Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Basic Starter Package

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
I am planning to purchase DarkBasic Pro but I'm not sure what else I might need (surely not everything) to start this new "hobby" of making games. I already have 3d programs, downloaded MilkShape3D, have PhotoElements, and can create my own models. What about Matedit? Is it good for levels or just Terrain? Do I need a sky,world,level making software too?

What does a basic, beginning package look like, for someone just wanting to make a FPS type game with sky dome, world, levels, custom animated models, etc. ?

Thanks for the help,
R.

I don't plan to spend all day here...
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 08:27
hi

try and check this link out, it might help you.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=45154&b=7

Personally, I´m just starting out with DBPro and CShop 4
Highly reccomendable products

Spiderman, Spiderman
Does whatever a spider can!
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 08:30
Both newton aswell as Nuclear Glory's collision/physics plugin's are good.. You only really need one however, your choice. NGC's costs some cash, Newton's is free.

From what it seems however, just recently Walaber has decided to give up on the newton's wrapper for now.

In any case, it's highly stable and works great.. plenty of code and demo's with it aswell.. same goes for NGC.

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 12:46
Here's a thread for resources:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=30080&b=10

Matedit is specifically designed for making terrains with Matrices. However, I wouldn't recommend using matrices. Either use the advanced terrains (new thing with DBPro) or just make your terrains in a heightmap editor, and use milkshape to convert the heightmap to an object. Then you can use it with regular collision. For collision, definitely register yourself for NuclearGlory Collision v3.

Since you can create models the last element would be sounds and music. The Game Creators has some sound packs, or you can find them on the internet or even record your own by banging things together in front of a microphone while running soundrec32 or Audacity. For music, you might be able to find some free music, make your own music with an easy tracker program, or ask one of the people on these forums (there are a few musicians).

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:26:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:26:55