Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I'm new and I don't know where to start

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2004 09:13
Hello. I'm new and I don't know where to start, I wanna do a first person shooter videogame like halo but I dunno how to do it.

Think Forward !!!!
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2004 09:49
Well, your question is slightly better than most new people who come to the boards.. But not quite good enough i'm afraid. The best think i could tell you is to familiarize yourself with the commands of darkbasic/pro(not sure which your using), run the example programs that came with it and try and understand the code that went with the program.

Chances are if you can recreate those programs, you'll get much farther at creating the games you'd like to make. On another note, i wouldnt try too hard to make a halo clone, atleast not graphics wise... Dont think darkbasic will be able to handle it, but something similar and less graphics intensive could be done.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums Angie

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2004 09:55
Hey Angie and welcome to the fourms.
If you bought DBP, there is a tutorial in the manual for a first person shooter. Good luck with Dark Basic.

Note: The above I didn't say, your just crazy.
Dom
Years of Service
User Offline
Halo is a great game made by proffesionals! And as your new to DbP then I doubt you will do anything as good as that! But doing a FPS is a very good Idea! Try the moster hunt tutorial for a start. Its made for DBC but im sure it can be adapted for DBP! Good Luck

DRAGONFIRE STUDIOS
Lead Programmer
(The Studio being my front room)
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2004 23:01
Everyone says this but... make a Pong game!
If you try and do something too complicated when you're just starting out then you will probably get bored and confused, or you'll end up just copying huge chunks of code out without understanding how and why they work...

Am I the only one here who's really confused?
Sithlord
Years of Service
User Offline
well you all have good points it will take time and energy to create a decent game but I would suggest you start small angie and don't get discouraged if you can look at some code examples and figure out how to change them you are ahead of the game already but it will take time and committment anyway good luck and see you on the boards

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 07:27:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 07:27:19