Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Successful Charity Event using DB Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 06:10 Edited at: 6th Dec 2004 06:15
In the global scheme of things, a local Christmas Fair isn't that big. But...I used a DB Pro written game with a public audience for the first time today, and it went down a storm (maybe that's a Yorkshire phrase, it means it was very well received )

The basics of the game is "Splat the Rat", the traditional game of whacking poor defenceless creatures over the head with a hammer. This child-friendly version uses custard pies, and photographs of "willing", upstanding members of the local community (including a doctor and a social worker!).

There's a host of features which make it suitable for a fundraising event, which I may go into at a later date. Needless to say, it includes protecting your expensive computer equipment and making sure nobody can do anything except play the game.

I ran the game on an overhead projector, kindly lent to me by the company I work for. It stood out from the crowd and became an instant attraction - computer game in your face! The volume was cranked up with an arcade style adrenalin-pumping track.

I didn't get a single moment of peace the whole afternoon. The competition was fierce amongst friends, and I got a host of parents, teachers and the local priest cheering them all on. The highest scores of the day won the prizes, and it was won, quite literally, on the last game.

Screen shots below. This is part of an ongoing project, due for release next year. You can see the menu, in-game screen, and the hi-score table, which includes graphics of the prizes on offer. There were also certificates for the best players. As you can also see, it was fully customised for the event.

Footnote: You may notice the number of girl's names on the Hi Score table. My contestants were about 90% girls, 10% boys. This took me by surprise. Looking back at the day, I think it was a case of the boys not wanting to be shown up by the girls!!!

BatVink

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 06:12
Fantastic, BatVink ! I'm very impressed.

1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 06:49
I wouldn't've thought a game made with DBP would be good as a fundraiser.

Great job!

Regards,
1tg46

Click the sig
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 09:12
Excellent!

"And C++ has 2 version Microsoft visual C++ and Bordland C++."
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 11:17
Very nice.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 13:34
sweetz0rz

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 23:47 Edited at: 6th Dec 2004 23:47
One important point I wanted to add...

The game never crashed, and it ran for over 3 hours, constantly, without any problems whatsoever. That's more of a credit to the language than the code I wrote using it.

There are a number of complaints about the instability of DB Pro, but I think this project is living testament that you can work around any issues and make sound applications. It just takes a little care, careful coding, determination and a reason to get it right!

BatVink

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:33:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:33:10