Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Lessons learned - the TGC contest

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 16:43 Edited at: 5th Dec 2004 00:22
I thought I'd post some observations made and see if anyone had something to share to make next year's entries better.

1. Test! Test! Test!

While I got a few people to test my game on other platforms, I did not get play testing data as much as compatibility testing data. If I would have asked better questions, I could have gotten more effective feedback. I ended up having a few glitches because I played my game like a pro and not a rookie.

For example, in Ice Snake, the music did not loop. No biggie as I could blaze through most levels in a minute. So, I failed to notice that new players and judges can easily take much more time to complete a level.

2. Make special bonuses and powers accessible.

If you have some cool powers and special effects, don't hide them and hope that the judges find them. Make your cheat codes known and accessible within the game. Post them in the readme file or perhaps create a special 'judge level' where they can see all the effects in a quick tour/tutorial.

I did something right in mentioning in the readme file that you could score extra points for sinking soccer balls or pool balls on some of the levels.

3. Give the judges more lives.

The judges are not elite gaming ninja that will intuitively master your game. Give them more lives (or a handy dandy cheat code) so they can experience more of the game.

I turned around blew it because while the judges may have known about the soccer field and pool table levels, they probably never got to see them.

4. Include the ability to skip levels.

Sometimes, extra lives is not enough if they get stuck on a given puzzle. Give the judges the ability to see all of your game.

5. Include designer notes.

All best intentions aside, often a judge will not see the blood and sweat that you put into a design decision in the name of game balance or fun. Include in your notes a section about the game design decisions you made and they might appreciate what at first looks like an artificial difficulty.

In Ice Snake, for example, it is more difficult to climb up hills. The idea is to force the player to navigate the valleys and slither around the berries, mines, and mushrooms and not that the brute force short cut over the hits and obstacles. I was so used to the feature that I didn't mention it in the readme file and I believe my score suffered because of it.

Thoughts?
--
TAZ

[edit for typos]

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 17:00
Quote: "The judges are not elite gaming ninja that will intuitively master your game."

I assume you're excluding Rich there, right?

"Computers are useless - They can only give you answers."
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2004 22:48
Presentation, Presentation, Presentation

Absolutely everything in your game should glean with professionalism. If one thing looks amaturish it completely blows your game. Don't move on from a particular part until it absolutely looks as good as it can be.

Nothing should appear, everything should grow of fade in.
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 00:10 Edited at: 5th Dec 2004 00:45
I learned one thing.

There doesn't seem to be any problems if you violate Competition Rule #11:

All media used in your game must be copyright free or used with written permission.

The winning game, "Virtual Lawn Mower", uses these Nintendo songs in their game:

Mp2_Western.mp3
"Western Theme", Taken from Mario Party 2
(C) Copyright 2000 Nintendo

Mp3_Ch.mp3
"Chance Time", Taken from Mario Party 3
(C) Copyright 2001 Nintendo

Victory.mid
"Victory", Taken from Super Mario Kart
(C) Copyright 1992 Nintendo

Now the developers of this game even disclosed that this music was already copyrited, as you can tell from the very last line in their "ReadMe.txt" file, which says:

All Music (c) Nintendo

So ... I guess that this is good news for us as game developers entering in these competitions! Even if we steal music from a company as well known as Nintendo, we won't be disqualified or even penalized!

That should make future competitions easier for all of us!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 00:18
Submit your game, no matter what you think of it!

with three and a half weeks until deadline I updated to 5.7. It caused a conflict with ApexNow's CSMimporter which I was using to create the levels in my game.

Because of this, I was unable to work on my game until three days before the deadline was up!

Which meant I only had a single level to submit and all the cool features I wanted to include had to be left out.

I wasn't going to submit what I thought was an incomplete game but a few forum members who had tried the demo encouraged me to upload it. So, I did and it received three red stars - best of the best!

Just goes to show - You are not the best judge of your game. Other people will see good and bad points that you can't. So, submit and let the judges decide

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 00:22
I didn't enter, but here is some useful advice.

You are your own worst critic. Only you know how you game should turn out, and exactly what things should look like.

If you really can't get something working properly, compromise.

A judge will likely notice a nice touch such as a smooth menu scrolling onto a page, bu they won't dock marks just because a menu simply appears.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 00:32
6.) The judges won't play through your whole game, so include cheats.

7.) Also, don't forget to include those cheats in your read-me.

*slaps self*

8.) Graphics don'ot have to be the greatest ever, but they do have to be pleasing to the eye.

9.) Have lots of music, so it doesn't get repetitive.

-------------------------------------------
Tobias Quan, that's crap. I as well noticed this when I played.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 01:40
Quote: "Tobias Quan, that's crap. I as well noticed this when I played."

You agreeing or disagreeing?

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 01:45
Agreeing.

Just because it was a good game, doesn't mean the makers should get away with it. Not sure how that should be handled though, since the compo. is over.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 02:20
Nice tips guys ! Thanks!

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 10:19
Here is my lesson I learned...

If you don't make a game for the contest, you probably won't win

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problem anymore.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 14:27
You've only just learned that? I would've thought the laws of common sense could have deduced that for you.

JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 15:02
Hey Exeat, just sent you an email. Obviously off topic, but I've been waiting all day for you to get online.

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 02:10
Quote: " You've only just learned that? I would've thought the laws of common sense could have deduced that for you. "

Of course I knew that, it was a joke.

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problem anymore.
robo cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 02:26
I learnt 2 major things:

Music
Don't use midi, use mp3 instead, as the judges may not be able to hear it if they don't have a midi driver.

Difficulty
Make the game easier than normal as the judges don't have time to progress through the game at a normal rate.

Simple... yet fun!
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
looking at the results i really wish i'd entered mine.

ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 03:06 Edited at: 6th Dec 2004 03:07
Here's what I learned:

The crappiest games get the funniest reviews. Hence:
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?gf=2004compo_view&i=65

"Some who die deserve life, and some who live deserve death. Can you give it to them, Frodo?" - Gandalf the Grey
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't forget Operation Dragon.

There is only one way to package shaolin: Shaolin Soccer...
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 05:33
@robo cat

I don't know about the MIDI thing. I think that if the Judges computers cannot even play MIDI files, then the judges should perhaps upgrade their computers. MIDI is built right into DarkBasic. DarkBasic even comes with some MIDI files.

If you entered a game with MIDI files and the judges claimed they couldn't hear it, I think that's a problem with the current judging system.
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 05:54
1) Don't count your features before they hatch.
Only one month into the competition I programmed a Menu Screen that had about 20 adjustable options for the features I wanted. During the last week I spent all my time deleting the unworking options.

2) Work on the most needed features first.
I spent hours trying to program a smoke effect before I had even finished the basic controls. (Never did get the smoke working)

3) Keep the controls simple.
Up until the last two weeks of the competition the controls to rotate your turret was to Hold Ctrl and Repeatedly Tap Up/Down.

4) AI is Actually Important.
I put a lot of time into programming my computer players. I gave them different personalities and adjustable difficulties. If I hadn't programmed AI, I probably would have only scored two stars.

5) Make it playable!!!
I noticed the games that scored the lowest were the ones that were either way too hard or had terrible (or no) controls. Obviously a game is only fun if you can play it.

The computer isn't an addiction, its more of a mental and social dependancy.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 05:56
Quote: "Of course I knew that, it was a joke."

Likewise.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 11:09
give yourself enough time to finish

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 21:33
You will get 80% of the work done in 20% of the time

Based on this rule of life, you should get your game working quite closely to the intended result. Use cubes and placeholders at this point.

From this point it's all about prioritising. List everything that it must have (e.g graphics!), followed by everything you'd like to include. If you reach the nice-to-haves, you have done well.

Don't be afraid to change priorities, it is inevitable.

BatVink
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 21:50
Don't Compromise
If you run into a bug...don't just slap a patch on that seems to make it go away without understanding what happened...Search your code and understand your own code (Yes your own code can get out of hand sometimes!) until you understand exactly what happened...or you will have bugs lying all over the place by the end...

Get lots of music EARLY
don't leave music for the last day like me (i had to use some music somebody made for me awhile ago...and since it didn't fit in-game...there was no music in-game, which worked okay for my game)

Test! Test! Test!
this i actually learned more in a different compo...but oh well...

play your game for 10-20 mins as often as you can...if everything works fine then get back to coding...if it doesn't work fine then find the bug and Don't Compromise!

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:26:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:26:26