Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Terrain and models showing

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was playing some more with DGSDK last night and got to the point of putting in a model to the world terrain I generated. I am using the dbMakeTerrain object and creating it from a heightmap. The problem I am expierencing now is when I try to load an MD3 model using the same code snippet as loading a skybox model from the terrain demo. My model doesn't show up. I took off the part of scaling my model and reposition ed it to be in the camera position and changed the Y position getting the terrain height.

Is there something else special I have to do to show the MD3 model? I can import it into Milkshape and it looks fine with texturing and everything but when I try to display the model it doesn't show on my world terrain.

I wonder if I would be better off creating a terrain "mesh" instead and handling the drawing of it manually instead of using the terrain engine. If I want to do some good collision detection it seems I may have to create the mesh manually and get the verts and triangle array and feed it to a simulation engine.

TIA for any help.
billy the kid
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you load the model into the world without the terrain?
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2004 06:23
It could be to do with scaling. Can you make the model availiable ?

Beware the cat... The alien... The heretic...
Jizzah
Years of Service
User Offline
@billy the kid: I can view the model in the world without the terrain.

@The coding area: It could be scaling but I tried valued between 0.2 - 1000 just to see it.

A good tool that someone may want to make available is a model viewer using the DGSDK engine. I know we can make one easily but it may be good practice so we can actually check the model.

There are some more things I want to try tonight and if it doesn't pan out I'll definetly make the model available for anyone that wishes to help. Thanks all!
Jizzah
Years of Service
User Offline
I got it to work. How odd. Actually it just started working and I was like "wow" I didn't even change one line of code. Hmmm... could've been the late night I spent coding and playing World of Warcraft.

P.S. I would have just updated the other post I made, but it gave me an error when I tried to click on "edit".

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 10:38:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 10:38:01