Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Buying an Xbox...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 12:04
Hey guys I was thinking of getting an Xbox and I need some advice. Well since 2001 I've had a GameCube.. and I used to like it but now I'm truly sick of it and never even play. I have sold my Gamecube and now have some money floating around and I was considering buying an Xbox.

Well, what do you all think? I've seen this "holiday bundle", which seems to be a really good deal, the xbox, 2 months of xbox live, topspin tennis, and NCAA 2005 - all for 150 dollars. However, it is sold out everywhere, and there's virtually no hope of getting one. I also heard that Microsoft is coming out with a new "type" of xbox like how PS2 came out with a smaller version - so should I wait on it or what?

Thanks, and happy new year

AMD Athlon XP 3000+, S3 Deltachrome s8, 512 PC3200 RAM, 160 GB HD
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I just say save the money for 300 dollars and buy the Halo 2 pack...

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 12:06
Heh wow quick response.. but 300 dollars? Brand new xbox is 150 or something, how can halo 2 be 300?

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 12:07
get halo 2 or u can just wait for xbox 2 and buy halo 2.5 (which has the ATV(yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!))

NEW WEBSITE ONLINE (best viewed with FireFox)
XboxLive Gamertag: AZP
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 12:08
xbox 2 is 2006 so I dont wanna wait.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 12:08 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2005 12:09
It's a package that comes with Halo 2, Xbox, and Xbox Live Subscription and a bunch of other games, 4 or 5 I think.

Also Xbox 2/Xenon may be Holiday 05

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 12:09
Bleh... don't really wanna spend 300 bucks - would rather get a smaller package. Is there a link where I can see this halo 2 pack? Thanks.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I checked the Gamestop site for it but couldn't find a link, you'd have to go to Gamestop or somewhere to see it.

Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 12:18
Ok thanks

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 12:19
Bah! the X-Box isn't worth buying for atleast another 6months

Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 13:22
Why?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 15:54
if i told you, i'd have to kill you

Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 23:10
Follow these easy steps to aquire your X-Box that is "sold out"

step 1: buy cool sneaky black clothes (tight if possible)
step 2: Wait until night.
step 3: sneak into store (not a 24 hour store)
step 4: sneak into back room, BAM, the back room is made of X Box's
step 5: grab a couple and run.

--From your favorite Cat Overlord
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 01:43 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2005 01:45
Step 6 : Live in a place like Britain where we are so dense we have 60ish million people in a place smaller than most states. ie. go up the road and they will have one. Good old parents live in north wales (lots of sheep) and they decided to buy me one (hadn't a clue what else really). Not a single one in the whole of north wales. So I got one down here. Not too suprising being half an hour away from London though...

Oh, and I just read in a mag that they reckon MS will soft launch the X-Box 2 this month. ie. You should be able to buy it in a few months time. Although I would wait for a while. Still have burn marks from the Jaguar, N64, and PS2. Bah. Will leave PSP too...

Cheers

Ps. Oh, and the best console thing I've seen for ages was the PS2 Eye toy effort. Fair enough had a go in shops and stuff, but the party version takes a picture of your face and puts you in a little romper suit. Tops. Then at the end they all kick the sh**e out of each other. Heh heh. Was much more amusing when I was off my t*ts mind...

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 02:50
Halo 2.5???
wtf mate
You've been spending too much time in the New Mombasa boards.

My advice is to just try and find the cheapest deal. If you can't find even just an Xbox alone by itself for $150 or less you're getting ripped off. I heard Top Spin was good if you were into Tennis games, but not that great. Your ultimate goal is to acquire Halo, Halo 2, Fable, KOTOR/2, and Crimson Skies. The two months free thing with the Holiday bundle is worthless because you get two months free if you purchase Halo 2 or Crimson Skies. Most of the new Xboxes have Live preinstalled, otherwise you pick up the starter kit for $50, you get the software, headset, and a few months subscription.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Why do you say wtf to Halo 2.5? There was a news article that Bungie is in infact making it for Xbox 2, the article was on Team Xbox.

Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 03:07
When is Xbox 2 coming out? Not 2005 I don't think

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, those are the rumors... The end of 05.

Dom
Years of Service
User Offline
MS arnt making a smaller X-Box thats just rumors! Im getting the New Smaller PS2 in a couple of weeks! As soon as amazon have dispatched it. If you haven't played GTA:San Andreas you haven't lived mate
Ive played Halo 2 though its not that much different from the original. The developers pushed the X-Box to far me thinks. Theres so much Pop-Up and graphical glitches that really spoil it. 'Specially when your in a banshee!

DRAGONFIRE STUDIOS
Lead Programmer
(The Studio being my front room)
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes that is mentioned in the article about Halo 2.5 at Team Xbox, 2.5 will be much better and will take full use of Xbox 2's abilities.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
This information isnt confimed besides it wont be called halo 2.5 cause thats gay it will likely be the finishing part of the halo series NOT an upgrade to halo 2. Thats if its true however just cause someone posted something on xbox team doesnt mean its true mate.

[href]www.vapourhost.com/~flyer[/href]
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 06:41 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2005 06:44
Funny, I don't get any glitches on my X Box while playing Halo 2.

The only time I lag online is when the host's connection is bad...

And just because Sage Tech Administrator says he's made an MMORPG doesn't mean he has!

Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 07:13 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2005 07:15
Actually, xbox 2 is coming out in 2005(as oposed to the comment mentioned above).. There will be 3 different versions. Xbox 2, Xbox 2 HD, and Xbox 2 PC..

Differences are..

Xbox 2 comes out in fall(or was it autumn) 2005, same with the Xbox 2 HD..

Xbox 2 has no hard drive, where the xbox 2 HD does.. only difference.

Xbox 2 pc will come out in fall(or was it autumn) 2006, and will be near a full version of a pc.. It included a cd burner, hard drive, operating system etc.

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 08:59
Umm thanks for the info guys but none of you really answered my question.. should I buy one now or wait? Thanks .

Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 09:02
Depends on your cash flow.. I'm not sure(if i hadnt boughten my xbox when it came out) whether i'd buy one now, because i'd probably be saving up for the one that's coming out this year.

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.1Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 09:10
I'm hearing alot of crap about the Xenon here..

Bill Gates is set to announce the Xenon, and show of the current model during his speach at CES 5th January 2005.
It will be showcasing the new Microsoft Xenon mascot, who is a familiar face for alot of people and it's flagship and release title is going to be using that character.

Unfortunately I am bound by NDAs on the subject at hand.
But for those who know what I work and what I've been doing for the past year, all I'm going to say is:

'Finally Barn 3 is opening it's doors to the public, and the project that does not officially exist will be showing of the meaning of Next Generation.'

The Xenon is due for release before the end of the 2005 Fiscal Year, currently it is penciled in for January 2006. I wouldn't recommened holding your breath to that.

It will get full expo at E3 later this year in LA. With a much bigger line up of games.
I would be right in hinting at just what the game has in-store, and comparing it to Half-Life 3, which will also be a launch title.

I'm not sure what will be actually shown in terms of footage at CES, if it will just be a taster or the few blown technology preview. All I can say for sure, is something Rare is about to be shown...

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 09:23

Sounds fishy.

Sony stole our name!
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 09:31 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2005 09:32
Buy the current X Box, unless you have an extra $300 for the new one coming out sometimes at end of this year.. or whatever...

('Least I'll guess it's $300 for the new one, maybe 150... no clue, I'm just comparing it to the X Box's release price)

Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 09:40
Well I have about 225 dollars to spend, and I dunno if I want to wait. So most likely I will buy used. Any advice - a good price, ebay tips, etc?

Thanks

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 09:46
well you didn't like my suggestion of waiting 6months

JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 09:55
Quote: "All I can say for sure, is something Rare is about to be shown"

'Bout time I get to play Perfect Dark again.

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 09:57
lol

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 10:02
Buy back your Gamecube and get Metroid Prime 2

"And C++ has 2 version Microsoft visual C++ and Bordland C++."
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Patience is the key...
I say wait... you may not like it but it will be worth it.

And plus you'll see some good games for your gamecube coming soon, I've played RE4 at Gamestop and it's an incredible game. Adn then there is Viewtiful Joe 2...

Can't forget Alien Hominid.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 10:10

I found Viewitful Joe 2 under my Christmas tree. That game is fantastic.

Sony stole our name!
Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 10:46 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2005 10:47
Supposed to be a game that is being made for the xbox 2 to for the past 15 months already.

http://www.wardevil.com/

Like most people said already, you might want to wait a couple of months at least as there is talk of xbox being slashed to $99 this spring. But if you do decide to get one now there are a lot of games in the $20 area to pick from, i just got 5 games from target last week for $115 max payne 2, RTCW, spiderman 2, medal of honor frontline, the suffering damn good games for that price.
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 11:19
Hmmm that's what I was thinking as well, after the holiday rush there's going to be some used ones (people got PS2 and are now selling the Xbox).

I also did hear about them slashing xbox prices after all PS2 and Gamecube are cheaper. How much is xbox new?

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 18:18
Personaly I wouldn´t recommend getting a Xbox second hand. My Xbox from 2 or so years ago is giving me real problems reading discs. Ninja Gaiden and PGR2 just don´t run on the system. I´ve actually had to chip the thing so I can play them!
I would have kept the GC as that´s got some real corkers comming up. The best thing would be to save up for the Xbox Next,Xenon,Xbox 2,whatever and play pc games untill then.

The perfect xmas present.
Libera tu mente y te liberaras.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I've had my Xbox since day 1 and it works perfectly.
The Ps2 is the same price as the Xbox. I think you should do some research to figure out wether or not you should buy it or wait for something else. Yes Gamecube is cheaper...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 00:48
Aparently my X-Box is still working fine, which was bought on release. Seeing as I'm an entire ocean away from it, can't exactly confirm this.. and honestly I'm not in any rush to get a new one.

Most of the games I can get for the X-Box are out on the PC as well, there is only a very small collection that isn't (or isn't planned to be) on the PC. So usually I waited instead of getting it with a £10-20 markup the X-Box games appear to get.

I do have one at work though, that I use from time to time. We've recently had to buy a new PS2 (got the slim one) mainly because the old one has stopped reading DVDs, which was a pain in the arse.
Seems like alot of people upgraded as well, which makes me wonder if there was a major series of similar faults as I've been hearing alot about many peoples PS2 just refusing to play games now.

It is extremely strange it is still capable of using CDs though.
Most used console in this house by far is the GameCube, it's also the one we have the most games for... after Christmas the total is now 83games

Bigger and better stuff on the horizon means my budgets probably gonna be stretched again heh

As for WarDevil, taking a look at the stuff now. To be honest I've not actually heard alot of news about what the other companies are doing or seen any real technology demos other than Halo 3 and Unreal 3.. neither of them were running particularly fast.
It is a shame that the R520 isn't as fast as the NV42 at Shader Model 3.0, it does defeat alot of the point in using it in some cases; but this said there are still some things it is capable of over the X-Series. Though again a pitty they haven't redesigned the Core as you find the same old Radeon bugs creeping in.

Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 03:57 Edited at: 4th Jan 2005 03:58
Raven, my ps2 had the same problem.. the dvd playing ability quit, and it started making noises when trying to read it.. funnily enough, most the games still work perfectly.

Apparently it is a fault with the older machines(someone at Ebgames said to me).. i asked about sending it in to get it repaired, but my warranty for it was too old.. he said i'd end up paying as much to fix it as buying a new one.

i ended up buying a new ps2 slim edition and it seems to work great.. very silent, and reads everything nice and quickly.. I can only assume they fixed the dvd rom problem.

Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 05:13
Quote: "And plus you'll see some good games for your gamecube coming soon, I've played RE4 at Gamestop and it's an incredible game. Adn then there is Viewtiful Joe 2...
"

Quote: "I would have kept the GC as that´s got some real corkers comming up"

I've noticed nobody has mentioned the new Zelda.

In response to your first question, You should probably get an Xbox now if you really want one. I think IGN said that there already some titles for Xbox 2/next/Xenon/whatever-the-heck-Microsoft-is-calling-it-now, and I think the regular Xbox 2/look above won't be compatible with Xbox one games because it hasn't got a hardrive. The version with the hardrive will probably be more expensive.
Whose idea was releasing three different versions of the same console anyway? Seems kinda stupid to me.

What's this bar here for? Ohhhh.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 08:33
Quote: "i ended up buying a new ps2 slim edition and it seems to work great.. very silent, and reads everything nice and quickly.. I can only assume they fixed the dvd rom problem."

yeah, our new one should arrive from game by Thrusday/Friday aparently. only time will tell if it'll fixx the problem, but yeah this really is another chalk up to 'poor hardware'
i mean within like a few weeks of getting the console i remember was playing something that use the LR buttons alot, ended up breaking my R2
the same game though using my PSOne controller is still played without any damage done to it.. alot of the PS2 just felt 'low-quality', not something you want when your paying £399 for it!

Quote: "In response to your first question, You should probably get an Xbox now if you really want one. I think IGN said that there already some titles for Xbox 2/next/Xenon/whatever-the-heck-Microsoft-is-calling-it-now, and I think the regular Xbox 2/look above won't be compatible with Xbox one games because it hasn't got a hardrive. The version with the hardrive will probably be more expensive.
Whose idea was releasing three different versions of the same console anyway? Seems kinda stupid to me."

Each version is cheaper, and expandable.
Basic Xenon ~$200 (20GB HDD)
Game Xenon (with Pre-Loaded Halo 2.5) ~$300 (80GB HDD / Broadband Modem / Live! Kit & Subscription)
Media Center Xenon ~$400 ( Keyboard / Mouse / 120GB HDD / Extra 256MB Ram / DVI-VGA outputs / Broadband Modem / HDD-Drive include DVD-RW Abilities / Windows XP Media Center 2005 Edition )

You can always upgrade each one in a similar fashion to how the N64 upgraded itself. Snap-out given areas, and swap/insert components.
Effectively a way of upgrading the system with what you feel you need, rather than being stuck with a single design.
The Processors have TCPA, as to prevent piracy; and GameDiscs are masked from being viewed when inserted.
That is all provided i'm remembering correctly what I was told.

They'll all have 'Triad' 2.2GHz PowerPC Processor, and R520 Video Processor. As well as a combined 256MB that runs via a PCI-Express bus, so along with ATi's HyperMemory or whatever the heck they called it in the end, provides alot more power for less actual Ram.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought the basic Xenon would be hard-drive less...

Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 08:48
Quote: "won't be compatible with Xbox one games because it hasn't got a hardrive"

That's not quite the reason i've heard for the incompatablity reason i've heard that the two won't be compatable is ms is going to use ati in there xbox 2, xbox was nvidia and some contracts with xbox are still in effect with nvidia since xbox software is still being produced.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
That is the reason.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 12:50
I think actually the bigger problem is less the graphics hardware and more the fact that the Xenon runs on pure .NET code.
Given the X-Box runs on x86 Win32 Code... it might cause a bit of a problem given the Xenon has a Custom IBM PowerPC Processor, not x86.

That would be the reason that springs to my mind about this.. but I s'pose I could be wrong.

Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 16:23
@Anime-blood.. the basic xenon IS hard-driveless

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 19:35
Ditto on that PS2 DVD prob, just had to junk my sons PS2 and get him a new one. Poor guy got San Andreas for xmas and only got to play it yesterday - damn quality game that would be my only reason to buy a PS2, but I can wait a few months on the xbox version.

Frankly, I'm a little peeved at M$ attitude to the Xenon. They can't just say - 'this is your standard console', it's got to be more complicated, there should be different versions for different things. Might be news to Gatesy but people like consoles because they leave all those PC-style issues behind - your console is as good as the games you have for it, not the HD size. I think the Xenon is aimed at being an all-round box for surfing, playing music, watching DVD's and playing games - that's probably the plan and it sounds cool - but it all comes down to much more than the machines capabilities (e.g. M$ stupid exclusion of a HD in the basic Xenon - causing many many headaches for game developers).

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 20:37 Edited at: 4th Jan 2005 20:37
I had a dream I bought an XBox and when I turned it on all it did was emulate a SNES and it had like 500 ROMS on it

I worry myself

:: 1.8 gHZ AMD Duron :: 256 MB Ram :: 32 MB SiS Graphics ::

:: Current Project: Sea Bound ::

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:28:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:28:59