Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Morrowind Style Terrain Loading

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 05:29
Im making my rpg so when you click doors it loads the new place instead of opening and letting you in like morrowind. Anybody know how to split the terrain into cells so it only loads once you enter that cell but you can still see the objects ahead before you enter it??
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 05:52
Really it all depends on how you make the game for example when morrowind is loading and you see all those pictures etc the game is probably loading most of the models that you will probably see in the distance of a loaded game so really it depends...draw up a design on how you want this to work.

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 22:24
you could do like if you are 3000 db metres from 'the end' of the current location, the fog gets closer and then 2000 db metres away, you load that other terrain part and the fog dissapeares..

you could do it like, when you look at that direction, the fog comes closer and when you look back, the fog goes away.

not sure if or how that would work thou.

This is a Map Editor ver 2 DEMO Out now! http://www.tiame.tk
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 22:43 Edited at: 7th Dec 2004 22:44
I think some sort of portal system would be the best idea.
As the internals would be pretty small generally, simply load them as you need to.. setup a portal system for the outside of the buildings you can then say 'collided with Store Tage -> run store()' which would load the store, collision and such... but you unload the buildings when you leave. If you don't unload the actual external terrain but simply hide it, that would work quite well.
Then everything inside could use a 'local' position system, and the outside would use a global one. as not to confuse the two.

[post.edit]
for those not familar with what Morrow-wind is : http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/mw_screenshots_01.htm

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 22:07
I believe UW_Design's website had a program that demonstrated portals. Visible Worlds or something like that, can't remember the name for sure.

"eureka" - Archimedes
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 22:29 Edited at: 9th Dec 2004 22:29
Yes it's called Visible Worlds http://vw.underwaredesign.com.

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Version 1.02 available now!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 22:32
I think that making your level in 1 go is a good idea - like use a massive terrain and forget optimising in the editor itself. Then in your engine, maybe split that terrain downto 128x128. Like if your main heightmap was a handsome 1024x1024 image, you could chop a 128x128 square out and create the heightmap from that, and you'd easily be able to check which objects are needed for that chunk.

You could also have a lower resolution terrain for the extra unseen detail - like you'd make it so you can never get to the edges of your terrain without it calculating the next block - then you could have a really low resolution terrain for the whole thing and a high res terrain for your current block.

Also, remember that a skybox is an illusion created by 2D textures, and if you render your own skybox in DBPro, it could show a fairly decent representation of your surrounding level, on just a texture. I'm planning on looking into this for pre-calculating skysheres and skyboxes from raw level data.

It's always a good idea to identify and track your objects, so maybe you could tell each object what it's parent object is, and if the object is inside or outside of it's parent - then you could check which objects need to be loaded when entering a building, and also which objects are only needed when entering a building.

I have a massive RPG project planned for the future, this is how I've been thinking about handling nice big levels and buildings.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Feugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2004 18:08
even though not a rpg cs did it very well as when you get to a part it loads the next part up and deletes all the parts previous that you cannot see. t workied well if you woul dhave a look at it ad i broke the work\d into parts this only works for enclosed levels though hmmm but its worth a look at

Timespliiters 2 rocks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:22:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:22:39