Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DarkBASIC, DarkBASIC Professional, SDK vs other languages

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
do this.writeAllMyCodeBEE_ATCH();
dern, too bad that doesn't work

---------------------------------------------------------------------
does any DarkBASIC content support...?:

- runtime code compilation

- object-oriented programming on a similiar or greater level as Java (I've never used C++, so I don't know how OO it is; thus I don't know if Dark SDK would be akin to Java)

- commands equivilent to basic commands used in other languages; can you still program just as intelligent an AI as in other languages, for example

- high-quality animation and run-time (such as what would be needed for Rune, Soul Reaver, Warcraft III, Vampire: Redemption, etc), all the game demos I've tried so far have jumpy animation (especially attack sequences)

- smooth controls and quality control innovation capability; all demos I've tried so far have been hyper-sensitive and fidgety concerning controls

- capability beyond numerics and procedure; can one create fluid and flexible programs through algorithm, rather than just tweaking # etc
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Are the Geoscape, Tree, Plant, Model, and FX editors compatible with each other?

Also, reading reviews and browsing the forums has given me the impresion that DarkBASIC is unstable and erraneous. Is this true?

Please reply with comparisons of various languages you've used to the features offered by the DarkBASIC set and support programs.

BTW:
M(2.14...)r^2(1/y)^-1
sqrt(x^2)-(force/acceleration)

Neil19533
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2004 14:03
1-i dont belive it supports runtime compilation.

2-it is not object oriented

3-the commands are symbolic so they are easy to catch onto and some

4-commands i have seen in all basic programming lanuages i have ever seen (print, input ,cls)

5-there is only 1 way to find out if the animations are up to scratch is make on yourself and try it out

6-you can control how sensitive they are. i would asume the demos you have tried have been set to the programmers specific style

7-if you mean can you do stuff that cant be done in dark basic then you can program your own plugins

8-i dont know if they are compatible.

9-there are bugs in all software so the question is do the developers try to fix them and i would say they do but you will have to post any bugs on the bug report forum and often enought other plugins from other people will do the task.

comments-darkbasic language is good to learn as a hobbie but you arnt gonna pull off halflife 2 of halo 2.

but most importantly it is easy to learn

Any spelling mistakes are totally In tensional.
KARRIBU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2004 03:28
Quote: "comments-darkbasic language is good to learn as a hobbie but you arnt gonna pull off halflife 2 of halo 2."

some people say that its up to the programmer to determine that. I guess tho u need a group of 20+ experianced programes to do that.

What about SDK? Has that got the power to make a proffetional game?

I wouldn't be so paranoid if people would just stop looking at me!
Wraith Glade
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What about SDK? Has that got the power to make a proffetional game?"

Yes, what about SDK? How "object-oriented" is it?; procedural code is fine if you only want to do something once, but OO has alot of power and ease-of-coding. Is it not far better to define a method which, for example, creates a map tile and effectivly updates the entire program heirarchy than to define it through procedure code. As I said before, I've never used C++ (which the SDK is supposedly bases off of), but i have used Java (which is based off of C++, but supposedly stronger in OO). So, failing knowledge of what SDK is, can someone inform me as to OO in C++. Any help would be appreciated.

If SDK does indeed give you more control over internal/non-graphics code, then yes, there should be no reason that quality games could not be produced (assuming the DarkBASIC content is 100% stable and does as advertised).

: I'm using these symbols to catagorize my replys...somehow it amuses me. woot!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:18:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:18:03