Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What the monkey do I make over crimbo?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 07:00
Well, I have two weeks off over xmas. I have taken 2 weeks off, and as a contractor, have forgone 2 weeks pay! So I need to make the most of it! My mrs is down for 4 days or so, and the rest of the time is my own, and goddam it I want to do what I usually do ..... start making a really cool game and never finish it!

So people, please throw up ideas for a game that you'd really like to see made. It'll help me with ideas. I was thinking along the lines of a turn based UFO: Enemy Unknown styled strategy, but I'm open for ideas. I need one hit of inspiration and then I'll go off on one and come up with my own derivative! Help!

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 08:09
Quote: "you'd really like to see made"
Judging by the previous paragraph, don't you mean almost see made?

Quote: "UFO: Enemy Unknown styled strategy"
Hmmmm... what about a remake of Laser squad? Classic.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 08:14
Never played laser squad, but isn't it pretty much the same thing?

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a weird idea:

You're a really poor person who needs to buy a long rope, a plane ticket to the Leaning Tower of Piza, and a bunch of strong people.
Then, you fly to the tower, tie a rope around it, and have the men pull it down. Then, the men get crushed by the tower and a cop comes and shoots you. You do this because you have trouble sleeping because you think of a leaning tower as a dripping thing where you wash your hands.

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Quote: "We shouldn't sacrifice the truth to preserve "balance"."
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 08:31
Sounds too much like a point and click adventure man. Those are dull. Besides, superman already set the leaning tower straight, and there are no strong people in italy - just lots of garlic and cheese.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think it needs a rethink.

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Rethink:

You're in jail for strangiling a cop. He gave you a ticket for going 0.001 miles above the limit. You first have to bust out of jail by kicking down the bars. You use much of your energy to kick the bars down because humans have such strong will powers. Then, you steal a bunch of food and eat it and run away. You then disquize yourself and work at McDonalds for a day. Using the money, you go to the rope store and buy a long rope and then you go to an internet cafe. You have to use Google to find strong people for hire. Failing that, you go to the streets and find some beggers that look very strong. After bribing them to help you, you go to the airport and get 11 plane tidckets, 10 for them, 1 for you. Then, you fly to the Leaning Tower of Piza and tie the rope around it and pull it down with the strong men. Then, the tower falls and the men die and a cop comes and shoots you. Now, what makes this game long is the fact that everything happens in real time. You work in real time. Bust out in real time. Fly to the tower in real time. And on the plane, you watch stupid yet funny movies.

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 10:54

Or you could make an RTS

:: Current Project - FLevels ::

:: WinXP Pro SP 1 : 2.8 GHz Celeron : 512 MB DIMM RAM : 64 MB Radeon IGP 345M : 40 GB HDD ::
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 11:49
Lol @ Ilya! You really are weirder than I already thought you were. XD

UNVIDIA GeFartFX 5600 Crud Edition
Featuring an unbeatable 0-1 FPS in 3DMark05!
If Return to Proxycon were a game, I would die before I saw the door open!
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
I was once bored and attempting to make the wierdest game ever, because weird games are creative games.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 18:02
Well, as it turns out, I woke up this morning and started thinking about it. I had a bit of a stretch and a yawn, made myself a cup of tea, had a smoke, ate an apple and a necterine and on my last segment of necterine it slowly came together.

So the plan is:
-XCom style turn based game.
-Interative environments (not overly so, just some bits and bobs to play with).
-Indepth units (stats, profile, pics, kill count, specialties)
-Vehicles units can mount and drive
-Modern day weapons
-Some sort of conspiracy story line (I'll think up a cracker)

The beauty is I can pack the worlds full of life and objects and in particular, animating people. Seeing as only one unit moves at once, there'll only be the one animating person at any one time, thus it should still run quickly.

Anyway, I'll let you know of how little progress I make! Just pretend it's going to get finished and I will to.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 20:33
Nectarine's aren't segmented

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 21:42
What planet do you live on? You must be having me on, else Tescos are falsely advertising!

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 22:33
how about this for a title?

NECTARINES...ENEMY UNSEGMENTED.

cool huh?

or

intergalactic battle teacoseys of doom
ultimate ninja goldfish
fairys of ultimate niceness
the tree growing simulator
my little pony (oops! think that ones taken)
toothbrush hole drilling championship challenge
lavvy cleaning simulator
gta wimps economy edition (where you just syphon petrol from the cars tank)
parklife (where your hero Garden Foreman keeps the local park tidy)

(sorry, I been at the 7yr malt again )

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 23:17
Loving those titles. The ideas for AAA shelf games are flowing now. I'm especially fond of the tree growing simulator, which shall run in real time, with a maximum game length of 1 hour. I see significant technical challenges there.

The lavvy cleaning simulator could be combined with the school bullying simulator to create a hyrid of turd stains, bog washing and 'licking the rim'. Amazing.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 23:30
Make a game about a blood-thirsty ferret...

I was thinking of maybe starting on something over winter break aswell. But I can't do anything other then level design...-_-'

-Progress chart
3d engine: 46% physics: 67% AI: 89% Sanity: -51%
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 23:32
I would suggest that you design some levels then.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 23:36
=/

Won't be much of a game...unless the levels were so incredbly mind-blowing, that it would possible to entertain hordes of players for hours by simply letting them move around in awe around the levels with some cheap collision thrown in.

-Progress chart
3d engine: 46% physics: 67% AI: 89% Sanity: -51%
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm too lazy to do anything.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2004 01:58
A nectarine is a peach-like fruit.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=nectarine&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

Oranges, of any variety, are segmented Probably a mandarin or something you were eating.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2004 02:43
Try turning water into wine. Thats a neat trick which has been managed at least once before. I've been trying it myself but without any success to date.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2004 03:25
Ultimate Ninja Goldfish - I may have to steal this

:: WinXP Pro SP 1 : 2.8 GHz Celeron : 512 MB DIMM RAM : 64 MB Radeon IGP 345M : 40 GB HDD ::
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 07:09
[Im very sorry to hijack but this is important and i havent seen him around for a while]

Megaton you ass, were redoing the whole fuc*ing ED layout because you were too close to another layout. Email me and well talk more.

[/hijack and apology]

Good luck Fallout!

Song of the whenever i feel like updating it....
Whatever Happened, The Strokes
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 08:28
It was a clementine. GODDAM IT! Appologese for my incorrectnessity.

I hang my head in shame. Let my shame be a example for all shamed people to observe.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 10:01
Fallout, I'm having the same problem. A whole break and nothing really to do. I want to start diving into another programming language, but just can't find one I'd like to settle into.

Might consider getting into music or something though, and take a break from game dev and 3D. (Doesn't help that I'm sick though )

Quote: "So people, please throw up ideas for a game that you'd really like to see made."

I'd love to see a civilization clone of some sort, and maybe you can mix in your alien idea. Real time stratagy game with lots of diplomacy and resources.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 18:17
@Mike

Well, I'm keeping myself busy, but I do want to get somewhere with a decent project that I can keep rolling. I was thinking about jumping into a combination of C++ and DirectX, but I know I wont have the patience to stick with it.

It's funny, because I actually wanted to delve into new things as well and open up my options. So I bought the nitro remote control car (ace hobby), and I also started writing (medieval fantasy type) which I used to do when I was younger. Also buying the Revo lets me buy new clear bodyshells and design and spray them. I can also record footage of jumps and crashes and then put vids together. It's good to find new hobbies because I've noticed when I come back having smashed my Revo to pieces, I feel much more like sitting down and coding a game. They bounce well off each other.

As for the game idea, a real time civilisation clone sounds more intimating than a weight lifting mother in law. I might think about the resource management angle though. Never really tried that in any of my games, so should be worth thinking about.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 18:39 Edited at: 21st Dec 2004 18:41
x-com style game eh? yell out if you want soem graphic or model work done. But here is a twisty idea, you are a group of pirates in a slum style future or a slum style present day setting with alternate history, and the aim of the gam eis to be as manly as possibly, by galavanting around groping wenches in bars (100 points!) and throwing midget shipmates at enemy flower toting hippy environmentalists. all in the end if you get enough point syou rescue the damsel who is actually the daughter of the crummy dean at the college you are supposed to be going. And the end sequence you go YES! TAKE THAT BITTERMAN! then you ride off into the sunset with the princess (dean's daughter) on the back of an elephant, prince of persia style, foo shickety! that i will definately do artwork for

oh i forgot to mention you get bonus points for breaking music shop windows and pulling out guitars that rock and ripping mean solos which make the teen girls around you fall over and grab onto your leg 80's movie cover style.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 19:59
Well, at the very least, I like the idea of defiling young nubile tavern wenches. I believe that would be one of my main hobbies had I lived in a time period where it was still considered 'all in good humour'.

I also like the idea of firing a midget out of a canon. They still get away with it at circuses.

Actually, if you went for one of those crazy world type game ideas (fantasy sort of environment) it would be funny to fire pirate midgets out of canons holding flaming canon balls in their stumpy arms.

Anyway, I'm still thinking about the UFO clone. I don't like to wade in and try to do something that won't run on a lower spec machine. The main things I want to keep are:
- Random level generation
- Destructable everything
- Character development (all those cool stats they had, although I'd like to expand greatly on this to make you care about your Colonel Ludvig Raponski with super high shooting accuracy and a trillion time units).

What sort of graphics do you do matey?

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 15:05
yar lots, i also do some 3d work,

and thats jsut a few samples of recent work, but i can levvy myself to watever style you are after, i quite like that cartoon mouse.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 20:21
Sweet mate. The syndicate decals and models look spot on to the retro sci-fi (is that possible?) feel. I'm still thinking about the game and gonna do a few tech tests soon. I want to have jungle landcapes to fight in, which is a pretty mean feat, so gonna have a play around and see how I need to go about it. Then I might just ask you for a hand mate. Might even be good to go on the cartoony style angle.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 20:28 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2004 20:30
jungle eh, cartoony eh, feat eh. Well i can come up with some concept jungle themed thingies. I'm teh bored and no one is comenting or giving more ideas to fuel me for syndicate atm so i will work on some concepts for jungle stuff. PIRAte jungle, yes, a jungle fille dwith pirate monkeys, everyone loves monkeys, and everyone that counts loves pirates, so i will do pirate monkeys that sail the seven jungle seas on bamboo and vine ships to different jungle islands to pillage and plunder, i will do a 3d pirate monkey much as i did the mouse.he will be a scurvvy critter with a bandana and big teeth and an angry pirate look, and banana cutlass, an doyu will fight other monkeys for pirat emonkey booty, (as in treasure). and there will be monkey wenches and monkey sea towns and ports.

edit: holy crap that sound sawesome, robtronx@hotmail.com if oyu want to add me to msn so we can talk more real time.

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 21:33 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2004 21:34
I feel inspired...instead of doing what I am meant to be doing I'm going to start me a game (and get to the point where it's not buggy enough to be worthless )

EDIT: Can I add you to MSN?

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 21:50 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2004 21:57
YES YOU CAN NOW EVERYONE SHUT UP CAUSE I AM GONNA RELEASE TEH WORLDS GREATEST MODEL EVER INVENTED!!!! YES GOO DENOUGH THAT EVEN JESUS WOULD GIVE IT A CAPSLOCK INTRO!!!!!!

women see pirate minkey in the streets and often ask "Why is he so buff?!" to which he would reply, "TAKE OFF YOUR SHIRTS!"

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 15:50
so hows it going??

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 20:08
I'm glad I didn't see that pirate monkey until after xmas, else fear would have stopped me drinking the xmas rum.

There has been zero progress here. My girlfriend is down for xmas and will be about for the next couple of days. At some point though I'll knuckle down and make a start and figure out what's what. This is the first time I've been on this forum sinse thursday I think.

Anyway, what's this lunacy? You want to make a pirate monkey jungle game? Sounds quality, but I think I'm plumping for the more serious angle with humans in space! Will keep you up to date!

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 20:17
ok, how bout i give this monkey a space pirate theme, he is exactly the same but wears a space helmet, and you go round in space fighting humans and stealing stuff like rum and women.

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "EVEN JESUS WOULD GIVE IT A CAPSLOCK INTRO!!!!!! "

Wow. That's awesome.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 17:45
oh fallout if you want a serious one with human sand mixing space people, head over to my syndicate wip thread, i just put up a basic story history to the game and will write up the game set i am planning soon, you might be interested in teh themes though, and i sure could use a programmer so if u get time after ur missus leaves peruse my text files then take a look at the modelling.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:23:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:23:59