Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / microsoft is developing theit next big OS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 11:11
Whats respect? You mean restecp

CURRENT PROJECT: Chaos Hizzle Demo
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 11:30
If they can figure out a new revolution in interfaces using this new 3d stuff I'll get it.

Have they talked about any other things about what's new in Longhorn?

And what about XNA?

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
The Real 87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 13:39 Edited at: 31st Dec 2004 13:40
new things in longhorn:

New notepad (yes the messed with notepad)
New solitare with new multiplayer mode
New reasons to crash (including: system lock up, RAM error, and just because.)
759 new backdoors
New backdoors added daily, maybe hourly.

http://87.savefile.com
87 Productions is the shizz.
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
People play solitare?
Notepad had something to add to it?
As if it wasn't slow enough... for a notepad.
It took forever to open a file a hex editor takes a fraction of a second to open..

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Quote: "We shouldn't sacrifice the truth to preserve "balance"."
Dom
Years of Service
User Offline
The pics on the first page didnt work

DRAGONFIRE STUDIOS
Lead Programmer
(The Studio being my front room)
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 06:31
Quote: "New notepad (yes the messed with notepad)"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quote: "Notepad had something to add to it?
As if it wasn't slow enough..."

Are you drunk? Notepad is the fastest Microsoft program and possibly the fastest on my PC. I use it for everything

HATERS

WinXP Pro SP 1, 2.8 GHz Celeron, 512 MB DIMM RAM, 64 MB Radeon IGP 345M, 40 GB HDD
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 07:52
They mess with notepad they mess with me

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 08:26
Q: Have they talked about any other things about what's new in Longhorn?

A: Actually yes, quite a lot is divulged on the dedicated websites. News for the adverage Joe though is far more involving the superficial features.

Q: And what about XNA?
A: XNA is Microsoft's solution to the every growing, 'MultiPlatform' problem.. currently in order to develop a Multimedia Title (aka Game) on the PC-CD, X-Box, GameCube, and Playstation2 you must create several versions of the engine.

Quite frankly all it does is waste time and money. Especially when it does take quite a bit of effort to convert an X-Box Engine to PC and visa versa. As such XNA has been designed to allow programmers to simply code everything up in a single language using a single API. Any end-system that uses Microsoft's XNA technology (Windows 2005 / Xenon / Revolution) will be able to run the exact same engine natively, or companies can choose to output to specific system.. at purely the cost of altering compiler settings and compile time. No engine reprogramming needs to be done.

It is still too early to tell if Sony are going to use this on thier redesigned Playstation Gen3 but really XNA is the next development platform for industry games.

Softimage|XSI 5.0, and Maya 7.0 currently in development both are going to be using this technology on the Microsoft Windows platforms, to provide artists with total pipeline integration.
In-fact Maya has recently been given an update for this exact purpose, which allows artists (suchas myself) to export full Shader materials that have been created and optimised within Maya using Microsoft's DirectX 9.0c (August/December) updates.

While other OS developers still bitch about the fact of Microsoft's dominance over that market, it is a market that they are quite obviously while not abandoning certainly currently back on the overall technology lead in that area. Simply because thier interests and the money is comming in far more from thier new 'MultiPlatforming' technologies.

Microsoft have been very slowly putting into place the technology, that not just makes them pretty much untouchable.

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 00:43
Wha- XNA? Multi-platform engine thingummy? Bastard!

They've rendered my SourceForge project effectively useless.. And I was just finishing designing how it was going to work

[href]Go2Console.sf.net[/href].

I hope Microsoft DIE.

2005. 2005. 2005. No way. 2005. 2005. You've got to be kidding me. 2005 already!?
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 00:45
Quote: "Wha- XNA? Multi-platform engine thingummy? Bastard!
"

Dont worry - it'll cost money.

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
I have no signature.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 01:07
Quote: "Dont worry - it'll cost money."

yeah but purely Licensing costs. Microsoft are really consolidating thier position here given, they are going to provide the development tools and SDKs for free.

Both Microsoft and Nintendo require you to go through each of them for approval, so this means Licensing for developers is Zero.
Not to mention thier lives become easier, allowing them to be freed up to work on other titles rather than simply porting all the time; as well as instant cross platforming.

Another awesome thing about XNA is the language translation, as you can let the program do the localisation and simply fill in the data for that local language. When combined with the fact that Microsoft have a 'Translator' program for thier own development teams, end production generally now means that voices are replaced and the application itself does all of the translation.
Of course you have a real localiser go over the text to check for indescrepincies but generally it takes weeks of work out of porting and localising.

Tomb Raider : Angel of Darkness took around a year to get out across the world. Across 2 platforms it extended the development time of the project by a good 6months. Not to mention X-Box & GameCube versions were also developed.
As a results each of the engines ended up quite buggy as Eidos wanted the game in the same time as they were used to.

With XNA not only could the engine itself been focused on, but also translated for a world-wide distribution almost as soon as the English version was completed.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 01:13
I cant see XNA being totally free, as it would mean everyone would be able to develop for the XBox - which is something, they, along with Nintendo (and to a slightly lesser extend) Sony, dont want you to do.

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
I have no signature.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 03:56
Quote: "I cant see XNA being totally free, as it would mean everyone would be able to develop for the XBox - which is something, they, along with Nintendo (and to a slightly lesser extend) Sony, dont want you to do."

nope.. while you have the free ability to create software, the Xenon and Revolution both use proprioty DVD formats; that while they can read standard DVDs for film use, the games discs have to be of the special format.

Microsoft saw how little (ya know none!) piracy the GameCube has, as such they've decided to take the same approach. In this respect you'll have to get yourself a 'Licensed' publisher in order to produce titles, which technically is actually what you have to do now unless your making a title for a modded X-Box.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:27:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:27:07