Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark Game SDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 03:59
I'm taking this oppertunity to create a thread all about Dark Game SDK. This looks like an interesting product, and opens up the DB engine to professional developers without the bugs of the DBPro IDE. I have 1 question:

-Is there going to be a commercial licence?

@ All: Use this thread for any questions you have with Dark Game SDK.

luke

TI 126Mhz, 584MB RAM, no HDD, 320x320 screen... wait that's my Palm
>> Athlon XP 2400+, 512MB RAM, 120GB HDD, XP Pro SP2 with DX 9.0c
Want an eight way Opteron *workstation*
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 04:07
Some information on the licences -

Freeware - cannot sell your games
Shareware - can sell your games online
Commercial - will be available at some point in the future

Mike
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 04:20
Will DarkSDK handle events, sound, and everything else the regular DBP handles?

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 04:23
It contains all of the functions that are in DB Pro. As an example here's some function calls for sound and music -

Mike
Luke B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 04:27
How's about DLLs: I'm thinking about using the NG Collision DLL, the expansion pack, cloth + particle physics and more in my current project, will they work in Dark Game SDK?

@ Lee + Mike: Great work! Dark Game SDK does look fantastic!

luke

TI 126Mhz, 584MB RAM, no HDD, 320x320 screen... wait that's my Palm
>> Athlon XP 2400+, 512MB RAM, 120GB HDD, XP Pro SP2 with DX 9.0c
Want an eight way Opteron *workstation*
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 04:29
We have converted the standard terrain expansion pack and that's included in the SDK but the other expansion packs we have developed are not included. We have plans to get them working in the SDK.

Mike
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 04:43 Edited at: 1st Dec 2004 04:43
@Mike - Sounds great! I have a licensing question. I am developing a language in C# called GameBasic, and am currently using the free (and very awesome) Irrlicht engine. However, the .NET support for it is unfinished, so I can't use everything I need. I would love to switch over to DarkSDK as it would make my life a lote easier. Would there be a problem with getting the freeware version of DarkSDK, using its engine with GameBasic, and releasing GameBasic for free?

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 04:44
That seems fine as long as you're releasing your software for free.

Mike
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 04:45
Mike, how do you stop people from selling their games - is their a splash screen / watermark?

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 04:48
There is no watermark or splash screen.

There is something in the EULA about placing some text in your game referring to the SDK. Can't be sure. Only had a very brief look at it.

Works on trust really

Mike
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 04:49 Edited at: 1st Dec 2004 04:50
@Mike - Thanks for the quick response! Would love to know the release date as I need to finish a decent amount of GameBasic by the end of the year for my university degree project

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 04:51
You can get the SDK right now from [href]darkgamesdk.thegamecreators.com[/href]

Mike
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 04:57
Oops, my bad

I can't find any guarantee on the site. If we purchase it only to find out it's not exactly what we thought, is there a return policy? I hate purchasing something if there's no chance of getting my money back if I'm not satisfied

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 04:58
You can always contact support if there are any problems.

Mike
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 07:31
will TGC honor the rebates for versions that arent out yet? The news letter says something about 10% off for dbp'ers and 10% off for purchase before 2004 ends, but what if I dont purchase until a version I can use is out (ie for vb.net/vb6 etc) and its not before 2004 ends?

am I S.O.L. or what?

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 10:38
Also, is there any word on whether we can use C#.net instead of C++.net with DarkSDK?

Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Could I use Code Warrior because I do not own VC++.net and do not have any plans on buying it.

TO DENY MY WISDOM FOR ANGER
TO BREAK THE SCREAM OF THE SILENT FOOL
TO BE A KNIGHTRIDER OF DOOM... OF DOOM!
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 14:02
I think we need a forum fo Dark SDK, to go with the new FPS creator forum...

p.s. I bought my copy this morning, should be able to download soon

any thoughts Rich?

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Erick G
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 15:25
Hey Walaber I spoke to mike last night, there will be a forum

I am eagerly awaiting my download Are you going to convert your DLL to Dark SDK ?
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 15:39
there is no need. you can use Newton straight because you're working in C++!! I will make some demos however, that show how to use Newton with DarkSDK. I'm interested to see if there's any performance increase in my existing demos...

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Erick G
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 15:41
oh i am sure there will be a huge performance increase. Does this mean I can use NGC too as there is a C++ version ?
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 17:09
Quote: "Would there be a problem with getting the freeware version of DarkSDK, using its engine with GameBasic, and releasing GameBasic for free?"

I'd just like to add something (which will probably stop you buying it!) but the license covers GAMES only. You would not be permitted to create 'GameBasic' with it, sorry.

Quote: "If we purchase it only to find out it's not exactly what we thought, is there a return policy?"

No return policy on electronic items, sorry. This is explained in a little more detail at the bottom of the pages when you click on the 'Buy Now' buttons if you want to read it all.

Quote: "will TGC honor the rebates for versions that arent out yet? The news letter says something about 10% off for dbp'ers and 10% off for purchase before 2004 ends, but what if I dont purchase until a version I can use is out (ie for vb.net/vb6 etc) and its not before 2004 ends?"

Discounts apply for the product on sale at this exact moment in time, not on what may or may not be supported in a future version. The 10% discount for DBPro owners is an on-going thing that we will keep into next year. The extra 10% 2004 discount will, of course, expire at the end of this year.

Which doesn't mean we won't do something similar next year.

re: Forum - it'll be coming today, as will the downloads for those who have bought it.

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 17:22
Quote: "I'd just like to add something (which will probably stop you buying it!) but the license covers GAMES only. You would not be permitted to create 'GameBasic' with it, sorry."

No problem, and that wouldn't stop me from buying it. The reason I won't buy it now is because it doesn't support C#.net. Once it does (if ever) then I will gladly get it

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 19:27 Edited at: 1st Dec 2004 19:29
Quote: "This Agreement is effective until you terminate it by destroying the Software and its documentation together with all copies. It will also terminate if you fail to abide by its terms. Upon termination you agree to destroy all copies of the Software and its documentation including any Software stored on the hard disk of any computer under your control."

Do I smell a loop hole?
I mean, from my ( limited ) understanding of that passage, I can make a "freeware" game, then simply "destroy" all reminents of DarkSDK, and then start charging for the afore mentioned "freeware" game...?

Quote: "5.2 The Owner warrants that during the Warranty Period the Software will perform substantially in accordance with its accompanying documentation (including the Readme file contained on this CD-ROM) which may include documentation posted on the Owner’s Internet site at www.thegamecreators.com (provided always that the Software is properly used on the computer and with the operating system for which it was designed) and that the documentation correctly describes the operation of the Software in all material respects. If the Owner is notified of material failures of the Software to comply with the above warranty during the Warranty Period it will use its reasonable endeavours to correct the Software or its documentation within a reasonable time so that it complies with the above warranty or (at its option) to procure or authorise a refund (against return of the Software and its documentation)."

Does that roughly translate into;
If, within the "warranty period" DarkSDK is defunctional in some way, when it shouldn't be ( provided it has been set-up and used right ), then, resources permitting, you have to try to fix it?
If so, I like that

One last thing,
Will updates be free for the DarkSDK, and if I were to purchase it now, taking advantage of the 20% discount I can receive, but not use it untill Dev-C++ support is out, will I have to pay anything extra to have it work with Dev-C++?

Thanks Guys

Jess.

[EDIT] No 20% discount for Jess
I bought DBP from another place, not TGC.
...I could get proof of purchase for that, will that be enough? Don't suppose so...
[/EDIT]

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 22:36 Edited at: 1st Dec 2004 22:37
Jess - Updates for it, as with DBPro, will be free. But as always, we reserve the right (blah blah blah) to change this policy. Not that we ever have in the past 5 years mind you.

Proof of purchase isn't enough, sorry. You'll have to make-do with a 10% discount instead.

There are no plans for the Dev C++ version to cost any extra money, it'll just be an upgrade.

Quote: "Do I smell a loop hole? I mean, from my ( limited ) understanding of that passage, I can make a "freeware" game, then simply "destroy" all reminents of DarkSDK, and then start charging for the afore mentioned "freeware" game...?"

"The Software" would be IN your game though. So if you destroy all copies of your game, then you've nothing left to sell

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2004 13:28
Beauty, thanks

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy