Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I want to kill the authors of steam

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 04:42 Edited at: 27th Dec 2004 05:12
there I was minding my own affairs, click on HL2 icon to play some more and find more G-man sightings for the thread and....."unable to play this game offline" steam message pops up, one hour on (now I am online) and the sodding game STILL hasn`t started, it`s downloading something, my net connection is down to sub valiumised snail speeds, I HATE steam, it must be the worst anti user software on the planet, just off to the steam forums to vent my anger (and thats gonna take ages )

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 05:13
use a firewall to block hl2 from connecting to the valve server?
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 05:27 Edited at: 27th Dec 2004 05:30
yeah! this was a slip on my part, steam was running after a play when I connected (or I started the game while I was connected), it must have started an update in the background, the trouble is once it starts there is no stopping it, it renders the game useless untill it finishes whatever it wants to do, whatever happened to user CHOICE, you know? things like...

a 20mb update is available...download now?

do you want to disable your net connection and this game for an hour or so?

we have disabled this game, send more money or you can`t play it again

(these are sarcasm), if steam is [not]working the same way when HL3 comes out then I may just pass on the game, nothing is worth this much annoyance, I am not alone in thinking this way, the local gameplay store has a huge notice in the window that says HL2 requires lengthy online activation and they will not refund people returning the game, just exchange it for another title...they must be getting some grief to do that, imagine little tommy trying to explain to daddy that the "pay as you go" net connection needs to be open for 4 hours or more before his christmas present will work?, stoopid setup if you ask me, it already has on disk protection and a key code, this is just silly (and steam is REALY badly written)

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
Mini ATX cases suck.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 05:34
I get the feeling HL3 won't even be officially mentioned by Valve for a very loooooooooong time!

I don't suffer from insanity:

I enjoy every minute of it!
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 06:04
I was wondering this when I played it today - does it always take 5 minutes to "prepare the game" when you launch it?

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 06:22
I normaly play offline (you can go into steam settings and tick the box that prevents it running when windows boots if you never play online) but even on my system it takes a while to start up, I guess it must take a fair while longer if you have the lower end spec CPU and slower HD`s etc, takes about 45 seconds to a minute here to start into the game proper, level loading times can seem long as well.

Mentor.

Mini ATX cases suck.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 06:56
I've only got the demo... it takes like ten seconds to prepare to launch, then the first "loading" screen takes two and half minutes and level loading times are similarly long.

Unfortunatly, though I get decent speeds at 1024x768x16 with minimum graphical settings, it constantly locks up my PC-- never got past the second shed room in Ravenholm, as amazingly fun as it is

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 06:59
imo lengthy, stupid controling protection systems encourage piracy, i mean you are given the choice of a) pay £35 for hl2 with online activation which forces you to connect to the net and download a 50mb patch which is prone to bugs and not allowing you to play.. or b) get a pirate version which costs nothing and has no annoying online activation and auto patch rubbish.

seriously all thats needed is a CD key, you cant play online in pretty much all games without a valid cd key anyway

loading times seem okay to me, about 20-30 secs usually
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 07:52
Yeah, the anti-piracy system doesn't even work. Half-Life 2 has been cracked and I know a couple people that can play it without even having to install Steam. For instance, my brother who has actually already purchased HL2, decided to install the cracked version just to get away from all Steam's crap. Myself, on the other hand, can't even run HL2! lol.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you christmasy answers."
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 08:24
If I was to buy it I'd probably crack it... after I just realized how much RAM steam takes. I've got 256 on this system and Steam alone takes 50 to 75 just idle! That's more than Windows 98 without any other tasks . It's ridiculous considering they say the minimum RAM requirement is 128mb. Bleh!

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
i brought HL2 and UT04 a few days ago and i'll be buying the DVD drive tomorrow so that i can play them, hence i havent had the steam experience, i take it it's really really bad... *braces himself*

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 10:33
The whole setup thing was always rather painless for me, it's the RAM drain that really bites

Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 10:40
My main problem with Steam is the need for an Internet connection when playing on a LAN. It's ridiculous.

- Rpg Cyco

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 17:33
Here's where Valve screwed up:

My friend as soon as he played the HalfLife demo, went out and spent $40 on the platinum edition and beat it in a month. He later went and got steam on his parent's computer so he could play Counterstrike at low resolution online (his parent's computer is crappy and the only one connected to the internet). He played the HL2 demo at my house and was convinced he was going to go buy it with his Christmas money (although he was pretty set even before then). Then I tell him he has to register it online, and so he's not going to buy it now because there's no way to play it.

Imagine how many kids have run into that situation.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 17:37
Welcome to the bad world of Steam. Hopefully it wont last long...

Beware the Christmas... The fattener... The drunkard...
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 18:45
The setup and registration was painless here - just the startup times. I'll see about offline mode.

Steam aside it's a fantastic game. I'm only up to the sewer bit but its just immense. Definately best ever in terms of atmosphere.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 19:52
The system was painless here too, and for the most part I believe that Steam *is* a good idea, but I agree that it is simply not ready for prime-time.

The user interface is hideous and it does add a significant amount of time to the game startup. It's management of updates is particularly inelegant.

The fact that the cracked version of the software was released a couple of days later nullifies any anti-piracy benefits.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 21:34
How in Gods name did they manage to crack HL2?! All this trouble and it doesn't even work. I got HL2 for christmas and have yet to play it (been glued to Dawn of War), technicaly is it illegal to use the cracked version IF you have purcahsed, but not installed, an actual HL2 game?

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 21:47 Edited at: 27th Dec 2004 22:00
I think those that found steam painless probably have broadband, for us mere mortals on steampowered 56k its the difference between just getting a cuppa while it initialises and spending a hour or so staring at a virtualy immobile progress bar, it gets doubly annoying when you get the said progress bar foisted on you for no apparent reason and you where totaly happy with the way it was running anyway.

I agree with Rob k the UI is hopeless, whats wrong with windows standard compliant interfaces for crying out loud, every example of custom interface I have seen sucks, companies like cyberlink (power producer, power director), Greenstreet or europresses interface providers (high in the sky), all are annoying to the Nth degree, if they want the "cute" look then make the app skinnable, don`t inflict pink pebble buttons over a cyan backdrop on me thanks

one thing I do think, if the game was cracked so fast then thwarted/irritated potential owners are going to be MORE likley to get the cracked version so that they can play it, when HL3 comes out a lot of people are going to wait for the crack rather than suffer steam all over again,in other words Valve have invented a system that actualy encourages part of the potentialy legitimate user base to use the easier and unobtrusive cracked software rather than steam, and thats just plain DUMB.

IMO valve should either release an updated and sane steam application asap, or they should release a patch that disables the update and management components so that people without net connections or unwilling to spend hours online can run the game they bought in good faith, steam hasn`t stopped the hackers anyway, so they should minimise losses by allowing purchasers to run the game steamlessly if they wish, when stores are haveing to post warnings about not accepting returns then you can be sure that steam is costing them lots of customers and a big loss of goodwill from their users.

Mentor.

ps: I know it mentions internet connection under requirements on the HL2 box, but any single player game that has an online component does, it`s misleading (delibratly imo) to just put it in the system requirements box and not list it as ESSENTIAL for product activation , I personaly think it shows a contempt for their customers, a sort of "well?, once they get it home and find out, thats their problem!" attitude.

[edit]

pps: @ Killswitch Sheila: it`s always illegal to use a cracked version (unless you crack it your self for your own use I suppose?...grey area?)

Mini ATX cases suck.
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 22:06
Hehe you remember Killswitch Sheela? That was a long time ago now!

Back to half-life: HL2 Deathmatch isn't all that...I'm updating Counter Strike...Sorry Steam is updating Counter Strike as I type.

I have broadband!

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2004 00:58
Quote: "Hehe you remember Killswitch Sheela? That was a long time ago now"

So do I

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:27:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:27:26