Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [LOCKED] wacko screeines

Author
Years of Service
User Offline

so how do you like!

wacko 1.0 new OS
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 06:25
What is it?

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
lase
Years of Service
User Offline
wacko dd a new! os

wacko 1.0 new OS
robo cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2004 15:18
Wouldn't you need an os to run it?

Simple... yet fun!
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 05:26
Uh, it's not much of an os...More of a front end for an existing os. Your os is windows dependant. LMAO

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 10:08
It's been said before, and it'll be said again:

You cannot make an Operating System in Dark Basic Pro since it is reliant on another Operating System to run (Windows), as well as an Operating System dependant graphics API (DirectX). And even if you did manage to strip Windows and DirectX to it's shell and used the new program as a kernel, it'd probably be slow as hell and worthless to many people anyway.

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz | 512 MB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB
MSVC++ .Net | MSVC# 2005 | Wings3D | CharacterFX | Gimp v2.0
Prayne de crabug ahm rinedere be-yogt iglo kes gron
lase
Years of Service
User Offline
tapewormz your the lamo cause you get bad grammer and rudeness
preston how can you be saying cheers why cant anyone belive
its possible. so hence tapeworz you suck as much as prestonC
no one else is confodent so shut up and put your money where your mouth is. and why cant this topic be like the others where people are giving nice complants?

wacko 1.0 new OS
dj chainz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 20:34
I think this is a good Idea if you implement it in a game - I have made an OS-style interface for a Hacking Game I am working on - why dont you try and use it like that, as it would be worthless as an actual OS as there would be no programs or users for it...

I am the lead programmer at red spark studios
I also have a blog on how to make a game engine
http://www.dbgame.blogspot.com
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 21:41
Yeah, DBPro is not ideal for running other programs with - it takes up most of the system resources you see, so although it might run nice and smooth, it will be terrible when you actually try and run another program with it.

Personally I'd like to make a set menu like the one I made in VB4, it's sorta like a desktop that can't be damaged and is under my control - we use it at work as a hassle free operator front end. Imagine a 3D desktop that you actually explore though - instead of a media player you'd have a 3D hifi in a room that you'd visit to play some music, instead of a wallpaper image you'd have real wallpaper textured on your walls or even a virtual art gallery.

I know that's not what you have in mind, but you can clearly see the reaction generated everytime someone announces a DBPro OS - the comments might seem negative, but they're just realistic, that's all.

That sort of thing would be fairly straightforward in DBPro if not for the resource hogging - even if there was a mode you could set, like make your front end run in a low spec mode that would allow external programs, then when control is passed back to the front end, it takes processor control back again.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 21:54
Lase - You could emulate an OS with darkbasic, and make something like an OS, but not a proper OS. And tapeworm wasn't calling you a lamo, LMAO is short for "Laughing My Arse Off". Something similar to LOL.

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 22:29 Edited at: 9th Dec 2004 22:32
Quote: "tapewormz your the lamo cause you get bad grammer and rudeness
preston how can you be saying cheers why cant anyone belive
its possible. so hence tapeworz you suck as much as prestonC
no one else is confodent so shut up and put your money where your mouth is. and why cant this topic be like the others where people are giving nice complants?
"

Ok you n00b, gloves off!

First off, you're a f*cking c*nt for even insulting anyone on these forums. You're new here, and that's not the proper way to take things.

Second off, what we said is true. It is impossible to make an operating system in Dark Basic Pro, since it is dependant on another operating system to run, and is dependant on an operating system dependant graphics API. The best you could do is emulate one like Hamish said, and then that'd be one f*cking useless OS since it would use up all of the system resources. And if you were to get it working, as a stand alone OS, stealing DLL's from the Windows and DirectX shell and API's, you'd be violating several copyright laws, and you'd be up to your f*cking neck in sh*t from Microsoft.

Third, if you think Tapewormz has bad grammar, READ YOUR OWN F*CKING POST YOU STUPID TEN YEAR OLD IDIOT!

F*cking n00b, people like you really piss me off.

And if you want any f*cking nice comments, DO SOMETHING REALISTIC OR ELSE YOU WON'T GET ANY! GET YOU F*CKING FACTS STRAIGHT!

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz | 512 MB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB
MSVC++ .Net | MSVC# 2005 | Wings3D | CharacterFX | Gimp v2.0
Prayne de crabug ahm rinedere be-yogt iglo kes gron
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 00:49
Er, right.

Preston swear like that again and I'll ban you for a day; putting asterisks in helpful places is just the same as writing the whole word.

Don't throw personal insults please.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:22:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:22:05