Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Half Life pros and cons

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2004 09:47
Not to start a war, but Half Life smells... The plot is so movie like, the game itself looks nice, but when you play the demo the way
thay have the people walking like theres nothing to live for, cops every were... its like they want to show there new game stile. move things all the time, its nice, I thenk the MP will be beter then the game itself.

So what do you guys think of the demo? pros and cons...

I dont know how to spell
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2004 11:52
What I got out of it was that they were a bunch of workers from Black Mesa and they were being shipped to City 17 and youjust ddn't happen to see any of the regular residents except that awesome old Russian dude with the shotgun in Ravenholm. You also have to understand that they're under attack from aliens from another dimension. It's not like they've been living that way a while.

HalfLife doesn't have multiplayer, you have multiplayer mods, like Counterstrike Source. Which will be awesome because it's counterstrike....with the Source engine. Anything Counterstrike is always good. I want to see Natural Selection Source.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2004 12:56
Actually they released an official multiplayer Half-Life 2 update a few weeks ago. And no, it's not Counter-Strike

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2004 14:21
For one, your spelling is atrocious. Secondly, by "Half Life" I really hope you mean Half-Life 2. And thirdly, who cares about the demo? I mean, seriously. Even though the game's opening is beautiful, cinematic, amazing, and real, it still is a very small part of the overall experience. Your post doesn't point out anything negative about the demo. The game was rated the best PC game ever by several gaming magazines for a reason; because it is.

So bottom line, well your post just doesn't make sense.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2004 19:34
Your right Slayer, the Half-Life 2 Demo was sorely disappointing.

For those who haven't played it yet, what Valve have done is taken Chapter 1 (Arrival) & 6 (RavenHolm) from the full game.
While this wouldn't be so bad, what they've done is seriously cut-down Chapter 1 to the first 3 Sections, so you only get a glimpse at the story. Also although RavenHolm is an interesting section that shows some of the games good features, it really doesn't do the game justice.

With Half-Life, we had to wait a year (well if you lived in the UK only 3months) for the Demo, which was a fully independant section that put you into Gordon's world .. without spoiling any of the original story. It also gave a nice taster for the game.

Half-Life : Day One / Uplink was definately something that changed my skeptical nature about Half-Life on if it would beat Quake2.
This Half-Life 2 demo really is presented in such a way that things feel quickly moved along just to get sales up over Christmas.

What Slayer is saying above is that;
The game feels like he's playing a movie, and the story is presented well with good graphics. But the demo feels more like they're trying to show off thier new Engine rather than the game itself. He likes being able to pick-up and move things, however this makes him feel that the Multiplayer gaming will be alot better than the actual game itself.

Over Christmas I'm buying a new version of Half-Life 2, I'm sick and tired of being pissed around by Valve and some bastard who's stolen my key. So unfortunately not had the chance to play the Deathmatch, but from what I've heard about that; it really is only one mode of gameplayer : All-Vs-All (Deathmatch), which is quite boring.

While the story is like Half-Lifes and quite involving, personally speaking I don't see it as much has improved since Half-Life despite the graphics and environments. Even then given I'm stuck to playing it on an FX5200 (given my 480w PSU died on me, and 6800 keeps rebooting my machine running on a 250w PSU in Shader Games), so the game itself doesn't look all that impressive.

From my point of view, it's good... but not the best.

BadMonkey91
Years of Service
User Offline
I dl'ed the half-life 2 demo, here's what I thought about it;

The game is freakin great! Yeah, the first stage was sort of pointless, but the way they present it, and the things you can do, make it worth showing off.

pros of first level:
-Throwing things RULES!!
-The interactive playground
With working Swings, teeter totter, spinning-thing, and tic-tac-toe game, it's pretty sweet(in the eyes of a game designer).

cons:
-boring AI for gaurds
-Cant hit and cut people by whipping things around - booo!

And the second level was complete bliss, it skips to the 6 chapter, far into fluid combat.

Pros of second level:
-Using the Gravity gun makes you feel unstopable!!
a jedi in resident evil!
-Fully interactive level, you can move almost anything you can lay eyes on
-Fighting is more fun than any other game!!!!

I recommend it for dl.

Badmonkey91@hotmail.com
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 02:33
I got the greatest kick out of throwing things at the cops.

Sony stole our name!
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 02:39
ya, trowing a bottle and then running away is really fun. Especially because if you keep throwing things you can bait the cops out of there patrol area

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you throw cars at them?

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Quote: "We shouldn't sacrifice the truth to preserve "balance"."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 02:56
Nah Cars can't be thrown, even with the Gravity Gun.
For kicks I completed RavenHolm using only the gravity gun and a plastic carton (those cartons you keep bottles and such in)... it was quite amusing to be killing things with one hit, and when those speed Headcrab zombies started attacking it did get a little harder.

Playing with just guns, and you run out of ammo very very quickly. You'd always find a nice large cache right after you've completed an area which it would've helped in. Infact I noticed that in alot of Half-Life 2, kinda like they're trying to piss your off and tease you.

Personally speaking I think if they'd just had the whole of Chapter 1, that would've been best. That said there really isn't any action in it so that is probably the reason for RavenHolm... but that Chapter is too slow paced imo. There are some areas that are good to explore but they get really crazy really quickly. Suchas the Coastal Area.. it would've defintately shown the game off in a better life.

Personally speaking, from the demo. Although fun, it doesn't make me think it is a must have game.. and it doesn't accurately portray how most of the game is.

It certainly does remind me of one thing though. Loading times are horrible without alot of Ram!!
I was waiting upto 10minutes at one point for a second to load, which imo is just ridiculous.. I know it was that long because I was playing Goldeneye missions between sections and I completed the mission in 9minutes, the computer still sat there for another good minute. This isn't exactly a slouch of a system either... In-game is really getting on my nerves with alot of games recently. As they'll slow to unplayable at points because they're using so much ram that my computer needs to fall back on the page-file, while I have a fast HDD (ATA/133) the problem is it's a 300GB one.. so the page file is the better part of 3GB, which can be very timely to access.

Tried lowering the graphics settings (to a point where you couldn't tell the difference between HL2 and HL cept for one had better looking effects) ... still no joy on loading times or ram useage.
Looks like getting 256MB more Ram is going to be priority tommorrow, but despite both Unreal2 and Doom3 having horrible loading times on the High graphics settings; on Medium they both load very quickly.

I'm still wanting to know why the hell my card is set to DirectX 8 Graphics, rather than DirectX 9 .. as I can change the API settings but not the Graphics settings. Frustrating to say the least given this is a DirectX9 card!

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 03:11
you can prolly throw cars with the zero point gravity gun, but theres currently no way to get it via cheating that i know of..
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 04:29
Whats a hlaf lfie?

Cubes with guns? Something isn't right...
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 05:11
Wasn't there a couple times where you had to throw a car to solve a puzzle, and what about the buggy?

The demo convinced me to buy Half Life 2 because of how well it ran on my comPOOPer.

Celeron 1.3ghz
256mb ram
Geforce 2 MX 400

Sony stole our name!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 06:28
Quote: "Wasn't there a couple times where you had to throw a car to solve a puzzle, and what about the buggy?"

Not quite, but puzzles that require major stuff like moving cars and vans, etc.. generally were scripted events in the world.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Simply put. I liked it.

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 04:25:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 04:25:39