Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / database software?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2004 23:47
I'm looking for software that deals with logging people's hours and containing their registration details.

It needs to contains such things as name, address, phone, ethnicity, etc..

And it needs to be able to allow people to 'sign in' by typing in the current time to the end time. It needs to be able to accept times that are not the current (ie, they worked at home so they need to type in a different time than the current time)

We currently use MS Access for all this, but I find it incredibly inefficient. This isn't for payroll hours but instead for people who come in and use the lab. I work in a computer lab

Thanks

[center]
Come write!
Yarr join LoGD, and defeat other coders!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 00:00
You won't get an easier solution than Access - Access is to databases as DBPro is to DirectX.

For your problem, Access should be able to do all that, and provide a nice easy to use report system too. I mean, what your talking about is basically a form, and a table, and about a couple of hours work! - and that's giving as good a system as you'd get anywhere.

What is inefficient?, in what way?

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 00:17
I'm looking for something a little more pointed towards office management, and something un-microsoftish..

It's just enefficient in the way you have to design your database, and you have to design it to be as inefficient as possible to save worse enefficiencies

I could give you a list, but it would require me to play with access some more because I can't explain it now, I'd have to design it to put it in words

I'm pretty knowledgable in access, it's not a myself that's not understanding access, it's access doesn't do what it needs to do.

[center]
Come write!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 05:09
Surely all you need is an employee table and an employeeId/time/date table for your purpose? You might want to add a total time field for reporting purposes, but I personally would want to keep it normalised.

And I would imagine you already have a personnel table somewhere, or an LDAP server you can query. Like Van B says, it couldn't be much easier...unless you're not telling us something?

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
razorblade
Years of Service
User Offline
i know you said you didnt want anything by microsoft but access really is easy to use and powerful.

i would recommend using access to anyone

mooba!
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Access is to databases as DBPro is to DirectX"

Couldn't've said it better m'self...I tried to find free database software. There's none out there. And alternatives to access (believe it or not) tend to be more expensive than access.

Ausukusa :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 06:31
that's what I'm finding Perhaps there's nothing out there better than access, I'll have to put up with it I'd rather put up with it than to program a database

[center]
Come write!
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 06:48
Delphi (with version 6+ only Professional/Enterprise/Architect editions with Version 4 and 5 even Standard editions), has excellent database support. Almost as easy as Access.

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Version 1.02 available now!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:24:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:24:32