Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / some good map making programs?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hello

its been 3 years since i last worked on DB(social life and school took over -_-)

so i practically forgot everything

just wandering, im still working on an Metal Gear Solid clone, and is there a way to create levels similiar to the ones in MGS? If so, what programs are availible. I kno there is Cartography SHop but it is very clustered and unsuitable for creating simple small maps. What i want to create is make a low-polygon level. start from scratch. Is it possible to create levels in 3DSMAX then convert it somehow to a map?

Once again thanx
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 12:50
For maps you have two options:

1. Regular object:
You can make your level in 3ds Max and export it to a .3ds or .x, set up collision, stick the player inside and you're ready to go. Cartography Shop exports to .x and would work fine, especially since its set up for making levels out of cubes (much like MGS).

2. BSP:
Last I heard this was a little difficult to set up, but more DBPro updates are rolling around the corner so this may be different, and you can always search the forums. You can make these in Valve Hammer Editor, Worldcraft, or QuArK.

Unless you see something you like otherwise I would just stick to using 3ds Max to make your levels.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
bibz1st
Years of Service
User Offline
MagicWorld (again), DeleD or basically any 3D modeler, its just a matter of converting to ".X files"
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 00:34
DeleD is my favorite world editor for when you just need to toss out a quick level

"
"Timesoft: Your wife is death. HOW?!! No idea. But it is murder! REVENGE!"
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 06:28
Quote: "Is it possible to create levels in 3DSMAX then convert it somehow to a map?"

Yup this is possible if you have gile[s]. When you made (and textured) your map you just export it to .3DS . After that, import it into gile[s], lightmap it for some graphics and export it to a .DBO file, or .X. Load it in DB.. done!

If you load the .3DS file directly into DB, the textures will look wrong because max does export the texture coordinates kind a weird.

code lyke da wind
Years of Service
User Offline
ok. thanks for the adivce.
code lyke da wind
Years of Service
User Offline
is it possible to create levels with milkshape3d? since, i won't be needing matrixes, because of of levels take inside a building.
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 05:33 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2005 05:38
yep, its actually possible with any 3D modeller as long you can export a .x file with it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:28:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:28:44