Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / editing at the byte level?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2004 11:23
this is more of a discovery but anyway
i have typed every letter on my keyboard and found that every letter is a unique number so i could make strings VERY easy to split up which woudl be good for many things including scripting and config files since u wont need a 2byte carrage break (or well on mine i i typed oen space and one enter and got 4 unique numbers

um now a question

should this be done liek si it faster or somehting

and does anyone know of some sort fo easy to use btye editor NOT hex but byte like so i coudl easily type in numbers ect since i am probably takign this to the next level(especially good for my interpreter although it would probably be bit code now and nto scripting)and the thing people could do with a langauge like it is although the source may be eays to uncover since i would make this open source it woudl be eays to update and predicted fairly fast but of course this is an idea and much is still to be doen so later for now

come to my forums http://hck83.darktech.info/forum/ formerly: 404 name not found
"others understand me but i dont understand my own thoughts"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 00:22
Quote: " this is more of a discovery but anyway
i have typed every letter on my keyboard and found that every letter is a unique number"

Er, it's called ASCII. Generally you're supposed to know about it before you start programming

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 00:28
Quote: "Er, it's called ASCII. Generally you're supposed to know about it before you start programming "

well, not necessarily I'm surprised you didn't realize it though..

As for a byte editor... uh... you can do it in a hex editor, ya just gotta learn hex

You're better off simply writing a conversion program in db, to take an input string, and convert the string to individual bytes and output it to a file

But why go to all that work, it's just as simple to take a character and read it's ascii value...

number = ASC(MID$(string$,position))

Yarr join LoGD and defeat your fellow coders!
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 06:42
oh duh stupid me well i knew about ascii and kneww that that applied in memory but i didnt know that it was also in files um yea i know how to easily make a conversion app in dbpro on reading the values and writng them but not about editign withou havign to like say

"what block do you want to edit: " i want a more gui based thing but yea i coudl easily do it that way too im just to lazy to have to go thru the hassle of typign the byte number

come to my forums http://hck83.darktech.info/forum/ formerly: 404 name not found
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 06:56
I don't think it would be too hard to make one in VB, I might try a little later on.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you christmasy answers."
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 17:53
Well I finally went ahead and mixed up a very quick version of the final app, currently it just opens any file in byte form and saves in byte form. All the mandatory features like Undo, Redo, etc. aren't in yet so the menus are disabled, but don't worry, I'll do them next.

Currently, you can just test to see if it works, each byte is seperated by a space so you can easily see where one starts and the next ends, so if you want to add additional bytes, add a space between them. I've tested this on bitmaps and text files and so far it appears to work quite well.

http://ep.designex.net/Files/Bedit.zip

It requires v1.1 of the .NET Framework, and is named 'Bedit', but I'll probably rename it to something else later on.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you christmasy answers."
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 10:35
ok thanks for makign it for me

btw does it have support for writing as word or long ect

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 22:58
i think an ascii character never need to be larger than 255, a byte, so I'm sure that's what it outputs as.

Yarr join LoGD and defeat your fellow coders!
Los
Years of Service
User Offline
Has this got anything to do with your Downloading idea on the GameDesignTheory board?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:27:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:27:03