Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / How to get people to post in my forums.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 12:03
I realize people are probably tired of seeing the posts about everyone's forums they've put on their site. But my story is a little different I'm the website creator/administrator for the company I work for, rlights.com. I just recently wrote a forum for the site, but haven't had any luck in getting people to post in it.

Could it be that no-one's really interested in asking questions and talking about lighting and ceiling fans? (We seem to get enough phone calls each day from people with questions...) Our site gets somewhere around 1000 visitors daily, so we've got traffic, but no interest in the forums.

I realize this is kindof strange asking this in a programming forum, but I don't know of any friendlier places than here. You can check out my forums here:

http://www.rlights.com/forum

Thanks

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 12:39
Only computer geeks post on forums, and it's not often you're going to find a computer geek interested in ceiling fans.

Also, those icons and buttons on your forum look very familiar... I could've sworn I'd seen them somewhere before.

"Computers are useless - They can only give you answers."
3beth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 12:40 Edited at: 29th Nov 2004 12:42
hyrichter:

You can make forums? We need one on our website if you think you can do it let me know. Also we need another writer to talk about game stuff, any topic involving games or programming games, if you are interested.

Beth

http://uksoft.planetdns.net

Beth=The ditsy blonde. I like men and programming, but mainly programmed men!
Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
umm....reduce sig size, and I am a programmed man

I am a person with the intelligence of a google bot.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 13:35
Heh, the only lighting I know is a bit of stage (small stage) lighting, as it used to be a hobby (more of the sound though, might explain the small[very small] recording studio upstairs :p).

But yeah, them there buttons do look slightly familiar, but I can't seem to put my finger on it...

Quote: "and I am a programmed man"

No, your a programmed boy.

You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. He looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that god was having trouble with.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 14:06
The best way to get people to post on your forums. Create a software of some type. Leave it riddled with bugs. Stop working on it so you can make another software while leaving the poor souls who bought your first software all alone. You'll have so many flame posts you may need another server. Other than that I don't think lighting is all that popular to talk about as it is the simplest form of electrical wiring.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 21:19
Quote: " Only computer geeks post on forums"

Actually, that's not really the case. There are many very active forums where people talk about wood-working, cooking, home-building, and about everything else you can imagine.

Quote: "You can make forums? We need one on our website if you think you can do it let me know."

Yes, I can make forums, but I really don't have the time to make one for your site. Besides, you'd have to have a server that supports ASP, since that's the only web language I know. (Most hosting services support PHP, but not ASP)

Quote: "The best way to get people to post on your forums. Create a software of some type. Leave it riddled with bugs. Stop working on it so you can make another software while leaving the poor souls who bought your first software all alone. You'll have so many flame posts you may need another server."

I've got the perfect idea...I'll sell them all defective chandeliers.

Quote: "Other than that I don't think lighting is all that popular to talk about as it is the simplest form of electrical wiring.
"

You may be right, but as I said, we certainly get enough phone calls throughout the day with people asking us questions.

Quote: "Also, those icons and buttons on your forum look very familiar... I could've sworn I'd seen them somewhere before."

Nah, you're just imagining things, . Actually, Rich said I could use them for my forum since I have no artistic or graphical abilites.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 22:51
Quote: "Nah, you're just imagining things, . Actually, Rich said I could use them for my forum since I have no artistic or graphical abilites."

I was just about to ask^_^

Now I hope your employer knows this

[center]
Come write!
Yarr join LoGD, and defeat other coders!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:26:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:26:47