Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / what do you think about this idea for a FPSC game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Its 1776. Your one of the battered soldiers fighting by George Wasingtons side against the enemy.
Your sent in on an extremely secret mission to Britain to stop their production of weapons.
The target is the Royal Combat Guild. Combat training, weapons development and testing, science labs and experimental weapons chamber.
Upon your arrival you discover many things that you werent prepared for. The threat is so great that you must not leave and report until youve destroyed the complex or in the least slowed its advancment.
You uncover great evil brewing in the hands of the "red coats":
Advanced weapons
Human experimentation
Secret "communications" base in Roswell Mexico
Alien involvement with the war effort--???

Alien involvment? Yes. Apparently an alien race has seen an oppurtunity to take ultimate control of Earth by changing the scope of history....They intend to crush the Revolution and while working along side Britain, slowly take ultimate control of our planet. You obviously have to wipe out the whole system and allow history to take place.

At the end of the whole game, Washington forces the British sign an unbreakable treaty where they have to work with america forever or they will be eliminated for siding against humanity with alien beings. Furthermore, Washington raids the monitoring station in Roswell mexico and used the alien tachnology there to search for other outer-worldy beings, and discover whether they are freind or foe.

***This idea isnt complete yet and its a little unorganized but tell me what you think so far!

Comics and Games-Bread and Butter.
BenDstraw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 03:04
Woo, sci-fi stuff. Anyway a creative Idea but maybe leave the British as the enemies (instead of the treaty) or towards the beginning they become friends with the Yanks realizing the Aliens ultimate motives of world domination. You would have to find a creative way to make the musket wielding Yanks and Brits a match for the aliens (you would assume Aliens would have Superior technology than 1700's humans). What would be the main goal of the game. Kill alien king or Blow up where there making weapons etc. etc. Also important is to keep historic accuracy(sorry spelling). While still having that Sci-Fi element still there. Come up with good gameplay and you have KILLER GAME
hope helped your idea with my ideas!

¤§Ben§¤
Free is good price eh then visit
http://www.geocities.com/blacklab_studios
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 03:25 Edited at: 1st Jan 2005 03:33
Quote: "At the end of the whole game, Washington forces the British sign an unbreakable treaty where they have to work with america forever or they will be eliminated for siding against humanity with alien beings."

Sorry, that just offends me. Our founding fathers were better men than to ever even suggest punishing a people for the crimes of their government, or a government for its actions in the distant past. Really

Edit-- didn't finish--

Never mind the fact that you're basically saying the British government at the time was evil, which was ridiculous. The revolutionary war was no clear cut bad guys vs good guys conflict where an evil dictator such as Hitler is attempting to conquor the world, or even something like the war in Iraq where an evil dictator wants to retain control of his country. Both sides were fighting for a legitimate cause. again

(Second edit: By the way, I don't know why I'm bothering to say this, but if there really was an alien force attempting to take over the world at that time without the physical force to simply conquor it [which doesn't make sense in and of itself, really; a few hundred well trained troops armed with modern weapons and vehicles could have wiped out large countries in the 18th century], they would not have, if they'd had any sense, sided with the established government of Britain, but instead helped the U.S. win the war and planted themselves inside the government as it was created. In fact, given the vast amounts of luck it took for us to win the war, that seems like a fairly decent theory to me )

Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 03:35 Edited at: 1st Jan 2005 03:39
Why 1776?

No really... why 1776? Why washington? Why make brits the bad guys?

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 04:03
Well, we did cause it - unfair taxes and what-not.

Beware the Christmas... The fattener... The drunkard...
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 04:09
@Lynx

The war of independance.

@Game Freak10K

Have to admit, this game idea doesn't strike any chords with me. First off, the era isn't the best of all. Combat was quite crap in this era. It's a hybrid between hand to hand with crap hand to hand weapons and shooting with crap guns.

Also, it's fair enough to make an accurate reconstruction of the war of independance, and it's fair enough to allow the player to play the americans to win. That's all good. As a brit, I don't find that offensive, because that's true. However, to demonise the brits as alien siding madmen with nazi style plans is pretty bizarre.

Nobody will be able to give this game credit unless they are american and uneducated / overly patriotic about this period in history, or it's done from a cartoony comedy angle. Even then, I would never be happy shooting english toffs. Not because it's too close to home. Just because limey posh redcoats with rifles and riding about on horses are awesome! Redcoats were respected and feared enemies and very well trained - not nazi alien siding madmen!

I blame Mel Gibson for the Patriot. I actually really like that film, but he does have a tendancy to demonise.

I would suggest either making an historically correct war of independance game, or going for the alien vs american angle without demonising the brits.

Just to stress, I'm not offended by your idea, and I think it's imaginative and cool in a way. I just don't think anyone will give it any credit or like it as it's using a real conflict and real sides in a totally unbelievable way.

JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 04:13
Sounds like someone recently saw an episode of Enterprise.

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 04:16
Quote: " Well, we did cause it - unfair taxes and what-not.
"

Yes, basically. The British government was extremely unfair. But not evil. Interpreting extremely unfair as doing things like human experimentation and forging alliances with evil aliens sort of annoys me

Fallout makes a good point about combat being crappy. It took sixty seconds to reload a musket if you were quick

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 04:20
And you would have to be careful doing it otherwise you would blow your fingers off.

Beware the Christmas... The fattener... The drunkard...
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 04:23
MAN!!! That had to have taken you a long time dood. I've been thinking of storylines for a game when I finally get my hands on FPSC and none of them have that interesting. good job. keep it up.
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
I will eat your soul

:: 1.8 gHZ AMD Duron :: 256 MB Ram :: 32 MB SiS Graphics ::

:: Current Project: Sea Bound ::
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 04:52
Quote: " Sounds like someone recently saw an episode of Enterprise."

I was about to say the same thing.

<Mouse> lag, d'you like "real" RPGs? : <drac_work> ... : <drac_work> isnt that an oxymoron : * Mouse slaps drac_work :
<Mouse> don't contradict me bitch
JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 05:40
Quote: "I was about to say the same thing."

Seem a little too similar to you as well? At least I've not gone crazy then.

Game Freak10K
Years of Service
User Offline
!! Thank yall for the comments and please forgive me, I did not mean to offend the British. Im no racist or whatever. I DO NOT classify the British as Nazi's. They werent evil then and they arent evil now.

This is a STORY, an IDEA, an UNFINISHED THOUGHT. This stuff I typed up isnt to be taken as a serious piece of work. We make games people, we come up with ridiculous, and sometimes far out ideas. I got history wrong ok, I graduated from school 3 years ago! I dont remember exactly how the story went!

Again I didnt make the Brits the bad guys, in 1776 THEY WERE THE BAD GUYS (but not evil). But that was then, I dont make history. History (much like sh@t)...just happens some times ok. I picked a scene and separated the good the bad and the ugly. Simple.

Combat sucks as always, and Im sure when those soldiers were freezing their butts off (literally) they thought thier "crappy" guns were the best thing since...I dunno. But they sure as hell didnt think their weapons sucked and in a video game you can take the most sucktacular weapon and make it look amazing. Its called imagination baby!

I was actually thinking of not posting this due to the high volumes of diversified minds and sensitivities I detect roaming the forums. But I did. And I thank you all for posting. To the offended, I sincerely apologize. I sit down and work hard at coming up with ideas, I just wanted to share one with this community. Ill choose my words (and stories) more carefully in the future.

Cheerio!

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 06:09
Well I have to say you've got the right attitude about it . Congrats.

I still think combat would be slow as crap though

JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 06:10
Might be interesting as an RTS or TBS, though.

Game Freak10K
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually I wanted my first real FPSC project to be this or something similar, so Im willing to work around it.
Combat would drag if I followed history, yes. But your fighting more in "1776 enemy" territory. Youll be coming against guards and other security. Do I HAVE to take out human xperimentation
Its just an idea........
I forsee the player fighting his old soldier buddies that are mutants/zombies, and even some homeland mutants, like.....dare I say it...super soldiers?
Heres a secret...I wasnt watching Enterprise, I was playing Return To Castle Wolfenstein...........I guess im really in for it now huh?.
AND NO I STILL DONT THINK THE BRITISH ARE NAZIS. ITS JUST A GAME IDEA!!!
Cheerio.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 06:29
Quote: " in 1776 THEY WERE THE BAD GUYS "

To who? They weren't the bad guys to people who lived in England. They're just the bad guys to their enemies--- same as any other country.

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Game Freak10K
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok Jeeze im sorry. In the game I guess Ill just have to say that Washington was fighting..."someone". 3 moderators, 2 of which are currently not pleased with a historic fact, Ill just leave the idea alone.
CAN SOMEONE DELETE THIS THREAD PLEASE? ITS GETTING TOO SERIOUS IN HERE.

Cheerio!

JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 18:23
Game Freak, the problem isn't with the game idea, as such. It's with the portrayal of the English as butchers. Your idea (or whoever came up with it first ) is an interesting one. While you have artistic license to change bits of history, what people are taking offense to is that you're changing a 'plain' territorial enemy into a band of psychophants.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 22:59
@Game Freak10K

Don't worry mate. I don't see anyone in this thread who has been offended at all. Everyone has been civil and just said what they've thought. Don't worry about asking for it to be deleted - I really see no reason to delete it. Personally I think it's good to throw up these out-there type ideas, ask for feedback and then constructively talk about it.

I think if you want some sort of super-human in this era then there are more believable ways to go about it. Aliens is ok, but for me personally I find the fact that aliens aren't around now make aliens being around in the 18th century kinda unbelievable. I think fact and fiction can mix, but it has to be in a believable way. For example, I wouldn't have a scenario with aliens unless it was in the current day or in the future. The past is set in stone and therefore to make a game based in our past which we know everything about and then add something crazy like aliens on a big scale might seem odd.

At the moment aliens are fiction, so they're best placed in a finctional world. The future is a fictional world because it hasn't existed. Does any of this make sense? Somethings could've occured in the 18th century though. There were native americans - now it might be more believable to think along the lines of magic. I know they didn't practice voodoo, but you could come up with some story of a native american tribe that practice a black magic and could raise people from the dead, or imbue people with powers from the spirit world etc. That's still fantasy, but it's based on real people and a real culture of the spirit world and beliefs that were held at the time.

Once again, that's just a random idea. Just trying to show you my perspective. Hope it helps. At the end of the day though, it's your game and you should do whatever you want to do. It's just if you want it to be popular, you need to choose popular subject matter.

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 23:50
Please can I point out that ALL history is relative to the individual. One man's freedom fighter is another's terrorist.

For example, as regards the War of Independence, Americans see the British as the "bad guys".

The British generally do not put the war into such stark black and white terms. However, assuming one wanted to do so, one could certainly put forward a credible contrary case that the rebels were the "bad guys". One could certainly argue that a bunch of rebellious colonialists intent on causing civil unrest and not paying fair taxes to help maintain the Royal Navy (which protected America from the depredations of the other European powers) were the "bad guys".

I make no such argument myself. My view of the War of Independence is the same as that expressed so movingly by Churchill in his seminal History of the English Speaking Peoples (for which he rightly won a Nobel Prize for Literature).

I do, however, find films like "The Patriot" incredibly offensive and insulting.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 23:57
Quote: "I do, however, find films like "The Patriot" incredibly offensive and insulting."

u571 was more insulting, you seen it? i think it was made by that a** mel gibson too. It was the british who captured the first enigma decoding thing, true the americans did capture one eventually... 3 months after the war ended. By which time the germans were giving them away in car boot sales
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 23:59 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2005 00:04
Quote: "ITS GETTING TOO SERIOUS IN HERE"

How about this for a plot then:

A levitating woman is discovered by Nazi clockmakers who stand and watch with amusement (anyone who has played the "family fun" game Blag will not know what I'm talking about ). Then the clockmakers decide to make their Nazi-shaped clocks levitate causing an imbalance on the Scale of Levitating Nazi Clocks, which causes WW2.5, where the ememies all heil at the striking of the hour, which is when you must strike to save humankind. Not overlooking that you are American, macho, Winston Churchill (not referencing to a certain film there) and a member of all racial minority groups (including fat people)....

I'll shut up now, but that might lighten it up a bit.
EDIT: or worsen it due to several accidental things that could be considered insulting

@Philip: I agree completely, it depends on the viewpoint. Propaganda and statistics rely on this (examples: one my History teacher gave: "Statistics show that Russian [(we were studying Russia at the time)] electrical usage has gone up by 400% - they bought 4 more lightbulbs" AND countries tell the population that rival countries are evil and they are right)

HATERS

WinXP Pro SP 1, 2.8 GHz Celeron, 512 MB DIMM RAM, 64 MB Radeon IGP 345M, 40 GB HDD
Game Freak10K
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok thanks, these comments are fair enough.
Are there any FPS GhostBusters games? I mean I cant possibly go wrong can I? Ghosts, fantasy and what-not. Instead of being a comedy, make it an action/horror endeavor. Some team elements like Halo. Futuristic of course.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 08:27
Quote: "It was the british who captured the first enigma decoding thing"

Actually, it was the Canadians *and* the British.

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1340

Quote: "Factual error: Although these the type of mission depicted in the movie did occur, it was not Americans that were known to do them. Canadian and British teams were specialized to do this mission."

But typical Americanism aside, the movie was pretty good.

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 01:04
who gives a crap who is portrayed as the bad guys, ITS A FICTIONAL GAME WITH ALIENS! its not a history lesson.

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 01:53
Well said Uberwigget robx.

Guns arn't the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arn't a problem anymore.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 01:58
Brits are practically commies.

I like Kristen Kreuk
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 02:00
I take offence! MOST Brits a practically commies

Robx, why not make the burning man your avatar?

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 02:29
Historical accuracy does need to be maintained.

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
I have no signature.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:29:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:29:09