Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Small suggestion for DBP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 16:20 Edited at: 29th Nov 2004 16:33
This is more of a general talk subject I think (as it has nothing to do with the language really).

I have recently started toying with the Visual C# 2005 beta from MS, and I had hit a bug (small bug, nothing to big, and might of just been an isolated incident). Well, built in was this nice Bug Report System, where it asks you many things about your computer, what you did, how to recreate the bug etc.

Well I thought it would be pretty nice if DBP had one built in, would fit in nice under the Help dropbox. I know there is a "Bug Report" forum already here, but i know plenty of users whom have no desire or want to even come here (who would of ever thought, users not wanting to come here, wish I was as smart as them ).

Just a thought I had on how to collect the bugs a bit easier...

Eric

Edit- Now that i think of it, its more of a IDE suggestion... oh well, blame the lack of sleep.

Edit2- Was just talking this over and thought a few things...

Have it as a an alteration of the Codebase... you could call it the "Bugbase", where users can browse the bugs, but you have certain mods seperate the rubbish from the good so Lee and Mike can see the "confirmed". If this sounds confusing, i don't blame you... i'm confusing my self.

You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. He looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that god was having trouble with.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 17:29 Edited at: 29th Nov 2004 17:33
Well for the last little while, i felt like making a "Design" of the "Bugbase"... It's a but rough, i did it in paint, and i can't stop shivering cause its 10 damn degrees fahrenheit.

http://www.liquidzsnake.dbspot.com/bugbase.JPG

Now to explain it a bit:

Details: When you click on the "View" button, it'll take you to a page which will show the:
A) system specs of the user (CPU, OS, Vid card, etc..)
B) a sample bit of code to recreate the problem
C) What the code is supposed to do
D) What the code does
E) Comment from submitter (optional)

Bugbase Description: Will show a short Description that the user makes so people can just read that as a synopsis.

Bug Status: Self Explanatory, Accepted - Rejected - Pending

Version: What version of Darkbasic is being used

Catergory: What part of Darkbasic is the bug from... etc

Created: (or i shoulda put submitted... too late): when was it submitted to the bugbase.

And thats my pitch for a "Bugbase".

If you aren't sickened by now, then you must be as weird as me, and i thank you.

Edit: I am aware i have jumped slightly from the original topic... meh
And for clarification, it is now 2:33am, not the 1:30am that is in the picture.

You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. He looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that god was having trouble with.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 17:41
heh, thank god you don't draw up concept designs for apps for a living

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 17:44
I don't know Raven, he could work for Microsoft .

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 17:44 Edited at: 29th Nov 2004 17:45
Oh come on, don't you love my 3 bugs...It represents the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. And does it not get the jist out of what i'm trying to describe? :p

But I do alot better work when I have slept...well not alot better.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 21:53
Quote: "Oh come on, don't you love my 3 bugs..."

i can't read them

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 04:08
Hmph, forgot I made this...
Quote: "i can't read them "

Erm, you need to do teh "zoom in" or make sure it zooms to 100%
(it is a 1280x1024 shot).

Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 11:24
What!? You mean MakeMMORPG() has a bug?

Nice, I like the idea

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 12:28 Edited at: 30th Nov 2004 12:28
I think there was a bug report form thiny in early phases of the IDE that we looked at on the devnet, but apparently it got scrapped . The current bug forum is rather lacking as a database, I agree, though it's far better than the email-and-pray system you get with most applications. I'm sure we'll see improvments at some point.

[center]
"Thanks for the poncho..."
--Bill Clinton

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:26:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:26:04