Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Can you Survive the horror ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 09:40 Edited at: 1st Dec 2004 09:45
Yep another attempt at the Suvival horror genre. We started this over the summer tho have stopped for the time being due to work etc. We hope to continue possibly over the Xmas period. Anyway heres a few screen shots i found of where we are currently up to, (all shots are in-game) The first two shots are of the pre-rendered engine we developed:

Everything is coded using DB Classic and the Darkmatter expansion!

(Take no notice of the charicter a new one has been created, just not yep implimented)

These two are of a real-time engine also to be used in-game:

Any comments are appreciated, cheers

Psync.
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 11:33
Very impressive! The only problem I see is that character model, but that is a non-issue as it is a stand in! Awsome work! I can't wait to see the final product.

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problem anymore.
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 11:47
Indeed, I peticualary like the enviroment.

Think what you like, you'll all be mine in the end.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 18:44
awesome, reminds me of the Evil Dead games.... and also the movie hmm, evil dead 1 is one of my favourite movie, I love bruce campell... I mean, I do not love.... I like him... um.. as an actor...

This is a Map Editor ver 2 DEMO Out now! http://www.tiame.tk
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 19:15
Why do people always show off thier games with the debug information showing?

Looks good though

bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 19:50
This looks great dude, certinally got further than the horror game that we were making (Porject Red Dawn). Our team ran away. But this game looks brilliant. Reminds me of Resident Evil 1. Although it does take a lot of effort to cretae a 3rd person horror. Do you have msn?
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2004 23:09
Quote: " Why do people always show off thier games with the debug information showing?
"

It's a silent reminder that it's work in progress, the default font is something people recognize and, in games, assossiate with DBP, and many people don't opt to make it optional information until late in development .

chilledoutjohn-> Very good looking indeed. A 2d and 3d engine in DarkBASIC for a Resident Evil-esque game doesn't sound too promising as a concept to me, but it obviously works quite well. Great job!

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2004 02:08
Looks nice chille! keep up the good work.

Pøõfĕssõø
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2004 02:30
Why are you using DBC?

DBPro is waaaay better.
chilledoutjohn
Years of Service
User Offline
Everyone seems to have abandoned Classic (and at times i can see why!!) but its all we have at the moment and its nice to see what we can get out of the old'en. Also we are newbie coders so better to stick with the basics.

cheers for the comments!
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
nice shadows
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2004 05:46
Looks very good, like the textures.

Have you ever used Cartography Shop? Some of your levels with some lightmapping would look awesome!

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2004 06:58
Very good looking. Hope to see another another great survival horror game!

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
chilledoutjohn
Years of Service
User Offline
David T: No i havent used Cartography Shop however even though it may not show in the screen shots (you can just about see it on the bed/seat thing in the 3rd screen shot the post casts a shadow on the wall) the realtime engine does use lightmapping done in 3D-Max i know many people have had trouble doing this (in DB Classic anyway), if anyones intrested i'd be happy to explain how.
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2004 12:07
Nice work. The graphics look way better than in most DB games I've seen. Good luck on the project.

UNVIDIA GeFartFX 5600 Crud Edition
Featuring an unbeatable 0-1 FPS in 3DMark05!
If Return to Proxycon were a game, I would die before I saw my dead body!
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2004 13:00
The floor and wall textures in the last 2 shots look kinda garbaged... Bad jpeg?

Would like to see some screenies with enemies. I hope you don't use zombies, they're too cliche . Also, with that camera, it'll be hard to get the hang of aiming, especially with a keyboard. The levels look convincingly spooky!

I spelled "disappointment" wrong. Pahintulutan ang di-inaasahang nakakahiyang pagkakamaling dulot ng kamangmangan. Have at you.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2004 14:00
john, i wouldn't mind talking with you about how you achieved the projected shadows. think i have an idea on how it could be done, but never actually got any working at a decent framerate in DB Enhanced.

the way i used to try to do it was, have an volume version of the object i wanted to project.. then grab the alpha where it intersects, finishing by simply darkening the pixels within the alpha post rendering (during the first loop before the next render loop)

i found using a timer, and then syncing every 1/30th while the FPS never hit more than 30.. the program in the background had enough speed for other things. was the only way I could use the memblocks to build levels real-time based on my EasyBSP, for lightmaps the only options available within db itself were overlay (second mesh) which ment cutting scene polygon counts in half, or by pre-blended textures. when GuyS released his Image Blending DLL though, I promptly bought DarkMatter to get enhanced and use that.. got a fantastic speed boost cause it was blended in Pascal (in the DLL) rather than in the program. Always ment to make a BackBuffer grabber so that I could sort faster Alpha, but didn't learn C++ properly until DBP was out.. by which time i'd moved on.

This said, I saw a demo earlier today with someone doing Vertex Lighting which I never knew was possible in DB.. so would be cool to know how you've done it, and what framerates your getting.

Most of my early stuff was done on a Duron 800MHz / 512MB PC133 / Savage4 Pro 32MB. For DB that was relatively powerful, but the Graphics card brought speed down alot.. didn't realise that until getting my GeForce2

chilledoutjohn
Years of Service
User Offline
Raven<
I said lightmapped mite be the wrong term, As i said i did all the shadows in 3d max but i used texture bake so the shadows are static (for the environment anyway) but if you want to know how i did that i'll write it up for ya.

arkheii<
The problem with the floor and wall textures are just they are of low resolution, nothing that cant be fixed, as for the aiming we will definetly TRY and program an auto aim feature of some sort to stop any confusion.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 06:08
Quote: "john, i wouldn't mind talking with you about how you achieved the projected shadows. think i have an idea on how it could be done, but never actually got any working at a decent framerate in DB Enhanced."

The common mehtod, at least, is simply to color black and flatten an object. Especially with flat floors like you'll have in 99% of survival horror games, I imagine it works fairly well.

chilledoutjohn
Years of Service
User Offline
I think raven ment the shadows on the walls etc, as i said they are done using texture bake, the shadow on the floor is a model colored black.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 04:29
It's a shame this isn't done in DBPro, you could get rid of those nasty limbs.
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 17:34
Whooray for Survival Horror games, and Bruce Campell! Looks great! As far as I am aware, I haven't seen a survival horror done in DBC (or DBP) before. To be honest, up until I started posting here, I never checked the WIP much, though. Anxious to play this!

"This is amy Boomstick!"

Home of DOOP, Strata Works, and Height

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:28:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:28:39