Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Best way to learn DB Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 07:54
Hey, I just downloaded the demo of DB Pro, and I was wondering what is the best way to learn DarkBASIC?
I've always been a fan of QuickBASIC, but never really got into it much. I'd just look up commands and play with them, I never really finished anythig before.
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 11:37 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2004 11:41
I think most people would say there's no single way to learn DB, just do what you fell comfortable with. Maybe you want to mess about with the example code to see how you can change it, maybe you just want to read loads of loads of posts to see if you can learn it that way, whatever you do one thing you have to realise is that learning DB isn't easy, well it's easier than something like C++ but your not going to make Half-Life 3 anytime soon, just stick with it and most important of all, have fun.

EDIT:: and most people will probably tell you to start with a PONG re-make, ofcourse you can try and make DOOM 4 if you want but you might find PONG a bit easier. If you need any help getting started you can talk to me over msn, my addy's gamemad@msn.com , I'll try and help you out if you get stuck but then again, that's what the forums for.

Formely code2kill
To tell you the truth, I'm just glad I DON'T enjoy playng The Sims.
the play2kill fan club
Erick G
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 13:58
The best way to learn, is to do

Go through the Code Snippets forum, some juicy stuff there.
viscera eyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 16:21
Quote: "the best way to learn, is to do"

yeah, all i did was play around with some of the commands until i could actually do something. also, its kinda obvious but if you need help just look in the forums
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 19:32
My dad bought the "Beginners guide to darkbasic game programming" for me

I learnt great things in that book and it is really good for a beginner. Also i have looked many post on the forums and asked many questions

That is the way i learned it.

The Nerd

wanna join Waggames?
then visit our site at : http://www.freewebs.com/waggames
my old forum name was: The Nerd
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2004 07:26
I would also suggest that book, it really helped. And the forums have given me the best help for problems that I have come across. I would suggest that you set a goal for yourself, teach yourself what you want. That will allow you to learn at your own pace, because noth9ing is more boring than having someone else teach it to you.

Regards,
1tg46

Click the sig
DaedalusX
Years of Service
User Offline
took me ages to learn it cos it was my 1st langauge but now im confortable with it. Best just to go thru the tutorial codes and stuff and try to work out what is happening and y and trying to modify them with different syntax

Daedalus
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2004 22:08
I would say only do stuff that you enjoy and is within your grasp - don't try and go into too much detail or learn anything too complicated at first or you'll get confused and bored and probably give up, but at the same time don't make things which are really simple and uninteresting to make.

Am I the only one here who's really confused?
Zer0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 05:28
Thanks guys

lol, demonsbreath right now just about everything is out of my grasp, I am having trouble coding pong.I somewhat understand how things work in DB after playing around with it for a while yesterday. But until I get the full version of DB that come with examples I won't know too much more.

Like I know how to make the ball move if I were coding a pong clone, my problem is the sync on and sync commands don't seem to work in the demo, I put 'sync on' at the start of my program and I put the nessary code on how to make the ball move, then the 'sync' command at the end, all in a single loop. The problem I'm having is that sync is not listening to me at all it just draws a black screen.
punkfan91
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 00:39
If you are using a 'gosub' command, then remember to put 'return' at the end of it. I forgot to do that a few times, and it worked when I put it in. Also remember to set the sync rate at the beginning of the code, I also forgot to do that, and I encountered a few problems until I added it.
Good luck, and I hope that you get the full version of DBPro soon!

www.somethingfishystudios.tk
Zer0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2004 14:30
Here's my code, all it's supost to do is make the ball move, but instead it draws a striaght line completely ignoring the sync command. Am I doing something wrong?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 07:32:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 07:32:35