Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / mac's v pc's

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2004 12:00
i use "G4" mac all the time when im working,and all they do is crash crash crash,i find it slower then my pc when useing cinema 4d,and slow at rendering, and my mac that i use at work crashed and i lost all my work, but i find it very fast at fillters in photoshop.
And you just can't go and pick up a new main board at a commputer shop like you can with a pc.i've only been useing a mac for 1 year so i don't know the in's and out's of them.

so whats best mac's or pc's what are your views
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2004 12:12
I have a G4 (1.5GHz iirc / 512MB / QuadroFX 500) Macintosh, running MacOSX Tiger
Use it for Photoshop, Shake and Maya. works like a dream, but I had to replace the mouse to a Microsoft one heh

I think they're much better, but only with software designed specifically for them. Generally people just recompile Windows programs using Mac libraries which can cause issues, if you think of it this is like compiling a Linux program with Windows libraries and expecting it to be perfectly stable. Just doesn't work that way heh.

this said i remember using C4D on Windows for a while a few years back, disliked the interface and stability on Windows 2000.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2004 12:16
Quote: "Never really used macs much, however I heard them to be much more stable than PC'S but they support soooo much less stuff."

Only under the MacOSX. This is a point alot of Mac users forget to make, believe me use any of thier other Operating Systems heh
God you have to love that error voice

The Freeman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2004 12:21
well the mac i use at work is really slow,but they do have them all linked up to a netwrok maybe thats why there so slow?
Final Epsilon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2004 12:28
i've only used macs for video editing, but from what i've seen, they preform really nicely. ^_^

My only complaint was that it felt awkward with only one mouse button. I probably should replace the mouse like raven has.

But alas, it's not my mac.. sooo...
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2004 15:06
Personally, I think Macs with OS X have the potential to be the next computer of the future. They are fast (there's a cluster of G5s that's the world's 3rd fastest supercomputer or something), multimedia editing is very nice, the interface, while cluttered at times, is very pretty and well designed, they rarely crash, are quite secure, and my *nix hackery will work on it. I'm planning on getting a G5 soon mostly for Mac software development (finally get to use Objective-C for something) but also because they have everything I need (a nice GUI, security, stable, low-level command line access) bundled with some nice hardware. Goodbye, Windows + Intel!
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2004 15:30
Quote: "Personally, I think Macs with OS X have the potential to be the next computer of the future."

Not while Bill Gates is alive. He'll continue to use his spies and steal Mac's ideas until he gets it right, you'll seee.

Remember, Jimmy still loves you.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2004 15:38
Quote: "Personally, I think Macs with OS X have the potential to be the next computer of the future."

Yeah, it's amazing what Microsoft can do with an Operating System.

(if you don't understand that comment, suggest you do some homework )

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2004 17:24 Edited at: 15th Dec 2004 17:24
Quote: "i use "G4" mac all the time when im working,and all they do is crash crash crash,i find it slower then my pc when useing cinema 4d,and slow at rendering, and my mac that i use at work crashed and i lost all my work, but i find it very fast at fillters in photoshop."

I sware Apple optimise the G4/5s specifically for Photoshop. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a tiny Adobe engineer inside every one

My G5 (512MB/GeForceFX) works like a dream. It hasn't crashed once, the interface is gorgeous and it runs the apps I need on there smoothly (Photoshop, Zend Studio Beta, Flash, etc). I wouldn't use it for gaming, but I did try out a few game demos and they were just fine, although will never be as fast as my PC.

The one package I really want for it has to be Apples Motion.

The "Unix under the hood" is lovely. Fire-up a Terminal session and it's like being in heaven. Apache, MySQL, PHP, etc - a developers dream. Networked with my PC instantly via wireless, no issues at all.

Less software for it? Yeah. More stable than OS9? Hell yeah! More stable than Windows? Probably, but my PC doesn't really crash all that much either (good quality motherboard, good branded memory, good video card, don't install every other piece of crap out there!).

Oh and I swapped the mouse from day one.

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2004 18:26
Wait, so how does the one-button mouse work? I mean, no right-clicking? Sounds tough...

I spelled "disappointment" wrong. Pahintulutan ang di-inaasahang nakakahiyang pagkakamaling dulot ng kamangmangan. Have at you.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2004 18:54
Quote: "Wait, so how does the one-button mouse work? I mean, no right-clicking? Sounds tough..."

heh, it's the type of clicks you make. if your used to the Windows / Linux OS then you do quickly want a mouse with more than one button heh

Considering mine has Maya setup on it, a mouse with atleast 3buttons is a minimum. ^_^ I don't know anyone who uses it with the standard mice except those who are using it because the company thought it was a good idea at the time.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2004 20:24
Quote: "Wait, so how does the one-button mouse work? I mean, no right-clicking? Sounds tough..."

Well, if the application follows Apples design and GUI guidelines, it will work perfectly with just one mouse button. If you had never used a PC before, then you could live quite easily with a single-button mouse on your Mac. If you have used a PC, where right-click usually = context menus, then you miss it sorely.

Most Mac apps (even the OS) use right-clicks, but they are not *essential* in order to operate them.

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2004 21:05
The Mac version of the right click is basically just holding the apple key and clicking. Still annoying though.

"Computers are useless - They can only give you answers."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2004 21:18
I haven't used a mac much in a very long time - besides the old monochrome models I've only really worked on the first series of colour macs when I was in college - I mostly remember how nice Photoshop was on it, compared to what we had on the PC (PSP 1 or 2), and Canvas on the ST, it was pretty incredible. Personally I'd like a mac if I had the space or money to get a decent one - even just for Photoshop and web surfing, it's an expenditure I'd have a hard time justifying to myself though.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
The Freeman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2004 01:45
we still use the weird one button mouse thing, its a pain in the ass!!
don't think ill ever sell my pc and get a mac. well maybe not there is better access to support and repairs
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2004 05:51
Quote: "
Yeah, it's amazing what Microsoft can do with an Operating System.

(if you don't understand that comment, suggest you do some homework )"

Alright, Raven, my morbid curiosity wins.

What is it that you're going to say...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2004 06:23
my sentance was quite finished

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2004 06:58
So basicly what you were talking was crap and you can't think of something to make up?

CURRENT PROJECT: Chaos Hizzle Demo
The Freeman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2004 08:29
guys i don't whant this to turn in to some bitching contest JK hehe
LOL
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2004 08:48

CURRENT PROJECT: Chaos Hizzle Demo
The Freeman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2004 08:52
lol
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2004 08:56
It shouldn't turn into a bitching contest we're just wondering what Raven meant by it. He said some vague and ostentatious comment which for all we know could mean anything and he doesn't want to seem to tell us what he means by it. Many people have had issues with Raven's statements and their fatual validity before. To say that a person who's been repeatedly accused of making facts up a liar when he refuses to elaborate on what he meant doesn't seem to be anything to big in my eyes.
The Freeman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2004 09:01
sorry im new here, "Many people have had issues with Raven's statements" really?
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2004 09:04
I belive its a simple refrence to microsoft feeding technology after many lawsuits and that which we're pretty much whining wars from the other OS's that microsoft is too powerful. Thus why you see Office 2004 and other MS technologys built for and in OS X.

Thats just a guess though :/

You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. He looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that god was having trouble with.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 04:20:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 04:20:33