Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Windows Desktop Icons Cache Fix

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
My Windows 98 SE install is exactly 35 months old.

The 1200 Mhz Athlon hardware is getting a little dated but it still works well enough. My motherboard has a defective component that starts a high pitched tone which can only be turned off with a total powerdown. This has happened over the past year and a half about 10 times, although no more frequently now than at the beginning.

My biggest problem with Windows 98 is that the system and program icons get swapped around. It has been happening a lot more over time. The system boots correctly, but I only get to do a few things before they swap now. I remember how it started a couple of years ago with the shortcut arrows getting remapped. Now more and more it\'s entire icons. More and more of them, quicker and quicker. I figured that it\'s some cache getting filled. As of today it had gotten to the point of being a problem needing to be fixed.

I just did a google groups search for Win98 icons swapped. On the results page was a link named Windows 98 Icons change suddenly, from there I found this:
increase the size of the Windows icon cache....you can use ActivIcons for as long as you wish, free of charge!

This is great software. The default for the Win98SE icon cache was set to 1024 (KB?) I bumped it to 4096. Now the Start Menu is noticably faster. Much faster.

Although the ActivIcons program offers lots of options, the only explicit change that I used it for was to change the icon cache size.

A totally unexpected byproduct of this programs use is that my system shutdown time went from an average 15-20 seconds to 4-5 seconds!!!

Sweet.

Peace, the anti-Bush.
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2004 01:16
Sounds good, I'll try it on my 98 box upstairs (Icon switching is raelly annoying).

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2004 01:22
1.2 is getting outdated?

Ya all are a bunch of computer game junkies x_x

LOL, I'm using a 0.2 box to develop my php skillz and run my accounting software 64megs of ram, 233mhz processor, 2 2gb HDDs, windows 2000.

Running MySQL, Apache with PHP and photoshop 6!!! to develop some webpages

Don't underestimate the power of an old computer.. I paid 20 bucks for that thing, and it makes a great dev computer

Yarr join LoGD and defeat your fellow coders!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:29:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:29:07