Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Matrix Lighting

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 19:26
hey, ive been working on matrices and stuff and already worked out how to do heightmapping and how to texture certain parts of the matrix, now i need to get some lighting done.....ive already made normals, but the light doesnt seem to come from any certain place. Can anyone help? [DBC]

Ta!

(You might need the code for my program, if so just ask)

"Well, if he dies it'll teach him not to do it again." - Me
Zotoast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 20:17
oh, and just while im here, does anyone have any water animation, just, like,the frames for it? im fed up with normal scrolling textures :-P

"Well, if he dies it'll teach him not to do it again." - Me
Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Zotoast here's some advice:

1. MATRICES ARE EVIL! EACH SQUARE OF A MATRICE TAKES UP 4 POLYS! So if you had a matrice of 2000 squares, thats 2000 x 4 = 8000 POLYS! You would only expect THAT much if you had a very large level or a very high detailed object. And because you're using DBC, it can't handle many polys. So the bigger/more matrice, the lower the Screen FPS().

2. If you're going to use a flat matrice, just use a plain.

3. If you're short of cash (or a cheap-skate like me ) you can get a pretty decent 3d Editor called DeleD from www.delgine.com

OR

If you want a decent landscape that doesnt have many polys, you can get the trial v of Geoscape. It allows you all the features I think but only for a certain period. Sniff around on the forums and you may find a free landscape maker.

Well hope that helps.
Cya,
Nick.

1.9GHZ/Windows XP Home Edition/NVidia GeForce4Ti 4600/128MB RAM/60GB Hardrive
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 00:30
(I changed account)

hey, thanks, but ive tried geoscape and i have tried it, and its sooooooooo slow, still ok though

the thing about using 3d models is that i dont know how to say texture different parts and stuff, coz if you want to make a mountainy place then its hard to texture the higher parts with snow and stuff, however on a matrix u can....

thanx for the advice anyhow

cya

"Well, if he dies, it'll teach him not to do it again." - Me
Dodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 16:54
Quote: "the thing about using 3d models is that i dont know how to say texture different parts and stuff, coz if you want to make a mountainy place then its hard to texture the higher parts with snow and stuff, however on a matrix u can...."

You can use limbs or you can just use the texture that geoscape gives you.(there is an option to texture different heights with different textures)

Part of solving the problem is actually noticing that the problem is there in the first place

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 23:30
cool

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 01:33
well, does anyone know anything about normals