anyone should want to express his opinion, he can find the topic at http://www.developersnet.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=78&forum=4

~ Umbrella Corp lead developer
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 18:01
From your statement which includes "This function is allowed only in the enhanced version", it does appear that you dont know what your talking about...

Walk softly... and carry a big gun...
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 18:09 Edited at: 28th Nov 2004 18:10
I might as well get the obligatory post dissection out of the way:

Quote: "The functions provided by Blitz Basic give the programmer the opportunity to program more proffecional programs, and does not limit him in writing just games."

I think it is possible to write apps with DBpro too

Quote: "On the other hand, Dark Basic, has an alot bigger community, providing alot more stuff, such as codes, tutorials etc. It has been also modified from the original Basic to become a clear game programming language, loosing some of the original features of Basic."

I don't think DBPro has loost (sic ) too much from BASIC, if anything gained features for example UDTs.

Quote: "The different variations of the editor, make it a bit difficult for the progarmmer to get code from aroung,"

They all use the same file format

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Hal Emmerich
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 18:25
Well, about the
Quote: "Quote: "The different variations of the editor, make it a bit difficult for the progarmmer to get code from aroung,"

They all use the same file format
"

I tried downloading some codes from the code base, and when compiled them, i got errors that i can not use some functions cause i have the enhanced version.

Actually i have managed to compile 0 programms till now.

Quote: "
Quote: "The functions provided by Blitz Basic give the programmer the opportunity to program more proffecional programs, and does not limit him in writing just games."

I think it is possible to write apps with DBpro too
"

Well, blitz provides some alot more advanced features in network programming, the editor is alot more proffesional, and alot more efficient, plus a wider range of functions.

Finally i have to mention again that
Quote: "
This is clearly my opinion, that i have come up, after some weeks of programming in those 2 languages.
"

I cant help the fact, that i was only able to have the demo versions for writing my review in DevNet

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 19:14 Edited at: 28th Nov 2004 19:16
Quote: "I tried downloading some codes from the code base, and when compiled them, i got errors that i can not use some functions cause i have the enhanced version."

Eh ? What functions were you trying to use ? Its all dependant on the version of DBPro, not the editor.
As long as you dont try to use the Advance Terrains commands anything in the full version of DBPro will work with the demo (as long as its for V5.5, if I remember correctly).

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 19:15
Hmm.. You know, I could review both languages.
After all I have programmed in both since they were released, not to mention helped develop several plug-ins for both.

I do have a slight bias towards DB, however I tend not to let my personal views get in the way of giving people a good review of something.

.. I would like to point out something though,
Quote: "~ Umbrella Corp lead developer"

A Corporation Company is a company, which in-turn owns large percentages by merging or buying out other companies. Hense where the term Corporation, has come from 'Co-Operatation'

Another point is that whie Umbrella Corp is not an official company name, the name is a registered trademark of Capcom, who are owned by Nintendo. (thus a trademark secondry of Nintendo)

Those are two companies you don't particularly wish to get on the bad side of... (believe me, i've seen the remains of companies they've chewed up for breakfast before)

I'd also like to point out, you really didn't go over much in your given review of the products. If you were writing for a Magazine it would be atleast 2-Sides of A4 PER Language.
PC Gamer UK did a review of Blender Vs Div Game Studio a month before DarkBASIC Standards release, it was quite informative and compelling. It was one of the things, which not only brought my attention to DarkBASIC but actually also got me into wanting to develop my own games from home.

Previously I'd believed PC Games were reserved for student programmers and such. In order to properly review, you have to know the history of something, have decent enough experience with it.. while 2-weeks is enough, the experience behind the testing, knowing what to look for and such is really more important rather than time taken.

While as a programmer testing you can take the trials and see somewhat of the picture, Blitz3D is EXTREMELY limited in it's Trial version. There isn't much to review because you cannot make programs large enough to test or see much.

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 19:24 Edited at: 28th Nov 2004 19:25
Yes Blitz is limited in its Trial Version but they do give you test programs.. and you can look at those and try and peice in your mind how a program would look like at a grander scale..
also the DB trial when i used it, it kinda annoyed me since it did not give me explations of the functions on the index untill i bought the full version...
Blitz on the other hand gives you the whole full editor.. with the only defect of not being able to complie..(i think)
The Other thing about DB is that i find the tutorial fps hard to understand and follow at the begining (to the point where i quit trying to learn from that thing)

Ofcourse.. reading over this it looks like im siding with Blitz but in reality i like Darkbasic Better and i like its community allot more than i ever did with blitz, and even though darkbasic can create other things than just video games.. dark basic was made for the sole purpose of making games(right?), and thats fine with me.

http://img96.exs.cx/img96/2382/sasa.gif
around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 19:30
DBPro is perfectly fine for apps - It's not our fault if people would rather make games than write 2D light mappers or DPaint clones. Anyone wishing to see how DBPro handles apps should try VSD Tracker and Multiscape - It took me just a week or 2 to write a soundtracker in DBPro.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 19:36 Edited at: 28th Nov 2004 19:37
ummm... if thats in reponse to my post then... im not saying that DB cant make apps.. i just think that the majority of DB's "abilitys" go to wards game creation... hence THE GAME CREATORS, and ofcourse DB can make apps, i fully agree with that i just wanted to say DB's main purpose is to make games

and well if that post was'nt intended as a reply to my post.. then ill just delete this one

http://img96.exs.cx/img96/2382/sasa.gif
around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 19:38
I think they meant Blitz was more for applications as it is pointless to require directx 9 for an application. But yes DBP is very capable of making the applications.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 19:59 Edited at: 28th Nov 2004 20:05
As far as I can see, the newest version of DBPro with Newton and EZRotate is a lot better than Blitz3D.

That's what I have (I've never spent any money on DBPro )

Blitz people tend to think that their games are good enough for shareware releases when they're not really. The whole DBPro community is way more sharey-sharey.

You sound like you only used DBC. There's no 'Enchanced' version of DBPro as far as I know.

@ Raven

What plugins have you made for DBPro? Don't think I've seen them. Doesn't happen to be a multiplayer one does it?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 20:29 Edited at: 28th Nov 2004 20:29
Quote: "also the DB trial when i used it, it kinda annoyed me since it did not give me explations of the functions on the index untill i bought the full version..."

DarkBASIC and DarkBASIC Professional Trials were shipped with full manuals, so erm... WTF are you talking about?

Luke B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 20:49
@ Raven

No need to review both languages - I've beaten you to it.
Check out 'The Definitive DarkBASIC Pro and Blitz3D' thread in Off Topic

luke

TI 126Mhz, 584MB RAM, no HDD, 320x320 screen... wait that's my Palm
>> Athlon XP 2400+, 512MB RAM, 120GB HDD, XP Pro SP2 with DX 9.0c
Want an eight way Opteron *workstation*
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 20:50 Edited at: 28th Nov 2004 20:50
Why do all the "Blitz vs DarkBASIC" threads centralize around Christmas time?

Edit> The Majority I should say.

You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. He looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that god was having trouble with.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 20:52
I think you missed my post, Raven.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 21:15
Quote: "This is clearly my opinion, that i have come up, after some weeks of programming in those 2 languages"

It takes more than some weeks to get to get to know and review a language competantly. It's all to easy to try to run the first thing you see, get errors and then give up.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 21:40
Quote: "Why do all the "Blitz vs DarkBASIC" threads centralize around Christmas time?"

People not being sober is the reason...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2004 21:55
Quote: "People not being sober is the reason..."

Then where's all the adults beer?
I want a beer too!

Quote: "I think you missed my post, Raven."

Yeah, I did. This said, I'd rather not answer it. Last time I did, ended up saying I released something, which I'd forgot to.. then I got a bunch of rather nasty emails about it.

I do have a silly Matrix one on my HDD right now, my first VC# one. Could release that

Hal Emmerich
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 18:48
Well... there are alot posts, but i dont think i have to answer in every single of them.

First of all, i do not use the signature, because i own the corp , or wish to create an official one.

Im using it for fun at the moment, and maybe it is going to become a project ( we are currently planning it, nothing against Capcom.. )

Moving on to the important. I have corrected my post, I do NOT have the enchanced version, i missed not .

I can not write two pages, one for each language. I am not a prof article author, for any sort of mag. Iam just a programmer, who decided to write a sort review, as sort as i am able, due to the fact i do not have paid versions of the editors, and my limited time.

And thats why i have placed my review on a board, so we can discuss over it, and have a better written, by me (or someone else) in the time comming.

If anyone has a better review, than i would be glad to take a look at it, and if good place it at DevNet.

anything i missed?!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:29:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:29:06