Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The experiment is over... after a year

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 13:54
Some probably wonder... what the hell am I talking about?

Well, for the last year i've been playing a experiment on you all. Originally it was only going to last about 3 months, but after a few funny "happenings" in IRC and about 10 certain members, I decided to continue it.

It started one day in IRC, when DARKgirl was asking about our ages. From then i had them play a guessing game... one of them (ZKAT8IT IIRC) had guessed my correct age, they had all known. Well a week passed after and I was idleing as usual when i was asked (not sure by whom) "How old are you, I seem to remember you saying 19". Thats where the fun began... i decided to take advantage of this... as I did have a Psychology final due, where we had to report on something we had done, to study the human psych, and include parts of things we learned through out the year. My favorite part was always the manipulation of the human mind.

So, I told whomever it was, "Yeah i'm 19". I have been this 19 for a long time now

Over the next 2 and 1/2 months or so, I had manipulated most of the people (with the exception of a certain few of the smarter... whom all we're later manipulated) into thinking I was but, 19. I started making storys, tales of my past, and other sorts of fun(although still 3/4's true most of the time, all based on my real experiences).

A little after all my data was collected.. all the logs etc... i turned in the huge report, and had recieved an A.

Well, in the end of year talk by my Psych teacher, he told us to keep studying etc... well I did. During the summer, I had posed as jobless, still keeping the storys and everything up to a rightness. School maintained after that... but my psych teacher had been fired over the summer, so there was no need to report my findings.

At this time i wanted to keep up the experiment, but I needed an excuse as to why i was gone from 8am - 3pm... so I had figured one out. My "character" had gotten a job. Which, once again, was semi true... In reality i really had a job (and still have one... 2 if you count the work i do for school district networks).

The experiment continued, with a few little hitches and F'ups along the way. My story had many holes in it... amazing how some people kept on falling for it. One included why i was connecting from a tooele county line. My story for this one, stealing it from the county at work... it pays to work with money grubbers etc...

From what i realize some did belive it.

Anyway, i could go on all day... but i'm sick of typing. Long story short, theres alot of people who we're tricked by this experiment... some took alot more work then others. And in the end, it thus more proves, who your talking to on the internet, is probably not who you think it is.

Eric

You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. He looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that god was having trouble with.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 13:55
Oh and also, he forgot to mention, he's becoming a Mormon.

Congrats, buddy!

Remember, Jimmy still loves you.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 14:04 Edited at: 8th Dec 2004 14:08
You wish on your holyest day...

Pretty funny so far i've gotten some weird reactions to the "unvieling". Some are congratulating me... some are saying "I knew it adhurr".. and others are like "Your an ass, you know that?".

I'm looking for the paper I wrote on it now... alot of back-up CD's to go through... but I should have it.

Edit// I also wanted to clarify, there was never an all out lie, except the age (off by 2 years... but in which direction, gwhahahah). I would atleast hafly base all of my storys on real life experiences, if not fully (that includes the living in the basement and paying for rent/internet). Any questions you have... just ask.

You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. He looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that god was having trouble with.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 14:13
I take it only the IRC regulars will have any clue what you're going on about.

"Computers are useless - They can only give you answers."
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 14:16
Most likely yes... as I tried to keep a "general" tab on the forums... not hinting off, but not being overly conspicuous at the same time.

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 14:18
Quote: "Any questions you have... just ask."

So, how old are you then?

Funny trick. I love the human Psych. It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys! Ofcourse, some day you will probably get yourself shot doing that, but at least you had fun while doing it!

Home of DOOP, Strata Works, and Height
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 14:20
17 is the answer.

Quote: "Funny trick. I love the human Psych. It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys! Ofcourse, some day you will probably get yourself shot doing that, but at least you had fun while doing it!"

Fun yes, a little disapointed also. I was hoping for human kinds sake that more people then Jimmy and ZKAT8IT would catch on quickly.

JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 14:32
Not that I know you that well (or at all) but just generally I would say, most people honestly don't care what story you tell, and whether it's true or not. Most folks wouldn't pay close enough attention, because they simply don't care.

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 16:52
Shocking!

I can't believe you pretended to be 2 years older and unemployed - wow!, what a fantastical mind game you played!

Nah, I doubt anybody cared enough to put much thought into it.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 19:32
Eric, I think you need to push the boundaries a bit more.

Like Van B says, a 17 year old with a part time job is hardly different from a nineteen year old with no job. And on a game making forum, it hardly matters anyway.

Come to the UK, we have 40+ guys pretending to be in their early teens in all the chat rooms.

Still, you'll be able to add all of these reactions to your conclusion!

BatVink
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 20:14
*points at Eric T and laughs*

Raven: That said, I DO say 'that said' a lot. 'Nuf said.
Gir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 20:31 Edited at: 8th Dec 2004 20:32
Isnt that what the internet is about, people pretending to be something they are not? I couldnt care less to be quite honest, i mean all ppl have to go on is what you say. I think most ppl on the net take information from strangers with a pinch of salt, or they should anyway (if they are smart).

I'm makin' a cake...
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 21:19 Edited at: 8th Dec 2004 21:39
Quote: "but in which direction, gwhahahah"

didn't read this just in-case you revealed the answer...but i'd say you are 17...since
Quote: "2 if you count the work i do for school district networks"

and because i think a 21 year old would be more interested in proving that he was 23

i sure wish you had tried this trick on me...would have been nice to see if you could fool me (but most likely i would have been like....ooookay yeah...you've told me this already...i know you're 19 )

[edit] oh i just remembered! my mom has a degree in psychology!

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 22:03
Quote: "I would say, most people honestly don't care what story you tell, and whether it's true or not. Most folks wouldn't pay close enough attention, because they simply don't care."

Fraid JeBuS has got the big reason, I think. You'd act pretty much the same each way and the little details don't matter too much. A real challenge would be to, say, pretend to be mormon for a year . But you've gotta start somewhere, and I've never fooled people of something like that

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 22:16 Edited at: 8th Dec 2004 22:16
I'm actually a 32 year old married technical consultant with 3 kids, living in West Yorkshire in the UK.

Wooah...I've convinced myself, I'm actually living this deception.

BatVink
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 22:19
Stop exagerating Batvink, we all know your only 31 .

Van-B

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 22:52
Still though, well done getting an A.

You are not alone.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 23:35
what a bizarre story.. make me wonder where JimBob is about now

Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Play Nice! Play Basic - Next Generation Basic (Release V1.05 Out Now)
MikeyP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 23:40
How do we know, that he isnt just pretending to be 17, and that he might be 21, or maybe he's lied about the 2 years too! See you can't be sure now.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2004 23:48
You can never be sure anyways.

In my experience, most people on the internet, especially in chatrooms, tell the truth about themselves laced with white lies to make their life seem better, worse, more interesting; whatever grabs peoples' attention more (generally what lies are trying to gain in chatrooms).

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 00:15
Quote: " make me wonder where JimBob is about now "

That question was the first thing that came to mind while reading this.

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Version 1.02 available now!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 01:08
JimBob ?

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 01:13
I'm 29 I am. Oooh how I love the year 1973... I mean 1975.... DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 02:04
I was born in 1975, damn fine year . In Chinese calendar terms that makes me a rabbit, the luckiest of all Chinese calendar thingies - I mean you never see rabbit on a take-away menu do you?.

Van-B

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 02:52
I think we need to end this thread with a resounding, "Eric is man friction"

and lock it.

Remember, Jimmy still loves you.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 03:41
aye, now tell me some kind of fantastical story about yourself and see how many believe it

Yarr join LoGD and defeat your fellow coders!
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 05:58
Hahah, another thing proving, on the internet... you can never be sure if your chatting up a 19yr old coed, or a 41 yr old sweaty fat man.

Quote: "Not that I know you that well (or at all) but just generally I would say, most people honestly don't care what story you tell, and whether it's true or not. Most folks wouldn't pay close enough attention, because they simply don't care.
"

For most of the time yes... and for some of them, they would cite me for every mistake I made

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 06:13
Yes. I was much more innocent when I was 29. Easy prey.

I like sprouts I do....

That was the start of my experiment. See you in a year.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 06:57
Quote: "I was born in 1975, damn fine year . In Chinese calendar terms that makes me a rabbit, the luckiest of all Chinese calendar thingies - I mean you never see rabbit on a take-away menu do you?."

Well, it's not often I see a Tiger, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Monkey, or Dog on a take-away menu either. Plus, Rabbits are filled with diseases.

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 07:05
I can tell places where Tiger, Snake, Monkey, and Dog are. And rabbits are very good barbequed, which isn't something you can get on a take-away.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 07:10
Well lizard is close to dragon, gotten that on takeout before

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 07:12
Oh, I'm sure you could find Rabbit on the menu of at least one Chinese take-away store.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 07:15
And dog, don't forget dog.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 07:20
Quote: " JimBob ?"

Yeah the one and only.

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Version 1.02 available now!
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 07:47
We kinda talked about this in school after the original topic was that if someone mad a threat online to another student at my school they can get as little as a 10-day suspension (little huh?) to expulsion with police referrel. Teachers scared the crap outta some kids who think their cool on the internet.

Song of the whenever i feel like updating it....
Whatever Happened, The Strokes
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 11:01
Beat this: I was in my programming class and somebody found a little instant message thing on Novell and start messaging everybody with dumb statements. A couple kids replied back calling him a tard and such.

I guess they didn't realize that by sending those messages they were broadcasting their student ID numbers...

OOPS!

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 02:26:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 02:26:47