Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Dent in my new car - pictures

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 15:05

If any of you remember my New Car thread from a while back, I had recently purchased a new 2004 Mazda 3 and received it in July. Yesterday an old guy changed lanes right into the lane I was in! He didn't even look

Anyways, for those of you interested, I took pics of the dent and they're here:

http://www.jeku.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7

While they might not look too bad, it's about $1500 damage if you can believe it! Sad, sad days.

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 15:09 Edited at: 31st Dec 2004 15:10
That's $1500 damage?!

And it probably doesn't alter the proformance of your car...

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Quote: "We shouldn't sacrifice the truth to preserve "balance"."
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 15:10 Edited at: 31st Dec 2004 15:11
Yeah, crazy huh? The entire front bumper will have to be replaced most likely (because I paid extra for new car insurance) seeing as how it's all one piece in the front, and the wheel alignment might be off. Plus the headlight cover glass thingy is cracked and has to be replaced.

EDIT: I would show you all pics of the interior but I'm too embarrassed to show the Winnie the Pooh seat covers

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 15:17
Heh, why don't you just get one of those crazy gadgets you see in infomercials where you stick the head on the dent, pull away, and pop-- removes the dent?

Seriously, I don't think that would really be worth $1500 of damage. You're overestimating, methinks.

UNVIDIA GeFartFX 5600 Crud Edition
Featuring an unbeatable 0-1 FPS in 3DMark05!
If Return to Proxycon were a game, I would die before I saw the door open!
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
It makes your car look tough... sort of.

Quote: "I've seen the word programming and I'm not sure what it means. Anybody please explain?"

Quote: "We shouldn't sacrifice the truth to preserve "balance"."
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 16:17
Quote: "Seriously, I don't think that would really be worth $1500 of damage. You're overestimating, methinks."

Well, that's what the collision company told me when they made up the quote. Good thing insurance pays for it all seeing as it wasn't my fault

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 16:23
Yeah it is new so they should be able to easily match up the paint. They will only have to paint the bumper (dent can be fixed by good body shop) and the fender looks like. Bring it down here and get it fixed for arout $600.

EddieB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 19:16
Thats not bad though. My dads friend's car was recked ( It got crushed by a tractor) Your damage is just a few dents. Consider your self lucky your still alive.

[href]http:www.graphics-monkey.co.uk[href]
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 20:03
Care to elaborate on the accident itself?
Just from where the damage is, the only way I can see it not being a 'knock-for-knock' is if you weren't in the car.

Personally stuff like that I generally find it is best not to claim on, and just make a deal with the other driver. No point in risking the no-claims over something that will often be cheaper to fixx through a good garage.

I mean $1500 is 10% the value of the car, so it does seem a little extreme that the Fender / Paint / Labour will cost that. For something like a BMW I'd understand, but a :coughhorriblecough: Mazda 3.. ya know just don't quite believe it. Had to replace my front Wing / Fender over Christmas cause the trailer got loose with a tonne of bricks in it, poor lil MG didn't know what hit it

That only cost me £350 for parts and labour. So yeah probably around $600 as LiT said.. but that said your cars are generally 2/3rds the price they are here. (insurance is too, kinda sickening considering the accident rates over there!)

that dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 20:19
can you imagine if the old guy hadnt had good insurance? i dont know if youve seen them or not, but there have been these comercials for cheap car insurance whos motto was 'we keep you legal for less." the other day, my mothers new car was whacked by some young blond. killed the bumber, nearly knocking it off. the girl had that cheap insurance. it didnt even pay for half of it... it makes me so freken mad.i hope that everything turns out well for you. oh, and if all else fails, you can get a hammer from the dollar store and put a maching dent in the other side

http://www.nuclearglory.com/?u=fearik = sweet as hell collision system. easy on that leather thing in your back pocket too.
the left side of my head isn't bigger, the right side is just smaller
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 22:47
Ouch. Nice car-- bad damage. Sorry 'bout that Jeku!

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 00:13 Edited at: 1st Jan 2005 00:15
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vcc/ezdropshipper/popsadent/108673/

Problem solved.

But seriously, watch the whole commercial...

Remember, Jimmy still loves you.
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 00:29
I think it's only that much because it appears like you will have to replace the whole bumper and maybe a side panel...

Lol at Jimmy

HATERS

WinXP Pro SP 1, 2.8 GHz Celeron, 512 MB DIMM RAM, 64 MB Radeon IGP 345M, 40 GB HDD
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 01:28
The sad thing is I did watch the whole commercial.

--From your favorite Cat Overlord
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 02:20
Same... It was great.

Cubes with guns? Something isn't right...
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 06:16 Edited at: 1st Jan 2005 06:20
Quote: "For something like a BMW I'd understand, but a :coughhorriblecough: Mazda 3.. "

Horrible Mazda 3? It's only the most reliable and safe consumer car on the market--- beating that of the Toyota cars. I don't think you know anything about that car

And not to show off or anything, but the car was worth $25,000 --- not $15,000.

Quote: "can you imagine if the old guy hadnt had good insurance?"

Well, in my province we have this company called ICBC and they're the only company we're allowed to get car insurance through. It's a monopoly and everyone knows it, but at least everyone has coverage.

EDIT:

Quote: "Personally stuff like that I generally find it is best not to claim on, and just make a deal with the other driver. No point in risking the no-claims over something that will often be cheaper to fixx through a good garage."

Yeah, the man told me he would just pay for the damages if it was less than $500. After a few quotes said otherwise, we agreed to go through the insurance company.

EDIT 2:

Quote: " Care to elaborate on the accident itself?
Just from where the damage is, the only way I can see it not being a 'knock-for-knock' is if you weren't in the car."

I assume that 'knock-for-knock' means both of our fault. Actually I turned right onto the road, and the old guy turned left onto the road so he was in the left and I was in the right lane--- our lanes formed next to each other (if you know what I mean). As soon as our lanes were side by side, he instantly changed lanes into my lane without even checking if anyone was there (I was there). His explanation was he thought I had a Yield sign, so I should have been watching out for him--- but there's no sign because it's 2 separate lanes. My lane didn't merge into his or anything--- it was my own!

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 08:49 Edited at: 1st Jan 2005 08:53
I heard you guys get free health care as well, is that true?

Quote: "But seriously, watch the whole commercial... "

I did and noticed one thing, they never once showed a full clip of getting rid of the dent, even during the part where they put the suction cap n the blue car, it then changes to a new camera angle to complete the next step where it almost looks as though the dent had already disappeared.

It probably works, but not as well as in the commercial. I.e. You will probably still be able to see where the dent was, whilst the commercial made it seem as if it disappeared completely.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you christmasy answers."
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 08:50 Edited at: 1st Jan 2005 08:52
Quote: "it was my own!"

WOW, your own personal lane, you must be some kind of super rich road building person. Surely you'd have enough money to buy a pops-a-dent, maybe two.

Formely code2kill
To tell you the truth, I'm just glad I DON'T enjoy playng The Sims.
the play2kill fan club
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 10:10
Quote: "I don't think you know anything about that car"

Of course he doesn't know anything about that car. Notice how he used 'that said' as he does in almost every other post he makes when he tries to make people think he knows what hes talking about.

CURRENT PROJECT: Chaos Hizzle Demo
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 15:18
Quote: "It's a monopoly and everyone knows it, but at least everyone has coverage.
"

I heard they don't allow monopoly's over at Canada.

Sry bout the car man. It uh...defintaly wasen't me who hit it.

-Progress chart
3d engine: 46% physics: 67% AI: 89% Sanity: -51%
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 16:28
Quote: "Notice how he used 'that said' as he does in almost every other post he makes "

Hehehe I never noticed the 'that said' phrase before

Quote: "Sry bout the car man. It uh...defintaly wasen't me who hit it."

There's a good chance it wasn't you, unless you're retired, drive a Ford Aerostar van, and over a few provinces to the left on the blasted day

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:25:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:25:15