Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Does # of lines of code make exe file size big?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Does # of lines of code make exe file size bigger? I ask this because I am making a program that will have over 10,000 lines of code in it. What make the exe file so big? Will the exe file be smaller if I make a executable, or final? By the way, the program I am making will have no textures in it at all, but low polygon models.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 19:58
you need somewhere in the range of 1,500,000 lines of code to equal the size of of the Executable.
as DarkBasic is an interpreter rather than a fully independant language it has to export the actual program library for running each time it compiles to exe.

This makes thier initial size very large (however easily compressable) - so it does take ALOT of code to even equal the size (double the initial size) of the build
hold that makes more sense.

if you build a final this will combine ALL code and artwork ... however sometimes it isn't entirely understandable which it picks to include and leave out. This does advesly affect size

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 21:30
Jigga:

Yes, the more code you use, the larger your exe will get. Db uses a virtual machine concept, meaning it compiles yours source into a tokenized (byte code) format first, then appends this to Db engine / virtual machine (it's lot like a emulator) to form your .exe.

How big are you exe's getting ?..

Be careful not to confuse make exe and make final. The latter, make final, will bundle pretty much everything in the source codes folder up into a pack file and link the to the exe stub. Meaning the files can become huge..

l8r,
Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2003 23:12
A lot of your filesize (those 1,500,000 lines that Raven mentioned) is taken up by stuff that DarkBasic needs that you can't remove yourself. Even for a program with practically no lines of coding will still have a compiled executable size of around 1.5meg.

That's the simple description, anyway.

"I am a living, thinking entity who was created in the sea of information."
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Dr DooMer: "A lot of your filesize (those 1,500,000 lines that Raven mentioned) is taken up by stuff that DarkBasic needs that you can't remove yourself. Even for a program with practically no lines of coding will still have a compiled executable size of around 1.5meg."

My version of Dark BASIC (v1.08) yields .exes that are considerably smaller. http://heartbone.com/mpk/ProKENO.htm
- Multiple game wagering system
- Automatically maintained patron account
- Optional synthetic speech
- Features a customizable 48 song playlist
containing over 3 hours of quality stereo synthesizer
performances of popular music from the 1900s

- Includes 2 unique screensavers
- Download fits on a standard 3.5" 1.44MB floppy disk
- Absolutely free

ALL ZIPPED into 1.36 MB

The more you see, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you see.
Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2003 03:32
Ah - well I'm using 1.13. I can't remember when they were all added, but my version probably has lots of extra stuff that needs to be interpreted like manipulating lights and memblocks.

Anyway, the executable is still fairly big whether you code much into it or not, right?

"I am a living, thinking entity who was created in the sea of information."
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2003 04:50
in DBP as soon as u engage any 3d it jumps up a bit like 500k

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 08:40:12
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 08:40:12