Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Errors in the help files

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2004 00:37 Edited at: 21st Dec 2004 01:28
I thought I´d make this thread so we can put all the errors in one thread to make life easier for Mike(and so we can get some nice help files)

dbMaximizeWindow should be dbMaximiseWindow in the index. Same thing with dbMinimiseWindow.
When using the left browser and clicking on dbMaximiseWindow it sends you to the dbMinimiseWindow page.
LoopSDK() is missing.
The CLS command in the 2d Basic section is written CLs in the help files and CLS in the header file.

Mike probably knows some these but it doesn´t matter.

A bargain at 640000€
Libera tu mente y te liberaras.
Steve O
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2004 08:10
well, personally i think TGC should check every command in the docs and see if they are the same as defined in the c++ header files.

roujesky
Years of Service
User Offline
dbInKey() is defined in the help file as dbInKey$()
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2004 06:19
hehe. I see someone cut and pasted....

-This...is my boomstick!
Stevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2004 09:24
Alot of the string/input commands have $ at the end which shouldn't be there. The help was really slopped together by the looks things. Personally I think it could have waited for some testing an examples to be written before it came out, I can't convery any of my code because of bugs that exisit.

But then again i'd complain I wanted it now if they did lose lose situation for everyone really lets just hope someone actually reads in here an looks into fixing these things soon. Whats the point of me buying an SDK to play with over xmas if I can't use it

You Must First Realise Your Limitations Before You Set Your Goals
roujesky
Years of Service
User Offline
I also wanted it early I bought DarkMatter 2. It does not come with any DGSDK examples. So, it appears that all the side products need to supply a DGSDK example in addition to DB examples. (I started another thread needing help with .x models...)
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2004 16:09
Quote: "I can't convery any of my code because of bugs that exisit."

Its not that buggy - the sprite ones are annoying, but its certainly useable.

Beware the cat... The alien... The heretic...
Stevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2004 19:59
Quote: "Its not that buggy - the sprite ones are annoying, but its certainly useable."

Sprites and file bugs are the major things that have hit me. The 2 major things the code uses I'm working with are sprites and files (if you scroll back a few posts you can see my file bugs)

my code reads a directory an loads sprites/images from each directory, the idea is its ment to be able to search the directories on its own which currently doesn't work. There have been serveral other things I've noticed which COULD be bugs, but very well could have been my code aswell so haven't said anything.

Coming up to xmas working 7 days a week trying to fit in shopping and seeing family an friends is killing all my time (*shakes fist in the air* Damn you real world) so don't have the time I used to for bashing DB about to find bugs

I guess the fact that the things I'm using currently are buggy does put a damper on the rest I haven't tried. Don't get me wrong I am a fan of the SDK, just not the bugs which stop me and the incorrect help files are sometimes a hinder, luckily I still remember DB commands so can figure them out myself.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 03:15
If your using C, then you shouldn't use the DBPro file, printing or maths commands - it'll be quicker if you dont.

Stevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 08:01
*slaps head* you know what, I didn't ever actually think to use the C++ commands for files I don't know it to well since the majority of my time is spent using PHP (yes, I know. Its boring puts food on the table though)

I have used some of C math commands, I'll have to look up the file commands though. Thanks heaps for the idea TCA.

(still would be good to have the DGSDK commands to work eventually though )

roujesky
Years of Service
User Offline
You know, I was thinking the exact same thing about some of the file commands like the open/save file dialogs. It almost seems a waste to have surfaced those in DGSDK. The DGSDK commands look like (very) thin wrappers around the WIN32 dialog boxes....

Now that I think about it more, they probably came along for practically free for the developers....
Erick G
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 13:56
Remember, those functions have always been there, but now with the use of c/c++, you can do it yourself.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 18:06
I must admit I was surprised when functions like dbSin were converted - there is no real point in having them...

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 19:56
While the beta was out I suggested:
- Remove all of the duplicate maths commands, or at least make them macros or inline functions (db functions do convert radians to degrees and back at least).
- Remove all of the duplicate string functions (len, asc, chr etc)
- Remove all of the file functions

The addition I'd like to see for the help files would be details of memory ownership. When you get a string from a db command, how should it be freed? delete, free or just leave it (static memory)?

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 20:04
Obviously Mike didn't pay heed to your wise words...

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 21:33
Updates to the help file are coming .

As far as some of the commands go the only reason for leaving in the likes of duplicate commands was for compatibility with DB Pro. While it is better to use the C / C++ equivalent with the likes of the maths and files commands it helped to leave them in so that we could convert examples easier.

When you get a string back from the SDK there's no need to delete it. Just leave it as it is - it's satic. I will add information like this into the help.

There is an update on it's way and it will solve those problems with sprites and a few other functions. It's really a case of some functions going to the wrong addresses due to function name inside the library. This will all be sorted soon enough.

Mike
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 21:41
Good to hear...

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 23:20
When is a "Time Frame" for the help files? I spend a great deal of time in the header files trying to figure out if I need to pass a char* or a dword, or what is returned....

-This...is my boomstick!
PearsoE
Years of Service
User Offline
Since this post is listing errors in the help file I thought I 'd add a few I've noticed:
dbPerformChecklistForControlDevices() in help file.
IS
dbPerformChecklistControlDevices() in include file.
----
dbInput(char * szStatement, int iInput) in help file.
IS
dbInput(void) in include file.
I guess Input no longer prints.
----
char* dbCheckListString(int IntegerValue) in help file.
IS
DWORD dbChecklistString(DWORD pDestStr, int iIndex) in include file.
If anyone can give an example of using this one as it is now I would appreciate it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 16:24:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 16:24:23