Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / noob, but big dreams

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 18:53
Hi, i'm new to DB but have some programming experience with VB, C, Java. I'm not a programmer by profession, just like doing it as a hobbie.

I'm looking to create a RPG, purely for personal enjoyment and as a chance to learn what DB can do. I know this is a massive first time project for someone new to the language but i'm not worried how long it takes and i learn a langauage better when i'm doing something i'm into.

Just looking for other Noob's to share their experience of learning DB and for those of you out there who are experts to give me a few pointers as to the best places to get info from.

I've written a number of text based RPG's in the past and done a small amount of 3d stuff (very very small).

My idea is for a basic D&D type game, any helpful hints, tips would be great.

thanks
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 21:10 Edited at: 26th Dec 2004 21:10
even if you have had experience with more complicated programming languages you should probably try to learn the commands with something simpler than an rpg, but if your mind's set on it, there is a team in this forum trying to make an rpg which you could join.

also, the monster hunt tutorial is easily understandable and is adaptable for all of the movement code and so on, so check that out (http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=t01/3d_tutorial_index)

Are you using DBC or DBP?

Am I the only one here who's really confused?
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Look at the RPG Snippet Thread, there is some RPG code there.

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
DBAlex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 22:31
Im trying to make an FPS game at the moment, not beind that succesful though. Id try just making a Space Invaders game or pong to start, that what I did (i didnt release it). It really helped me to learn DarkBASIC.

>_0
punkfan91
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 00:14
Just try to make something that you are comfortable with. I have only been using DBPro for about 2 days, but I can make a (very) simple 3D FPS game, and I have never used any BASIC programming language before! I have however, used GameMaker.
I found that looking at a few of the examples in the CodeBase and reading the forums a bit was a great help.
As I said before; try to do something that you want to do, so that you won't give up on it and you will enjoy making it.
One last thing; good luck!

www.somethingfishystudios.tk
Kieran892
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 02:08
Thanks Guys,

Am using DBP, trial version at moment but definatly going to upgrade to full version in next few days as impresed at how easy it is to pick up basics (no pun intended)

I've looked at a few of the code snippets in the forums and in the help files and played around with a few. Well nothing else to do on Boxing Day while recovering from Christmas !!

Thanks for the advice, and Happy New year

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 07:38:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 07:38:37