Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dev C++ - A few questions(Yes I know it's on the way already, it's not about that)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 02:56
This first paragraph is directed at Mike.

As far as getting Dev C++ to work what challenges or problems have you faced. I am finding just out of the box install for Dev C++ I can get it do some windows programming and a little direct x although I haven't messed around too much with that. That aside, I am very interested in Dark SDK. And I was ready to buy FPSC

By the way, for those that are complaining about the cost of Dark SDK need to know three things about it.

A.) Will be cheaper than the Torque engine to develop on. If you combine DevC++ and the freeware license of the Dark SDK, you have already saved $40. The shareware license though $200 still gives you an edge over Torque. You can sell any game you create over the internet. Look at how well Steam did. Valve made a bundle and VU lost out.

B.) Those complaining about the higher cost do not realize that C++ is a powerfull language in which combined with the Dark SDK you will be able to do more. In fact, it sounds like they have never programmed in C++. Well this is your lucky day. Download Dev-C++ and grab yourself a copy of Dietel C++ How to program Fourth Edition(I thought the Second Edition was the best) and have some fun learning a new language. C++ is a must in today's world to program powerful 3D games. Look at Doom 3. Pure C++ with the OpenGL API. C#, VB and Java still don't cut it just yet, but I think with time they will. Though they are good for Software Tools and some games, they still haven't come to the full circle that C++ has. They will but that will still take some time.

C.)And if you don't want to learn C++, you don't have to. You can continue programming in Dark Basic. You will continue to get the same level of support and things will improve. It just takes time.

Give TGC a break. Without them we wouldn't be here today. Let's see you create your own game creation program, sell it and deal with customers.

SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 03:17
When I set up the projects in DevC++ and went through compiling them I got a lot of errors. Managed to fix a lot and get several of the libraries compiled but still need to spend some time working on it to make sure everything is right.

Mike
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 09:08
then .NET right?

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 09:32
Why .Net? I still don't get what all the excitement is in .Net.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 10:02
Quote: " Why .Net? I still don't get what all the excitement is in .Net."

Anyone that is forced to use C# for a project will soon understand where all the excitement comes from

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 10:43
or vb.net vs. vb6 - light years apart

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
Jedive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 00:18
Yeah. C# is an awesome programming language.

== Jedive ==
AthlonXP 1600+, 512MB, GeForce4200, WinXP/DX9, Mandrake 10
iBook G4 1Ghz, 256MB, Radeon9200, Mac OS X Panther
Yu Une
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 17:35
@Jedive my thoughts exactly, I've been geeting into ASP.net as of lately

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 03:21:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 03:21:18