Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Damn Middle Mouse Button!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 23:06
I'm not sure why, but yesterday I lost control over my middle-mouse button.

No doubt alot of people here have probably never used thier Middle Button, let alone miss it when something goes wrong..
But I like using it for scrolling as I *used* to be able to click it and I could then scroll a page via the movement of my mouse (when I finally upgrade to the IntelliMouse 4.0 next week can use that snazzy 4-way scroll wheel but that's beside the point)

More importantly though, is I use it in every damn 3D Package I have.. most importantly is Maya. Annoyingly it controls the View Panning/Dolly, which make it particularly annoying when I press Alt-MMB and nothing happens, but when I let go it suddenly brings up the DirectX Surface Window!

At first I thought it was nView, but turning off Mouse Gestured did nothing.. Then I installed IntelliPoint, but I can now *only* select preset functions.. and there is no bloody Middle-Click function!!

If someone knows how to fixx this could you please let me know because this is the last bloody thing I need

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 23:13
I have the same problem.

I use a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse and lost the middle mouse button a couple of months ago. I can still scroll with the mouse wheel but it is not nearly as useful as using the middle button.

So, while I can't offer any help to Raven, at least now you know you are not alone in this *cue companionship music*

So, if anyone does know of a fix you would be helping out at least two people very much.

Thanks

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 23:21
*shock* a ms product finally failed to work for you?? *horror*

j/k Obviously you must have tried to uninstall/reinstall the mouse software?

[center]
Come write!
Yarr join LoGD, and defeat other coders!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 23:29
like you said ... obviously

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 23:41
try switching it over to the ps2 socket or if it's already there, to the usb.

[center]
Come write!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 23:57
done, and done .. really I think I need to figure out which software install has triggered this.

that said I did something to my desktop a few days ago before this bug which now means I have to manually call the 'Desktop' when I reboot, I did something to fixx that once but can't remember how now.

need to get myself a better PSU cause I can't have my scanner, printer, tablet and mouse plugged in at once... else the machine reboots, and if i have anything (cept just the mouse) on the USB when I try to run a shader game again the machine reboots.

250watt just isn't good enough for high-end processors heh

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 23:59
Quote: "I have to manually call the 'Desktop' when I reboot"

do you mean "Explorer.exe" ?

there was a virus going around for awhile that forced you to do that...

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 00:08
No, i mean Desktop. If you call the Desktop command using the Task Manager when everything disappears it restarts it.

The problem I'm having isn't a virus one, I know damn well something has screwed up with .NET, but i'm using Beta 2.0 so i've come to expect weird issues.. especially as it doesn't seem to like running with 1.1 SP1, but at the same time people using .NET never seem to make thier applications Runtime independant. (which is annoying to have to have both on one system, seems a little wasteful to me)

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 00:13
One thing to check...

Go to control panel and open the mouse section.
Click on the hardware tab, select your mouse, then click properties.

From there you can check/change your settings, for instance in Advanced Settings, my settings are like this (with a 3 button and scroll wheel mouse):

Sample Rate: 100 reports/sec
Wheel Detection: Assume wheel is present
Input Buffer Length: 100 packets

Perhaps these settings got munched somehow.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 00:38
There isn't much I can change for them.. as you can see

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 00:42 Edited at: 30th Nov 2004 00:43
remove the driver, and then wait for it to redetect the mouse and reinstall the driver. (and double check the scrolling tab on that left window, *not that you didn't already)

[center]
Come write!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 00:56
well not sure why, but in USB 1-2 Slots setting MMB to AutoScroll gives me back it's original functionality
in USB 3-6 Slots it doesn't. Very weird, but meh! I've got the functionality back.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 02:50
I had that same problem once.

Took me an hour, but I finally fiXed it by looking down and realizing I had only a 2 button mouse.

Remember, Jimmy still loves you.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 02:57
haha you and your anciently designed mouse..

*Can't live without scroll wheel*

[center]
Come write!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 03:06
Quote: "*Can't live without scroll wheel*"

Tell me about it...

The amount of times I've tried to scroll with no wheel there - people just give you funny looks as if your trying to molest their precious mousey.

Van-B
P.S. Does'nt it suck that M$ make such decent mice! - it's one less thing to hate about them

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 03:17
Yeah, I like their mice.

Still prefer logitech though.

Remember, Jimmy still loves you.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 03:32
Best mouse I've ever used is a compaq optical mouse.. The scrollwheel scrolls nice and smooth and the buttons are nice and bouncy.

After having an optical mouse it's hard going back the the ball mouse^_^

[center]
Come write!
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 03:40
I prefer the wheels that click round in steps.

The worse mouse I have ever used has a middle wheel that you have to click all the way down till it was flush with the buttons.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 03:42
aye, the compaq mouse clicks round in steps, as you put it, but the movement is smooth, ei, it's not easy to scroll too far, but it takes little effort

My old mouse used to be like that, where you had to press the wheel down flush with the buttons, ugh..

[center]
Come write!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 03:56
The wheel on my mouse moves round in steps, which is annoying..I have to move it something like 2.5 forward steps to scroll up, then if I scroll it another step it..it.. scrolls down -_-

AKA teh great Pet Rat.
Peace sells...but who's buying??
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 05:23
the scroll-wheel on this mouse doesn't click, but more faintly taps as you turn it. You feel it locking each turn, but it's not stiffly like Logitechs'.. you can turn it very easily but it doesn't slip accidentally. Plus it has a nice semi-rubber feel to it with very lightly extruding grips.

probably cost more than most ppls mice, at £35 (got it on release in the UK) ... but it's lasted me what, close to 7years now. I wish I could've got my hands on the Microsoft Natural Keyboard at the same time now that's something I want to have last me as long. I go through keyboards of around 2-3 a year.

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If someone knows how to fixx this could you please let me know because this is the last bloody thing I need"

I uninstalled Intellipoint because I never use sideways-scroll anyway. But now, the middle mouse button shows up clicked, but switches windows. I now know that it might be Nvidia desktop thingy...

...and it is. An end to the annoyingness....

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Quote: "We shouldn't sacrifice the truth to preserve "balance"."
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 08:35 Edited at: 30th Nov 2004 08:36
I've got a nice GE 5-button optical mouse. It was only $10; I got it as a tideover for a $70 wireless one I was saving up for, but I was so happy with it I ended up keeping it. Never stutters, got a very nice mouse wheel, great design and color scheme too...

Personally I use the mouse wheel. It's my nature to constantly be moving the cursor around to hover over this or click on that, and my finger's always over the middle wheel anyways, so the 'idle scrolling' never worked for me, so it's a good idea.

Quote: "the scroll-wheel on this mouse doesn't click, but more faintly taps as you turn it. You feel it locking each turn, but it's not stiffly like Logitechs'.. you can turn it very easily but it doesn't slip accidentally. Plus it has a nice semi-rubber feel to it with very lightly extruding grips."

Okay that's weird, sounds identical to mine

[center]
"Thanks for the poncho..."
--Bill Clinton
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 05:03
Mine has an >1000-way-scroll

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 05:42
You, dear fellow, need a new camera.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 07:03 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2004 07:04
And a new mouse! That thing looks terribly uncomfortable, and there's no way it could be good for your wrist.

"Computers are useless - They can only give you answers."
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 07:41
I have that problem...well not really but my mouse fails to plug n play activate in slots 2/3 but it does in 1. I think all my other stuff does too (it has the new hardware detected bubble then takes 30 seconds to wake up).

It may be the version of USB slot or the way they are set up (I have no real idea ).

:: WinXP Pro SP 1 : 2.8 GHz Celeron : 512 MB DIMM RAM : 64 MB Radeon IGP 345M : 40 GB HDD ::
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 10:33
I should find out why it works that way.. It's obviously not uncommon though, my usb wifi adapter requires to be in usb slot 1

[center]
Come write!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 16:34
Quoting Raven:
Quote: "I go through keyboards of around 2-3 a year."

That doesn't suprise me ... maybe you should try reducing the length of your posts

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 17:56
Quote: "That doesn't suprise me ... maybe you should try reducing the length of your posts"

LOL!

I always go for old chunky second hand keyboards - I like nice solid and clicky keys, I'm currently using an old Dell keyboard which must be 10 years old or more - it's not that I look after them, it's just that keyboards used to cost £30 and would be worth the money, nowadays you can pick up a keyboard for <£5, and your lucky if they last 2 years. I mean, in the time I've had that antique Dell keyboard, my brother has went through 3 different fancy wireless and gadgety keyboards. He's got his eyes on those fancy new gamer keyboards with the special movement buttons etc, has anyone seen these? - I would'nt fancy typing on one of them but they look ideal for FPS's.

Van-B

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 19:38
Yeah, I've had this same keyboard for as long as I remember, it's just a simple IBM with the bare essentials. According to the product info on the back, it was produced in September 1996 and that's a pretty good indication of when I bought it as well. In addition to the 8 years I've already owned it for, it'll probably last me for many more years to come, however, if I do decide to purchase one earlier, then it'd have to be one of those ergonomic keyboards that are meant to prevent RSI.

"Computers are useless - They can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 20:26
Quote: "That doesn't suprise me ... maybe you should try reducing the length of your posts"

Heh, which would be all well and good but they all die from Tea.
I have a habbit of drinking alot while i'm working, but i'm pretty clumsy. They need to make a 'Water-Proof' keyboard, well probably in my case more of a Hot-Sweet-Water-Proof heh

my last keyboard was a nice logitech wireless one, that actually survived alot of tea spills; but I went away one weekend, to find that when I returned my brother had put his foot through the attic floor right into my room.. it rained and water dripped directly onto the keyboard for the entire weekend. God knows what is in the rain we get but it melted away the contacts

I could still use that old keyboard as i've got the bit of it still in a draw, just need to get new contact plates made.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 23:03
Quote: "Heh, which would be all well and good but they all die from Tea."

Yeah, I know the feeling, I had an aunt who died from tea...

Van-B

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 23:40
I've got an absolutely spiffing Logitech internet keyboard. Apparently my parents had originally got me a wireless model for last Xmas but they'd heard me mention reading about wireless keyboard buggering up with input all the time, so I've got this one and I'm extremely happy with it. I never thought I'd use quick keys but they're actually really handy... the media keys, in particular, I like, and all the keys are just silent enough that you can easily hear then, but not twenty feet away .

So far the closest thing to killing it was a mounting screw in the numpad. My '9' will never be the same

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:33:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:33:54