Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / MAKE LOVE NOT SPAM!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 17:38
It had to happen sooner or later. Someone's actually devised a scheme to shut spammers down. A scheme that actually works.

Quote: "
Net users are getting the chance to fight back against spam websites Internet portal Lycos has made a screensaver that endlessly requests data from sites that sell the goods and services mentioned in spam e-mail.

Lycos hopes will it make the monthly bandwidth bills of spammers soar by keeping their servers running flat out. The net firm estimates that if enough people sign up and download the tool, spammers could end up paying to send out terabytes of data.

"We've never really solved the big problem of spam which is that its so damn cheap and easy to do," said Malte Pollmann, spokesman for Lycos Europe. "In the past we have built up the spam filtering systems for our users," he said, "but now we are going to go one step further."

"We've found a way to make it much higher cost for spammers by putting a load on their servers."

By getting thousands of people to download and use the screensaver, Lycos hopes to get spamming websites constantly running at almost full capacity. Mr Pollmann said there was no intention to stop the spam websites working by subjecting them with too much data to cope with.

He said the screensaver had been carefully written to ensure that the amount of traffic it generated from each user did not overload the web. "Every single user will contribute three to four megabytes per day," he said, "about one MP3 file."

But, he said, if enough people sign up spamming websites could be force to pay for gigabytes of traffic every single day. Lycos did not want to use e-mail to fight back, said Mr Pollmann."That would be fighting one bad thing with another bad thing," he said.

The sites being targeted are those mentioned in spam e-mail messages and which sell the goods and services on offer.

Bill Gates is reportedly the world's most spammed person Typically these sites are different to those that used to send out spam e-mail and they typically only get a few thousand visitors per day.

The list of sites that the screensaver will target is taken from real-time blacklists generated by organisations such as Spamcop. To limit the chance of mistakes being made, Lycos is using people to ensure that the sites are selling spam goods.As these sites rarely use advertising to offset hosting costs, the burden of high-bandwidth bills could make spam too expensive, said Mr Pollmann.

Sites will also slow down under the weight of data requests. Early results show that response times of some sites have deteriorated by up to 85%.Users do not have to be registered users of Lycos to download and use the screensaver.

While working, the screensaver shows the websites that are being bothered with requests for data.The screensaver is due to be launched across Europe on 1 December and before now has only been trialled in Sweden.

Despite the soft launch, Mr Pollmann said that the screensaver had been downloaded more than 20,000 times in the last four days. "There's a huge user demand to not only filter spam day-by-day but to do something more," he said "Before now users have never had the chance to be a bit more offensive."
"

Download the screensaver here:
http://www.makelovenotspam.com

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 19:17 Edited at: 30th Nov 2004 19:17
Using bots to attack people is just wrong
Yes, attacking spammers is wrong, you know this, you shouldn't be doing it. Your ip address and request have been logged and will be reported to your ISP for further action.

hmmm.... h4x0r'd? Or is this a joke?

"And C++ has 2 version Microsoft visual C++ and Bordland C++."
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 22:37
Oh goody. DDoS in response to spam. And then it's fair game when they send viruses back to every offending IP.

Note that the website doesn't load

[center]
"Thanks for the poncho..."
--Bill Clinton
MikeyP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2004 23:45
Hrmm about time

Bit worried to click the link after Zero's message.. But it's an excellent idea... For a minute i thought Zero was against it, heh.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 01:55
Stuff searching for ET, this is more like it when it comes to screen savers Top stuff.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 02:01
it's not DDoS, the idea isn't the bombard the host with too many access calls; but rather to hit each site with enough traffic to make spammers have to pay for more just to put out thier spam.

eventually this cost will get too great and hopefully make them stop.

There is a difference between blowing up a damn, and opening up all the valves to this max

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 02:06
Although spam sucks, this screensaver is nothing more than a DDoS. The argument that its not "bombarding" with requests makes no sense. The screensaver app is making requests to the server that are auto-iniated and not being used for anything other than to put traffic on the server... DDoS

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 02:11
Same thing Raven .

Quote: "blowing up a damn"

I'd love to know how to do that

[center]
"Thanks for the poncho..."
--Bill Clinton
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 02:14
no, the screensaver will put traffic on the site, but it won't bombard it, from the description, it appears that the website will continue to function and the server will continue to function.. it's just using up their bandwidth

[center]
Come write!
Yarr join LoGD, and defeat other coders!
MikeyP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 03:04
To get most use out of the screensaver I guess, Lycos will only hit each site once or twice [Or any resonable amount] A day or whatever, But with enough people using the screensaver, this will probably take effect
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 03:40 Edited at: 1st Dec 2004 03:43
The website was hacked. Lycos is working to fix it. It's funny that it got hacked.

Quote: " DDoS in response to spam"

It's not DDoS. It's a slow burn bandwidth scheme. It's as if you were silently browsing their webpage. They want you to browse it anyways by clicking the link in the email.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 04:25
Stuff it, if it used *all* my bandwidth when I'm not using the machine then I would be happy. Spammers are as bad as virus writers in my book. Worse if anything as sometimes viruses can be nice (Italian virus from years ago for example - the bouncy ball one), and spam is always amazingly annoying.

It would be better though if it could detect that all my machines on the network were idle then bombard the sites.

Now if only someone would could make something that identifies pop-up/under adverts and nukes the sites that belong to them. That I would pay for. Hell make a new TV channel with the people who came up with them losing their livelyhoods and stuff. Ah.... Happy thoughts.... Oh, and specifically car sites, they seem to love the annoying pop-under type ads. Grrrrr....

As to the website being hacked, can't see the link. Thought it was to reduce annoying spam, not hackers. Obviously was a big target though. Would have been funny if someone had managed to get the site itself on the list of spam targets.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 06:13
lol, i wouldn't doubt if some of the spammers aren't hackers themselves

[center]
Come write!
Yarr join LoGD, and defeat other coders!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 08:01
Or have h4x0rs in their employ !

[center]--Mouse
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 09:10
Quote: "Or have h4x0rs in their employ "

You mean like Microsoft? It was recently discovered that Windows XP was released with a .wav file that was recorded using pirated sound forge 4.5 software.

The notorious .wav file is "Windows\Help\Tours\WindowsMediaPlayer\Audio\Wav".

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 09:13
Quote: "You mean like Microsoft? It was recently discovered that Windows XP was released with a .wav file that was recorded using pirated sound forge 4.5 software.

The notorious .wav file is "Windows\Help\Tours\WindowsMediaPlayer\Audio\Wav". "

Heh, I just read about this like 1 week ago. I laughed so hard, then cried for humanity.

"And C++ has 2 version Microsoft visual C++ and Bordland C++."
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 09:21 Edited at: 1st Dec 2004 09:21
Quote: "
You mean like Microsoft? It was recently discovered that Windows XP was released with a .wav file that was recorded using pirated sound forge 4.5 software."

Quite frankly I think that's overrated as a news tidbit... so someone in Microsoft's employ took a sound home to work on and used some pirated software. Nobody would be making nearly such a fuss about it if it wasn't the big dog. I'm no fan of Microsoft but that's a bit gratuitous.

[center]--Mouse

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:31:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:31:16