Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The Pink Panther (and other Hollywood insanities)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 08:02
Bad news people.

Some crazy person in Hollywood has decided to remake The Pink Panther. Its now set in America and the heist is set in a baseball game. But much, oh much much worse, Steve Martin has been cast as Inspector Clouseau of the Surete.

The trailer at [href]www.apple.com/trailers[/href] looks absolutely dire.

Why oh why is it that Hollywood executives suddenly feel the urge to remake classic films? They can't better the original, only embarrass the people involved in the remake. Steve Martin could never fill Peter Sellers' shoes.

I'm depressed.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 08:03
Please kill me before that is released...

HATERS

WinXP Pro SP 1, 2.8 GHz Celeron, 512 MB DIMM RAM, 64 MB Radeon IGP 345M, 40 GB HDD
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 08:03
PS:

Chief Inspector Drefus: "What kind of beurmb was it?"

Inspector Clouseau: "The exploding kind!"

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 08:04
This is just like hollywood with their willy wonka remake, WHEN WILL THEY STOP DAMNIT!

Guns arn't the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arn't a problem anymore.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 08:23
There's no room for originality in Hollywood, didn't you know that?

"Why risk a fortune on an original storyline, when we can milk a remake or sequel for a sure amount of millions?"

^^^^^^^ Hollywood exec.

Sad thing is this is also happening in the videogame industry. There's more sequels than originals.

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 08:29
So its finally true...

As I wasn't particularly fond of the orginals, I dont mind.

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
I have no signature.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 08:36
Quote: "As I wasn't particularly fond of the orginals, I dont mind."

ditto.. but I liked the cartoon there's a new series of that comming soon aparently, god knows what channel I saw the ad for it on though.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 08:57 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2005 08:58
I thought the Ocean's Eleven remake was pretty good, despite the original having the popular rat pack, it was pretty much total garbage.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you christmasy answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 09:01
Wasn't the original called the Dirty Dozen? I don't really know cause I've never seen it, I thought OceansEleven was cool though.

It does depend on how the remakes are done really, and what they try to do with them. Most people tend to prefer the one they saw first; The Italian Job wasn't bad either though, I like them both in thier own right.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 09:13
Nope, that was a different movie entirely, released around the same time period though.

The original Ocean's Eleven starred Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin, Peter Lawford, and Joey Bishop. However, although it did have a nice twist ending, the majority of the movie was filled with racial slurs and bad jokes.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 09:31
The original Pink Panther was fantastic, and there's no way they could make one better. But Steve Martin is actually pretty funny, I think, and a much better choise than many other comedians. Nevertheless-- the trailer is indeed dire. They obviously don't understand what made the original so damn funny.

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 10:04
Originality can pay off, look at the Matrix, that movie was pretty original, I mean the story was brilliant.

Guns arn't the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arn't a problem anymore.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah but then it was followed up by two crap sequels... both being released in the same year.

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 12:12
ahh.. Well was watching the trailers: Pink Panther looked pretty funny in Steve Martins usual way.

just out of interest how long has he looked like that; i mean seriously I was watching a saturday night live from the 70s and he looks like identical... the dude is like some unaging clone

checked out some other movies though: Chicken Little looked cool, so did Sin City, seems to be a comic adaptation; but has Jessi Alba so heh gotta see that! Cars also looks pretty cool.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 12:49
Yeah, Sin City looked 'interesting', I don't know if it will pay off though.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 15:22
The shifting color tones of Hellboy made me feel rather queasy, dunno if I could take Sin City in one sitting. Still looked interesting though .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:24:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:24:06