Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Doom the movie.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 08:52
Well shooting has begun on the Doom movie, I myself am disgusted by the direction they have taken with the series, just a few of the notable details that have been changed....

1. movie does not take place on mars, but on an fictional alien planet.
2. the protagonists do not fight demons from hell, but rather, humans infected with a virus (WOW ORIGINALITY AT WORK!)

Just those 2 things completely ruin it for me, I don't even want to see it now, because I mean come on, you don't have a doom movie unless you have Demons from hell! That is what Doom is based on, yet they totally screwed even that up. Yet another example of hollywoods amazing ability to take even the simplist idea and turn it into complete and utter garbage. But what surprises me the most, is the fact that ID has not pulled the plug on this yet! Hopefully they weren't stupid and gave up all of the rights to the Doom series! Because if I was them, I would have pulled the project, the minute I saw the script. Heck I would rather watch 2 hours of Doom 3 footage, than a resident evil in space.

Guns arn't the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arn't a problem anymore.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 09:00
Resident Evil and Apocalypse were pretty good though
This said, this is attempt number what.. 5 at making a Doom film.

At this point i'm of the 'when there is a theatrical trailer i'll believe it' point.
This said, anyone seen the trailer for Magic Roundable? looks pretty cool

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 09:03 Edited at: 1st Jan 2005 09:09
i really really doubt this is true, just some rumors that someone threw around to annoy people, however after watching the utter cow pat of a movie resident evil 2, anything is possible. if it is true then most doom fans wont see it and they will loose a huge amount of money etc etc

edit: @raven lol! imo it was a huge betrayal of the resident evil games, they made the main characters of the game into the background, taking little notice to them and instead focusing on this other "neo type" character no one heard about before.. come on we didnt even get to see the nemesis mutate
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 09:09 Edited at: 1st Jan 2005 09:11
I see your point but if shooting has just begun there's still plenty of time to change parts of the movie. I don't know because I haven't played it but weren't some of the DOOM 3 enemys humans that had become infected. You say it would just be like resident evil in space but isn't DOOM similar to Aliens in places. With the whole person stuck in a space craft full of aliens theme. Then again, it's pretty hard to think of an idea for a movie that hasn't already been done, like the commercial game industry, people are just too scared to try something new because they feel it won't sell aswell as another GTA, but if we look even deeper into it we could just say that Virtua Tennis was a rip off of PONG and DOOM was Space Invaders with a bit more polish.

Games and Hollywood don't really go together though, games based on movies will sell loads even in they aren't any good and movies based on games will do the same.

Formely code2kill
To tell you the truth, I'm just glad I DON'T enjoy playng The Sims.
the play2kill fan club
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 09:35 Edited at: 1st Jan 2005 09:35
Mandatory IMDB Link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419706/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj0wfHE9RG9vbXxodG1sPTF8bm09b24_;fc=2;ft=86;fm=1

"Computers are useless, they can only give you christmasy answers."
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 09:56 Edited at: 1st Jan 2005 10:06
I read all of my info off of IGN. With the trend hollywood is taking I wouldnt be surprised if something like this happens.....

We have taken a few liberties with the Half life movie that we think are really great, instead of Gordon freeman, the protagonist will be none other than Richard simons, as his experimental exercise routine goes horribly wrong, we found the Half life setting kind of boring, so now it takes place on the moon, with a fleet of deathstars battling it out in every shot, in order to attract a young male audience, every 10th of a second boobs will be flashed across the screen!

Of course we wanted to keep the movie's experience as close to the game's as possible, but lets face it, the crowbar is just boing! So now richard simons will fight off waves of headcrabs using a hairband and his spandex covered buttocks!

Casing is as follows:

Richard simons: Gaydon freehand
screech from saved by the bell: Dr.Klingon
Lil kim: Alix
Samuel L Jackson: Eli vance
Steve Irwin: Barney

COMING 2007!

Guns arn't the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arn't a problem anymore.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 11:35
Quote: "edit: @raven lol! imo it was a huge betrayal of the resident evil games, they made the main characters of the game into the background, taking little notice to them and instead focusing on this other "neo type" character no one heard about before.. come on we didnt even get to see the nemesis mutate"

Depends how you look at it. Resident Evil, the films are much like the Tomb Raider films.. while sure they do take reference from the4 games, they're not suppose to be in the same universe. The directors from each of the films have said this quite exclusively on the DVD Extra Interviews.. that is if you bother to watch them

Personally I think the story should've centralised far more around Alice as she was the character handed to us, and really skimmed in Resident Evil... which was just class. The ending of the film left you feeling as though she was thrown into the events that led upto the Racoon City (Original) epidemic; while at the same time, the fact is they are quite remote.

The lickers for example after feeding on someone will mutate.. but in the game they don't. To be honest I think the whole 'Nemesis' area of the film was just trying to get the gamers to come to the film to be perfectly honest. The original flopped in the Cinema, which Capcom attributed to the fact that it was 'too' loosely based around the game. While it had some locations, names and facts these were always fleeting and the story revolved quite contently around characters we'd never seen or heard of before as well as taking us to the Hive which looked and was setup quite different to what it was in Resident Evil 2.

Apocalypse definately brought alot more people to see the movie, but in the process it did kinda piss on the original intention of the film. I do much prefer getting to know new characters in the given environment / situation for thier very own story to unfold rather than basing something far too closely and loosing the plot to the game. This would actually have defeated what alot of the fans liked about the series... Suspense, Atmosphere, Action, and Depth.

Alot of the 'fans' complained about Resident Evil Zero, claiming it didn't do the game series any favours. Later turned out that most people just had some problem with the fact that you play as Rebecca Chambers, and that she sounded young and was 'abnormally thin'.
I think that might explain to you what gender the majority of Resident Evil fans are.. and it is probably again why Apocalypse was slanted for not being what they held familiar and because it had a female lead. (two of them really)

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 11:46
Nobody found my Half life two parody funny? I spent atleast 2 minuts of thought into it

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 14:13
Karl Urban's probably the perfect Doom marine, but it's a shame they're screwing the classic over like that. Oh well.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 14:18
Yeah, it's true about the bastardization of the plot. No, it's not rumors (Why would you even think that?)

It will be an awful movie. No amount of good directing can save it. Video games really shouldn't be made into movies to begin with, because you can tell so much story in a video game than with a movie. It'll become cheesy on a big screen, but amazing if it happens to you in a game.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 14:23
Movies after games usually don't work out to well. Problem is you don't have enough time for non-gamers to get to know the character in a movie like you do in a game.

Can't really name any successful movies off of games, anyone help me here?

Tomb raider movies were alright, and I was able to watch the whole thing through.

Just don't have high hopes for a Doom movie unfortuantly.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 16:55
I'm tired of all these damn movies not following the game plots. Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh did a transcription of the LOTR book, why can't these producers do a transcription of the game's script? Huh? Why not?

The Final Fantasy movie sucked, so did Mario Bros., Tomb Raider was okay (but keep in mind I never played the game). Never saw the Resident Evil films. They appeal to me not as a Resident Evil films but as slasher films, which in reality is what they are....another Night of the Living Dead.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 17:59
Quote: "This said, this is attempt number what.. 5 at making a Doom film."

I think its the first.
Ali M Oldboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 19:17
Hey,

I heard also there MIGHT be a halo film coming out!
YAY!

No further info...

"Live fast, die young!" - Laslo (GTA Vice City)
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 21:40 Edited at: 1st Jan 2005 21:47
lol the producers are just stupid if this plot is actually being put in the movie. I mean what sounds better: The gate of hell being opened and hell spawn eating everyone and one guy left alive blasting everything or a virus..... *cough*

@raven: i dont mind the plot taking place away from the game characters.. the first RE film was okay but imo it needed to be longer, more tense, and we should have seen a tyrant at least, maybe one or 2 of those plant things. What annoyed me about the 2nd film was that they had the main characters from the game, but screwed over the plot in the game. It should have been kept seperate from the movie, maybe have them passing by once in a while etc, have alice fight nemesis but it gets away to face off Jill.. bleh you know what i mean .
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 22:35
lmao Chris.. nope. It is possibly the first that Arnie hasn't been asked to do though.
Throughout the mid-90s there was a Doom Movie in the works, or rather it was on-again off-again. Shooting started, and well.. god knows what ended up happening.

I've heard of Bungie's Halo movie.. it's another film that is a case of 'when there is a trailer'.

Quote: "The Final Fantasy movie sucked, so did Mario Bros., Tomb Raider was okay (but keep in mind I never played the game). Never saw the Resident Evil films. They appeal to me not as a Resident Evil films but as slasher films, which in reality is what they are....another Night of the Living Dead."

WTF?! Are you some sort of retard, the Final Fantasy movie was AWESOME! It had nothing to do with the games aside from the underlying plot, that in itself made it a perfect movie rather than the Advent Children. Don't get me wrong that's a good movie as well, but it didn't really go to help explaining much.. instead just raised enough questions for them to open the doors to a true sequal.

Super Mario Bros, did suck.. but then it was released when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was also doing the rounds, so really I just chalk that one up to the poor quality of the early 90s.

I would suggest before you think of the Resident Evils as 'slasher' movies you take the time to actually play the games and read up on the movies. Believe me, the games and movies are both designed to screw with your mind on the most primative levels..
Silent Hill gives you a psychological chill, and is done in such a way that actually could leave some people going away from it with serious issues. Resident Evil has always been about confusing the player, making them feel safe and terrified both in the same breath.
You get so worked up about completeing a puzzle quickly and what the puzzle means, you forget there are beasts around that wish to take a chunk out of you! There are very few scenes in the games or movies that will actually make you jump, like you would at Alien or something.. It's just designed to make sure you never truely know what is going on, that in itself frightens people. Just as you feel you've sussed things, another twist is added to make sure your concentrating on something else.

As I said above.. the Tomb Raider films are good. They're not exactly excellent, or peices of cinematic artwork.. but they are quite enjoyable to watch more than once. When you realise there is only a loose tie to the game... a bit like alternative universes, you can enjoy the movies just for what they are; Indiana Jones' with a Woman, rather than for the game tie-in.

Quote: "@raven: i dont mind the plot taking place away from the game characters.. the first RE film was okay but imo it needed to be longer, more tense, and we should have seen a tyrant at least, maybe one or 2 of those plant things. What annoyed me about the 2nd film was that they had the main characters from the game, but screwed over the plot in the game. It should have been kept seperate from the movie, maybe have them passing by once in a while etc, have alice fight nemesis but it gets away to face off Jill.. bleh you know what i mean "

Yeah, the movie did need to be longer... I mean 1hr 40min is quite a reasonable film length, but the story felt a little skimmed in places. I think the feeling was to create the movie to have a bit more action than the games, as you notice it seems build itself up ever 20minutes and then something cool happens.
like the 'Waffle Laser'

I do know what you mean about adding in the Tyrants, but I think the Licker actually fit quite well given it mutated. Just they weren't really hunted long enough by it.. they could've played with that as they were getting back to the train.
I know what you mean about the second though, they added the main characters.. needlessly imo, but no doubt it was a ploy to get more of the gamers into the box office this time. Sadly it worked, so if there is a 3rd film.. they might do the same.

I'd love to slap these guys over the cliff-hanger endings though heh

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 22:47 Edited at: 1st Jan 2005 22:49
Quote: " Final Fantasy movie was AWESOME!"

It was good from a technical point of view and ah .. Doctor whatsername - however the actual story dragged.

Computer generated films are the way to go though.

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
I have no signature.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 00:46
lol.. It was more of a nitché film Nick, while no doubt Square thought it would appeal to the gamers cause of the story depth; the way in which it was told put off alot of people.

Technically speaking there are some instances that are chringeable at how it's been done. Before Chris worked on Final Flight of the Osris, there was a big discussion on some of the techniques used.

One thing that got to alot of artists about the film was the incontinuty of the artwork. Alot of the artists we a gathering of guys from Square-USA who had done CGI before, but not to the degree that was being asked of them.. my mate Chris who worked on the film, was going into it with basically nothing but visual effects behind him and he had to create and animate an entire character on his own. You can see throughout the film the fact alot of the guys were learning new things about Maya and trying to push what was possible with it.
At the start the CG is about that what you could expect from a game, good but not exactly ground breaking, but as it goes on you see the skin & muscles improving.

One thing that really peeved my mate off was the end where Aki was suppose to cry, and no one had any ideas how to do it properly.. as such the scene was pulled out to stop detail being shown so they didn't have to worry about it. Mainly as each attempt made at it really ended in unacceptable results.

You'll notice in FFOTO that they were able to do things like sweat, and the whole thing had a softer action to everything. Things like the clothes being sliced up while unfortunately written externally meaning they couldn't avoid doing them produced results that caused frustration. It is extremely hard to try and fray edges, and provided that clothing bobble effect. These are things that add alot of realism, but are just too difficult of costly currently speaking.

The film itself was actually quite short, unfortunately again the focus was on a small part of the story. Final Fantasy games tend to have a habit of dragging on stories... after all generally speaking they take people around 35-40hrs to complete the first go through.

I do hear alot from guys bragging 'oh i completed such'n'such in 13hrs'.. games like Final Fantasy X, but quite frankly I think that's complete BS; given myself and my brothers are pretty damn good at these games, and I tend to fly through them as quickly as possible to see new things. Even my time in FFX was 22hrs first time, I don't know anyone who can prove to me they completed it much quicker. Even on the retry trying to do everything as fast as possible could only make 14hrs, fact being that alot of the game is cut-scenes and battling in areas constantly ... in order to be strong enough to beat bosses you need to battle, but the battles generally last a few minutes because until you get to the end there are not many 1-hit kills.

And that's one of the easiest of the series.
I dunno, the movie just seemed quite perfectly to fit the FF name really. Technically it was a breakthrough in CG Realism on the big screen, but it was very true to the games.. I mean even gamers have to remember that FFX / FFX-2 are the FIRST Final Fantasies to be set within the same Universe. Each of the others are set in entirely new universes, new characters, monsters, etc...
The film was designed in order to give it a more realistic example, of what the Ghia Theory is about. Something that wasn't too fantasy as to allow people who'd never played the game to understand what is going on.

Problem was, it was still over alot of peoples heads cause the story was just too in-depth and subtle, with traces that only fans would really understand. Fans generally hated it because it wasn't 'true' to the game. Trying to please everyone, they ended up making it a very nitché film. Sad, but I don't care Still think it was bloody awesome.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 01:06
Most people cant cope with complex stories nowadays... I've never played any of the FF games so I didn't know how close it was (or not) to them.

I have no signature.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 01:12
Heh, well I don't see your interest being kept long enough to play one.. they are quite boring if your not a fan. Personally I always felt Grandia was a better RPG anyways.

Hey could you do something for me. I can't remember who's doing it, but someone has taken my signature image and attached it to his own signature. Kinda pissing me off seeing people constantly taking my signatures for thier own use or bastardising them, could you just cut it out of his sig for me?
Not seen Rich about to ask him to do it. I think there should be a rule around here conserning using other ppls signatures.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 01:14
Wait a minute. How can you say Final Fantasy was good?
It´s not even possible to say it´s watchable. It´s a terrible movie. Totally unoriginal and dull.
It tries to get you to care about the characters lives before you even know who they are for crying out loud.
The name was used to get more revenue as it had nothing to do with Final Fantasy. I didn´t want them to copy the story line of one of the games but it would have helped if it had something to do Final Fantasy.
The only reason for you to like the film is because it was technically brilliant and they used Maya to make it. If they had used 3D Studio Max you would have hated the film.

The perfect xmas present.
Libera tu mente y te liberaras.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 01:23
Pixar are the real kings of CG.

They're the one's pushing the envelope.

Like you said about clothes, Pixar made a system for Monsters Inc where they could just animate Boo then the computer would drape her t-shirt over her and would fold and crease properly.

The water that really runs off the whale's tongue in Finding Nemo (and off the plane in The Incredibles) is absolutely amazing.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 01:28
Quote: "Hey could you do something for me. I can't remember who's doing it, but someone has taken my signature image and attached it to his own signature"

I'll see what I can do if I find them - if you can remember who it is, would make it easier...

Quote: "Pixar are the real kings of CG."

I dont think it'll be too long before they start doing realistic human movement.

I have no signature.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 01:34
Quote: "Wait a minute. How can you say Final Fantasy was good?
It´s not even possible to say it´s watchable. It´s a terrible movie. Totally unoriginal and dull.
It tries to get you to care about the characters lives before you even know who they are for crying out loud.
The name was used to get more revenue as it had nothing to do with Final Fantasy. I didn´t want them to copy the story line of one of the games but it would have helped if it had something to do Final Fantasy.
The only reason for you to like the film is because it was technically brilliant and they used Maya to make it. If they had used 3D Studio Max you would have hated the film."

The storyline was:
30years ago an Asteroid falls to earth and it sends the world into what they believe is an invasion from an Alien army they can not harm with conventional weapons. A reknown scientist comes up with a way of harnessing a form of Energy that counteracts the Aliens and a defense is created. The world ends up looking baron and wartorn with everyone huddling in over populated cities in constant fear of the alien invasion. Only to find out that they're not fighting aliens at all but they are ethereal (ghosts) from another planet brought to live by the living spirit (Ghia) that makes up the core of the planet.. over years of bitterness over what happened and constant pain being thrown through the universe the aliens are obviously quite pissed at thier prediciment.

.. What is the ONE thing that every Final Fantasy game has in common. The Ghia Theory!
What is the Ghia theory? It is the theory that planets are living entities that create the circle of life, as you die your spirit returns to the planet, and as such is put back on the planet in order to do a job so that you may die again. I don't know how well these games translated across the languages... But that theory is the core bases behind the games. While you'll find the main character (usually male) all question who they are and where they come from, that is always a sub-story.

In my eyes.. the Movie is quite simply a perfect accentuation of the underlying story of the games. The characters are not given to you in order to care before you know about them... no one dies until the end of the film, by which point you know who they are; the start of the film is an introduction to the characters, but your thrown into a story that is already near it's conclusion. Simply because there is just too much back story to tell in a single movie.

Not only is the movie, very firmly Final Fantasy based... but it is also quite an original concept for a film as well. Providing someone clues to what is happening now from being shown the past, a restless spirit who just wants the suffering to end and as such tries to guide Aki to the solution. At the same time that spirit, is a rare one. The rest are just too angry.

You have the standard military thinking in there, where the General believes if he has no proof then that means it isn't real. Something that in the end kills him due to his impatience, and prejudice.

It is a quite unique story and the way it is told is also.. quite unique. I don't know of any other film like it.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 01:36
What do you mean?

Go to here and watch "What Makes The Incredibles"
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 01:41
@ Raven

You obviously liked it, but as a general opinion it sucked. I'd certainly subscribe to that.

If you go into it as a film, not having played the games, it really isn't that good.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 01:45
Quote: "Pixar are the real kings of CG.

They're the one's pushing the envelope.

Like you said about clothes, Pixar made a system for Monsters Inc where they could just animate Boo then the computer would drape her t-shirt over her and would fold and crease properly."

Pixar are the one's who provide the technology. After all Renderman the system that provided the idea for Hardware Shaders, that current games use (and not that different in design to HLSL actually) is thier creation after Luxo Jnr, a film that at the time took 75hrs to render one frame.. and now for the same quality can be done real-time on a GeForce3.

They didn't invent the Cloth technology for Maya though, it is something Alias|Wavefront developed for Maya 4.0, along with Fluids. While Pixar are great at using the tools at thier disposal with a Rendering system that can really bring out some aweseom graphics .. they do prefer to create the Cartoon and more generalised comedy cartoons.

They enjoy providing laugher and fun, rather than something with deep seriousness. It isn't very likely they're every going to change what they do, but then personally I see the integration of CG into Real-Action films being the way to go.

just look at i-Robot, or Minority Report. Those films added a level of realism that does make it extremely hard to tell when the CG and RL was begining and ending... for the first time in i-Robot I was actually unable to tell the transition when the Audi in the USR Garage Level changed into CG to be parked.

Same goes for in the tunnel, when the car is being battered about.
I knew some of it wasn't real, and some of it was.. but for the life of me; the transistion between the two, had me fooled so damn well. The CG Artists on that film and Actors really did a bloody awesome job and made the film so fluid despite just how much CG was used throughout.
It was nice to see a film with only brief periods where I though "c'mon!! the lighting is all wrong there!"

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 01:48
Quote: "You obviously liked it, but as a general opinion it sucked. I'd certainly subscribe to that."

Well then it's just others opinions it wasn't that great.
There is no reason to say the film sucked outright, because personally I loved it to bits! As I said, it's a nitché film; and I'm alright with that. I just don't feel people can say the film sucked because of "such'n'such" .. when really that aspect of the film was quite well done. Just because someone else feels the film lacked there or the general consensis is that it was crap.. fine, but people don't really have a right to tell me that my opinion is wrong because they didn't like it.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 01:56
Oh. So it does have something to do with Final Fantasy. Would help if play one of the games. Why can´t they put the series on something that isn´t a ps2. Has to be the one I don´t own..

I still stand by my original comment of it being crap though.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 02:07
Quote: "a film that at the time took 75hrs to render one frame.. and now for the same quality can be done real-time on a GeForce3."

No, not quite.

It has dynamic lighting which is only just coming into gaming with Stalker and Unreal 3.
FINN MAN
Years of Service
User Offline
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 02:27
@Doom the movie

No Marines (IMDB has it wrong.. or old.. do look in IGN)
No UAC
No Mars
and No Demons

This isn't DooM, this is utter BS.

@FF movie

I thought the story was lacking, though i have only watched it twice (and not in the last year or so) once in the theater then once on DVD. The visualizations are amazing, i thought it was a graphical masterpeice. The voice acting was astounding, bit still at the end of the movie, the story felt kinda daft. The movie was pretty good non the less.

On the subject of Final Fantasy stories, i think it outta be said that of all the games, FF8 has the most intriuging story. FF6 in a close second then FF7. I'd probably have FF9 in the top 3 if it wasn't for the final boss coming out of nowhere, having nothing to do with the story. FF10 was annoying, the characters where annoying, the story was generic... i give it a worse rating in story then FF1 (which was basiclly, 4 warriors meet and come ot a castle and come to save the day from the Evil Chaos). FF4 had an OK story, nothing spectacular, FF3(nes) was also ok (but still had the 4 warriors come to save the day). FF5 was a interesting one. It had a few twists and turns and really paved the way fro FF6 to pop in. FF2(NES) wasn't really good for its story, but its leveling system was innovative, but that has nothing to do with story, so meh.

So I rank them:

1)FF8 (Excellent story IMO)
2)FF6 (The Whole "Evil man destroy world" thing felt generic at first, but it really expanded itself in the long run, giving each character a feel of depeth... turned out amazing, and was fufilling even in the end)
3)FF7 (Most people say this one has the best story, i thought it was really lacking detail, but had a great conclusion and still great characters... so its #3)
4)FF9 (If it wasn't for the ending and final boss, i'd have it at #2. Somehow, the last 20 minutes of this game just failed for me... it was dreary)
5)FF5 (Sorta generic... crystals destroying... get abilitys... but then you start having planetary travel, and then planets merging from magic, and all that fun stuff... really got exciting at the end. But the begining was very boring.. thats why its #5)
6)FF3 (Sorta generic, the 4 brothers fall into a cave, get special powers from a crystal... nothing much, but better then a few)
7)FF4 (Awful... you start a darknight, you turn into a Light paladin... you go to hell and to space and sh*t like that... i was left so confused at times. The way the characters we're played out... you never really saw them for long periods of time.. so the only memorable ones are Cecil, Kain, and Rosa... i thought it was awful)
8)FF1 (Save the world from chaos and the temple of fiends)
9)FF2 (What, you mean this has a story? You must mean the whole Your rebels against a different country type place... so you get shipped off and do a lot of fighting then some more fighting.. till it ended.)
10)FF10 (If i had to here Yuna and Tidus whine anymore, i was gonna beat myself in the head with the analog controller. Then you have that repulsive Seymour... i couldn't stand this games story, and the slow battles, and slow travel didn't help me stay awake. The only reason i still own this game is for Blitzball... which is slightly enjoyable. It was so linear it was sick... It bored me beyond anything else, except blitzball. The game was sad... and i cried when this was released. I can only hope that FF12 is much better, or i shall just say "FU SquareEnix... you suck"... which isn't harsh, but its cool.)

<Mouse> lag, d'you like "real" RPGs? : <drac_work> ... : <drac_work> isnt that an oxymoron : * Mouse slaps drac_work :
<Mouse> don't contradict me bitch
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 02:57
Quote: "Oh. So it does have something to do with Final Fantasy. Would help if play one of the games. Why can´t they put the series on something that isn´t a ps2. Has to be the one I don´t own..

I still stand by my original comment of it being crap though."

How the hell can you talk about something you have no clue about?
Seriously, you bitched that it was nothing like the games then you said you haven't played the games..

As such how the hell do you know how much it is like Final Fantasy or isn't!?
Sorry but that just totally invalidates your original argument, meaning you don't like the movie for other reasons.. now you can either be honest about WHY you don't like the movie, or you can sit down and shut up.

Quote: "No, not quite.

It has dynamic lighting which is only just coming into gaming with Stalker and Unreal 3. "

Were you at the GeForce3 Launch Party? Did you see Doom3 when it was unvieled in Tokyo?
That is where Pixar showed Luxo Jnr, using the brand new Hardware Shader technology.. showing it in real-time achieving the exact same picture quality. (they had both of them running side-by-side)

The guy then went on to rotate the scene to prove that it was being done real-time, and further went on to talk about what went into making Luxo Jnr.
I believe they *still* have the movie of it on thier website, showing this.

The fact you cover Dynamic Lighting, being 'only just comming into gaming'... really is a crock of crap.

Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness, Doom3, and a number of console games currently use Dynamic Lighting & Volumetric Shadows. NVIDIA's GeForce 3 was the first card in thier series to have accelerated Volumetrics and Stencil Operations given they felt this was next generation stuff.

Another point is your saying 'gaming' is just getting it, well apart from what I said above. The fact is that Luxo Jnr was not recreated using a game engine, that would've been a huge waste to do it with one. It was Machinima pure and simple. Without the weight-down of AI/Physics/Collision/Etc... you can allow the system to have alot more potencial than what games are capable of.
You only have to look back at the NVSDK 5.x to see that OpenGL (which was the rendering api used) is more than capable of achieving what was wanted using ASM Shaders.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
IGN Filmforce interviewed the director of the movie and he said that the stuff Major Payn stated was going to be in the movie, and that he wanted to expand on the Doom Universe...

(Yeah right... I think directors just enjoy ruining video games...)

It's a pity that Karl Urban is going to have his career ruined by this in my opinion, he's a very good actor, he was excelent in the Bourne Supremacy and Lotr and he was pretty good in Riddick.

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 03:32
Next up, a GTA enspired movie that takes place in space, with mutated infested viral humans!

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 03:41 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2005 03:43
Raven: While I haven´t played the games that´s not to say I haven´t watched someone else playing them. I don´t have to play the games to know it´s nothing like it. FF is a classical RPG. You save the world fighting monsters with swords, guns and magic whilst using strange gems to give you some ability. What the hell has that got to do with the movie? The only connection is the thingy theory.
Quote: "Sorry but that just totally invalidates your original argument"

How Raven? I said the movie is crap because the story was boring or can´t you read?
It seams to me that you´re reading it aswell as my last thread where you totally ignored me saying that I have never done any artwork in my life and I leave that stuff to my brother.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 03:47
Heh heh, a GTA game would be way too easy to make. Just get Will Smith, Martin Lawrence, and some other punky guys write a crime empire script around it and you've got GTA. As long as you present the story well then it will sell.

I never realized the connection the Final Fantasy movie had to the games until reading your post and recalling what I did in FF7 last night. The tie-in is cool, the story is unique, but it needed to be told better. While I watched it, it came across as a lifeless bore.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Thoth Onegan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 05:06
I liked the FF movie. Their are more connections : just not as obvious to find. (eg : always someone named Cid).
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 05:15
Funny fact:

Every Final Fantasy game (well inside the 1-10 set) has a Cid, and they are all connected to an Airship/Flying vehicle somehow.

<Mouse> lag, d'you like "real" RPGs? : <drac_work> ... : <drac_work> isnt that an oxymoron : * Mouse slaps drac_work :
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 08:58
Quote: "1)FF8 (Excellent story IMO)"

Probebly my most favorite final fantasy as well. I think it was a little underrated based on the success of Final Fantasy 7. Nothing wrong with that though, but I absolutly love that game.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 09:10
SFX said the Rock would play Sarge. Hmmm.

As to Final fantasy, personally I thought the story was a bit boring, the graphics were pretty good, but the overall impression I had was the sound was amazing. I have just a standard Dolby Digital system, and it sounded totally awesome. Keep meaning to buy the movie (I rented it) just for the sound effects. Top notch.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
That's another thing... Karl Urban acting along side The Rock...

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 09:17 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2005 09:19
Quote: "I'll see what I can do if I find them - if you can remember who it is, would make it easier..."

EDIT: Nope, he must've changed it.

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
On the topic of FF:SW, it was an okay movie from my perspective. You really had to concentrate while watching it though. I can see the whole gaia thing connecting to the games... I've only played one of them to a very far point as I don't own a PS console (though I'll buy one)... I think the problem was it was Final Fantasy going more Sci-Fi then people were used too, I mean I've seen guns in FF, but where were there the giant swords and where were the chocobos, I think this was some of the problems people had with it...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 11:57
Quote: "Every Final Fantasy game (well inside the 1-10 set) has a Cid, and they are all connected to an Airship/Flying vehicle somehow."

First part is wrong... Crystal Chronicles and Advanced Tactics don't, however oddly enough the film does.

Just for peoples interests:

NES : FF 1-4
SNES : FF 5-6
PSONE : FF 1,2,3(6),Tactics,7,8,9
PS2 : (all playstation versions, but they have bugs!) FF 10, 10-2, 11, 12
PC : 6,7,8,11
GameCube : FF CC
GameBoy : FF Advanced Tactics & Advanced Tactics 2

So you do have a HUGE range of consoles to choose from to play the games.

Quote: "While I haven´t played the games that´s not to say I haven´t watched someone else playing them. I don´t have to play the games to know it´s nothing like it. FF is a classical RPG. You save the world fighting monsters with swords, guns and magic whilst using strange gems to give you some ability. What the hell has that got to do with the movie? The only connection is the thingy theory."

That thingy theory you call it, is actually the ENTIRE point in the Final Fantasy games and where they get thier name from.

And actually, Final Fantasy 7 (VII) didn't have magic in it. Common misconception on alot of peoples parts, but if you actually bother to play it to the end you find out that the Materia are special rocks infused with a form of Radiation that provides the user of it with the ability to manipulate the elements and call forth aliens hidden within. Infact the Final Fantasy : The Spirits Within and Final Fantasy VII titles have alot in common story wise.

Also, Final Fantasy isn't classic RPG, it's Traditional Eastern RPG. Classic RPG would be something like Legend of the Green Dragon.

Quote: "I said the movie is crap because the story was boring or can´t you read? "

No, you said the story was unoriginal. There is a big difference.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Well also it was called Final Fantasy because Square was close to going out of buisness so they thought of that it could possibly be their "final" game, but of course it was a huge hit. And don't forget the Final Fantasy Remake on GBa too. Now when will Square consider the Xbox?

I mean even PC gets FF, it makes me soo mad!

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 12:04
Raven -

very Final Fantasy game (well inside the 1-10 set)

Not crystal chronicles and tactics. READ!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 12:16
lmao! ... wow can't believe i missed your disclaimer before

yeah i forgot the GBA remakes of 1&2 FF Anthology I think it's called or something.

Square-Enix can't make a Final Fantasy for the X-Box. It's in thier contract with Sony, the only reason Chronicles was made is because there was a Clause in the contract.. that's always why it's an Action RPG rather than thier more traditional style.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Stupid contracts... Well I read at IGN there that someone at Square had stated that they would like to develop for Xbox 2, so maybe we'll finally get something *cough*Chrono Trigger*cough*...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 00:22
Yeah, this said.. the entire Rare team would 'like' to have this MMORPG planned for the PC instead of Xenon. It's all upto the publisher unfortunately.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:20:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:20:56