Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / About the Brown Noise...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
a while ago we were having a debate about the brown noise (sound frequency which causes people to let go of their stomach contents)

loads of you were sceptical, well...

in physics the other day we found an unguarded sound making thingy... and immediately liberated it.

Plugged it in, and "find the brown noise" i said- the kid next to me started twisting and turning the controls. everyone standing around felt wierd things happening all over there bodies, at one frequency some of us were feeling sick, at others we seriously found it hard to breath, and at one point, yup... we all suddenly jumped as we suddenly felt our insides churning like what you feel inside when your about to need to go, it was only for a split second since he was cycling through the frequencies so didn;t stay long enough to make us all rip...

theres this one kid i dont like though who's neck twitched instead... maybe that prooves he has an arse for a face, heh...

MikeyP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 02:32 Edited at: 4th Dec 2004 02:34
Oh intresting! Your teacher happen to find out? Could've questioned them, and then found a mic and had some fun!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 03:06
hehe...use the PA system

"We make the worst games in the universe."

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 03:12
Quote: " (sound frequency which causes people to let go of their stomach contents)"

Ah, that's the cause. I always thought it had something to do with the pre-show backstage parties.

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Version 1.02 available now!
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
we stopped when one kid told us that the schools sound technician told him that thers a sound which kills everyone in earshot.

MikeyP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 06:05
:/ He telling the truth?
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 06:14
Not true, it can't kill ya. Scientists just managed to make ULFs kill chickens (and I'm not sure about that either), it's going to take more than a few kids to harm a human.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 06:44
Brown Noise - is that another term for the resonant frequency of your body?

BatVink
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 08:11

Raven: That said, I DO say 'that said' a lot. 'Nuf said.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 09:16
Quote: ""

Why?

That's pretty cool El_Goorf. Imagine the chaos to be had if you got that thing into the lunch room.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 11:22
LOL I remember an episode of south park where they found the Brown noise, and the whole world heard it, causing everybody in the world to crap their pants, thus creating mass destruction! LOL!

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problem anymore.
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 12:26
hm...I could use a brown noise right about now....

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
You could make your own program, but be careful, there's a noize that rises your blood pressure by 10000%, thus causing your organs to pop and you to die a horrible death of implosion.

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Quote: "We shouldn't sacrifice the truth to preserve "balance"."
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 14:04
Quote: " Brown Noise - is that another term for the resonant frequency of your body?"

I believe it is the resonant frequency of your bowel, but unfortunately since no-ones bowel is exacly the same there isn't really an exact frequency, although from what i've heard noises around the 11Hz region cause some soilage

Join the Expert Discussion forums dag nammit!
http://www.expertdiscussion.com
Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 14:06
Quote: "You could make your own program, but be careful, there's a noize that rises your blood pressure by 10000%, thus causing your organs to pop and you to die a horrible death of implosion.
"

Well if it's a "noize" I guess we don't have to worry much

Heh, Brown Noise is such an appropriate name...

Formerly Konrad =) Gl and hf
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 14:31
SOMEONE MAKE THE PROGRAM I SOOOOOO WANT IT I WANT TO CRAP MY PANTZ

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 15:03
there is a frequency that will compleatly blow you apart.

but getting that frequency is the problem...

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
i image that'd have to be a very high pitched noise indeed. me and a mate in physics last yr were talking about how u could do a real high pitched noise and use it to crumble an entire city and no-one would know.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 16:18
For those that care, 7Hz is the resonant frequency of a chicken skull. Some trivia just stays stuck in the gray matter.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
How much power would you need to create a loud(very loud) noise that is 36,000,000,000(36 billion) frequency?
(Or, what kind of capacitor would you need?)

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 03:51
How hard is it to make 7hz? Seems odd that if sounds can destroy so easily, they aren't already being used more

[center]
Join the fun in #darkbasic!
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 04:00
The 7hz thing is actually mentioned in the 16bit turbo c++ compiler help files

The 3d chat is coming...
Rights For Traffic Cones!
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 05:27
The "brown noise" was invented for South Park, it isn't real.

pizzaman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 05:28
Quote: "How hard is it to make 7hz? Seems odd that if sounds can destroy so easily, they aren't already being used more "

It's pretty easy to get any frequency of sound (except really high frequencies like 1 GHz and over), however the intensity of the sound - basically how loud it is, needs to be very high. This means that a lot of energy is needed to blow something up that it becomes impracticle to use it as a weapon.

Also the rate at which sound dissipates due to air is inversly proportion to the square distance from the sound, which means even if you had a high intensity sound (say large enough to kill you at the right frequency), within 25 - 75 metres the sounds intensity wouldn't be large enough to kill you any more.

@ El_Goorf
Your oscilloscope must have been connected up to some pretty loud and good quality speakers to feel (as you can't hear it - its below our hearing range) the brown noise, because you need a large intensity level for the sound to be effective and most speakers don't go below 20 Hz (generally), as we can't hear it.

pizzaman
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 05:52
Quote: " The "brown noise" was invented for South Park, it isn't real."

Oh really? Well, I've attached the brown noise pitch to this forum thread. Let's see if it's real or not

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 05:57
Dang you Jeku! These were my favorite pants!

Xander Moser - Bolt Software - Firewall
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Your oscilloscope must have been connected up to some pretty loud and good quality speakers to feel (as you can't hear it - its below our hearing range) the brown noise, because you need a large intensity level for the sound to be effective and most speakers don't go below 20 Hz (generally), as we can't hear it"

just because you can;t here it doesnt mean it doesnt have an effect on your body. scientists prooved this by secretly playing inaudiable pitches in a hall where people had some kind of meeting. theres moods swung in time to the sound. all i remember was this was in Focus (a sience magazine) if i could find the issue number and page i would, but i got so dam many i cant find anything)

pizzaman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 07:06 Edited at: 5th Dec 2004 07:08
Quote: "just because you can;t here it doesnt mean it doesnt have an effect on your body"

Of course your right, but I never said "just because you can't hear it, it dosn't effect you". What I was saying was the speakers that are needed to produce the brown noise, need to be turned up to a loud volume (ie high sound intensity level) to be able to have an effect, and because the frequency used (I think its between 12-13.5 Hz) is below 20 Hz, humans cannot hear the sound but they could still feel it if the intensity level is high enough.

Since humans can't hear below 20 Hz, speakers are not designed to produce sound frequencies below 20 Hz - hence good quality speakers are needed.

Also for all you people who are thinking of playing the brown noise over a PA system, it won't work because the speakers couldn't produce a high enough sound intesity level, and the speakers wouldn't go below 20 Hz anyways.
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 07:34
Yeah, PA speakers really stink. They can't even produce decent bass, much less a frequency low enough to discharge the bowel contents of the all the unfortunate people that happen to be in the entire public building. I can just imagine...

Oraculaca
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 09:38 Edited at: 5th Dec 2004 09:38
There was a band , I think they were called Tad and they supported Soundgarden one time at The Barrowlands. They claimed that there bass guitar could generate 'brown noise' they left it lying on stage generating some sort of feedback after the gig. Needless to say it didnt work. Or not so I could smell anyways.
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 10:15
The military and police agencies are already taking advantage of such sound frequencys as a alternative to deadly force, they found a frequencey that can make a person sick to the point that they will fall to their kneese, and barf, so maybe you could try finding the Green noice instead? LOL

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problem anymore.
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Oh really? Well, I've attached the brown noise pitch to this forum thread. Let's see if it's real or not"

So, where is it?

And is there a noise that makes you go to sleep?

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 11:25
The Final Fantasy 8 soundtrack.......

Sony stole our name!
Dylnuge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 11:35
That was a joke, lol (I assume). Brown noise might exist, but its at frequancies that our ears cant hear but can still cause things to happen, like SONAR or ultrasonic vision. I belive its possible, if you have the worlds greatest sound syetem, and for that price, if you want to kill everyone, just buy a nuke . (BTW means that was a joke, ilya). Some less powerful ones probabbly can be done on a good sound system, though.

Tranzerk Technologies Current Project: Action Bum (credit to Raffael Coronelli)
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 11:37
Ouch, BCDP, watch out for the FF fans, though I've never played a single FF game, and I'm not planing to.

Anyways, I found a sound with frequency 42,649 Hz, nobody could hear it, so I played it for 3 days, then the next day I noticed that all the dogs within my city died. Yessss

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 11:42
Actually, I am listening to the FF8 soundtrack now

You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. He looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that god was having trouble with.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
it'd work on my speakers ^_^

Quote: "humans cannot hear the sound but they could still feel it if the intensity level is high enough."

or just touch a nearby object, for example we could feel and sometimes see the desk vibrating that the sound making thingy was on.

Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 06:16 Edited at: 6th Dec 2004 06:17
Oh, and don't think that I didn't miss that hidden message in your avatar Eric T.. Don't think for a second, muahahaha, I'm always on the hunt.

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 07:23
Hmm, I wonder what frequency would make the earth explode.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 09:13
42,9e9 Hz...

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 10:49
Are you seriouse?

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 11:18
Crap! Edit your post before TCA finds it

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz | 512 MB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB
MS VC++ .Net | Dev-C++ | Wings3D | CharacterFX | Gimp v2.0
Prayne de crabug ahm rinedere be-yogt iglo kes gron
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 13:11

Sony stole our name!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 23:17
Quote: "Are you seriouse?"

Of..course I am, I tested it a while ago

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 04:45
Quote: "So, where is it?"

You don't hear it? You must be immune to low frequencies--- consider yourself lucky.

<-- means it was a joke.

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 05:54
LOl watch something like this happen....

"today on myth-busters we are going to test the myth, that by playing this frequency, we will be able to blow up the earth, Testing now, 3.2.1"

*earth explodes*

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 11:34
oops

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 11:58
http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/153_sonicweapons.shtml

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1