Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Pirates! < Your views please

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 03:49
Back in the days of yore, I used to really enjoy Sid Meier's "Pirates!" on the Amiga.

He's just released a modern version of the same game. See: http://uk.gamesdomain.yahoo.com/pc/sid_meiers_pirates_live_the_life/review/54484. GD's review and PC Zone's review are both positive.

I was wondering whether there is anyone here who played the original and has also played this new version? If so, can you post your thoughts on whether the new version is good fun and worth buying.

Cheers

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 03:59
I have.. the new version is very very true to the original, to be perfectly honest it is a little to true to it.

While you have aspects like actually running around the streets, when your trying to take them over or sneaking around breaking curfew or such.. the actual enhancements are very few and far between past the new 3Dness of it all.

If your a fan of the original, it is definately worth while getting it.. but still I was disappointed that it wasn't really evolved just a slightly enhanced version.

JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 04:19
MikeS and I had a bit of a convo about it in this thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=45268&b=2

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 04:34
@raven: when people remake a game, to be built on more modern technology (ie, 3D etc), i think that they should be EXACTLY the same except the changes to graphics, sound, etc. gameplay should be the same, so if what you said is true, then it is awesome that they did that.

[center]
I like cheese
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 04:37
Some people on the PC Format forum found it rather boring...

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
I have no signature.
JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 05:00
Because it is rather boring.

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 05:36
Me and Jebus summed it up well imo. Good game, but it'll start getting to you by the time you beat it. The way the storyline is moved is a bit sluggish as well, but at the same time you're free to do whatever you want.

Glad I played it, but don't know if it's one I'll keep coming back to.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 06:46
Because it didn't evolve for the new engine.

I'm not against an official remake of a game, however really I was expecting it to be more than the original. I mean 10years ago when I played the original, the game was quite original and fun.
Now however games have evolved and developed beyond just being updated graphics.

Wolfenstein3D if remade with the Doom3 Engine, couldn't hold a candle to Doom3 and would probably loose some of the nostalgia that the original has.
Remakes are great, however you have to provide something that would make the transition and update worth while. For example the Wolfenstein3D Episodes could be compacted into single levels, and integrated more effectively to provide more atmosphere and adapt to the new things we have available.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 06:48
From what I saw of it, I had expected a lot more. Haven't played it, but the graphics look rather simplistic

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
I have no signature.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 09:54
Quote: "Oh man I don't even have an opinion"

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 09:58
I haven't played it but I love his Civ games (I own Civ II and Civ III + the two expansion packs)

Hi
Jonny Ree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 18:29
its getting harder and harder to play the original Pirates! or Pirates!:GOLD. My Amiga has taken a dive, and its hard to get it working for PC with the proper speed etc. even with a prosessor emulator.

I've spendt far too much time on the new pirates! game.. it is really the same, but I wouldnt want it any other way. I see quite a few improvements to the gameplay.. not changed in much way.. its just working better.. and there are indeed a few elements added to it. like the new town attack system.

I actually think this is a game for everyone to enjoy.. not just the past fans of the game.. but also new gamers.. it would be a great contrats to blowing the head of your friends in any of thouse lame shoot'em ups.. few in that genre has made any effort to improve on previous versions that for sure.

Anyway, I would recommend it to everyone.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 18:55
I loved the original, in fact my whole family did - I had it on the ST. You should try STeem instead of an amiga emulator, ST's are a lot simpler to emulate, so it should run perfectly in that.

I think there is a huge gap in the market for a game like Pirates, but I don't think the new version live up to anyones expectations. I'd love to see propper ship battles and sword fighting, in real 3D though, maybe a bit like battlefield 1942, where you can board enemy ships or take over a canon - but with the strategic elements alongside it.

Personally, I think old Sid has cottoned onto the popularity of RTS games with kids, and is directing his games towards them now. I would'nt be surprised if we see pirates add ons, like Pirates:Hit the town, or Pirates:Virtual Beauty Salon.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Jonny Ree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 22:16
Quote: "I'd love to see propper ship battles and sword fighting, in real 3D though, maybe a bit like battlefield 1942, where you can board enemy ships or take over a canon - but with the strategic elements alongside it."

I think what Sid is trying to do here is step away from the path gamemaking is heading these days. Making games fun to play, rather then making it realistic. Cause how in a realistic game could I go and attack every spanish city replacing the govenor with a dutch one just for the fun of it.

I think a pirate (battlefield-ish) game would be a good idea, and I would probably have great fun with that as well.

Quote: "Personally, I think old Sid has cottoned onto the popularity of RTS games with kids, and is directing his games towards them now. I would'nt be surprised if we see pirates add ons, like Pirates:Hit the town, or Pirates:Virtual Beauty Salon."

I would also like to say the same here.. He's making them fun to play for everyone.. and its not like he has ever created games for any group.. he has probably made games simply bacause thouse are the game he likes making and probably playing as well. its not like his game has changed much over the trail of time.. other then the graphics.

As for expansions.. I dont really see any of them coming.. sure enough Civ did have a few of thouse.. but that was more under his name as a brand, and not as the person. The titles you've suggested though sound more like "The Sims" titles.. (which is not a Sid Meier game, for thouse who has disagreed with me on this in the past)

These are just my opinions.. and I dont know any more about Sid then most of you guys.. so no one is required to agree with me.
Just had to widen my perspective on things.

I'm sorry about quoting you so much Van B. I hate doing that really.. it sounds like I disagree about everything.. or just attacking you.. I want you to know thats not the case though. I do agree with partly of the things you said, and i respect your opinion.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 23:41
No worries Johnny, I disagree with a lot that I write as well .

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 23:46
Quote: "I think a pirate (battlefield-ish) game would be a good idea, and I would probably have great fun with that as well.
"

there is a pirate mod for battlefield 1942, supposed to be pretty neato fun too.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 23:59
More tactical/RPGish pirate games are Sea Dogs and its psuedo-sequel Pirates of the Carribean, those who didn't like Pirates might want to try them .

Jonny Ree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 00:05
Yeah, Sea Dogs are indeed a great game. Pirates of the Carribean was good too.. but it had some bug issues, and therefor you often got stuck inside missions etc that became invalid cause of some events. etc. if one saves a lot though, its great
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 01:04
Quote: "I think a pirate (battlefield-ish) game would be a good idea, and I would probably have great fun with that as well."

Battlefield 1782 isn't it?

As for the other Pirate games, can't say i've ever liked them.. it is quite rare for me to take back games i've bought unless i truely think they were not worth the money.

Pirates of the Carribean was unfortunately one such title.
While I can understand what Firaxis were trying to do with Pirates! to be honest I don't agree that giving the game more depth means making it more realistic.

They could've quite easily added some elements from the other SM greats, so say... added a more active trading element to the game.
Perhaps allows towns you've overrun for your chosen people to research new technology, like better cannons and faster sails to add to your personal fleet.

Made treasure hunting a mini-game of it's own, where you have a mini-Tomb Raider adventure to get around booby traps in order to reach the treasure.

I mean don't get me wrong I love the game, but I was a little disappointed that really, it is the same game as what I played oh-so-long-ago. When they could've really extended the gameplay and the interaction elements. Perhaps mini-quests and missions just like Elite has, I mean that's what I always saw Pirates as anyway. A sea fairing version of Elite.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 01:08
Quote: "I think a pirate (battlefield-ish) game would be a good idea, and I would probably have great fun with that as well"

have you ever looked into Koei Games' "Uncharted Waters"? It's fantastic I dunno about the latest versions though, they're in japanese

But the classic ones avaialable on the sega, snes and pc are nice

Yarr join LoGD and defeat your fellow coders!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 01:12
Quote: "but I was a little disappointed that really, it is the same game as what I played oh-so-long-ago. "

i havent played the game so i don't particularly know what sgoin on, But for one thing, they may have believed that changing it may have annoyed the fans of the original. it's always a problem with a remake, thats people will either go "I hate it cause they have changed it from the original" or "I hate it cause its the same game." Resident Evil 1, on the game cube, is a totally awesome remake from the original on the ps1, but so many people said "why would i buy it, its the same game that i already clocked." so nintendo added new features, but i mean crap that is an awesome classic, why not get it with better graphics. Anyway there is always a problem with a remake with some part of the user crowd, except for syndicate remastered, that is always awesome

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 01:22
Heh, yeah I know.
Resident Evil is a sweet example though of how to stay true to the original game, while improving it not just graphically but adding gameplay.

Tell ya what though, the remake so far has caused me alot of trouble to complete. Just to hard for me, I'm not grand with the games generally playing on easy for alot of enjoyment to see the story without dying constantly. What got me were a bunch of fans sitting there and actually claiming the game was 'too easy'.. I mean fgs it takes a Clip or more to take down just one Zombie with almost no ammo throughout the entire game, and if you don't make sure to burn thier asses they come back as 'crazed' zombies that are faster and harder to kill before they bite you.
Two bites and generally your dead, while I can't see any flaws in the game as a remake... i can see flaws in people claming it was too easy. If it was really 'that' easy, there is no way Resident Evil Zero would've been put back to the standard '3 bullets kill on easy'

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 21:31
I'm probably gonna get a gamecube soon - I loved the resident evil games, and MonkeyBall rocks - so that alone makes it worthwhile considering how cheap they are. Some of the second hand pricing on GC stuff is insane - hell I saw a steering wheel and pedal set for £5 last year - and the games are always dirt cheap.

Van-B

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 23:44
Quote: "and the games are always dirt cheap."

Where? No seriously the main problem with the GC for me is getting games cheaply for it. I think the biggest reduction I´ve seen in Spain from the recommended retail price is 57.50€ instead 60€. The prices here are a joke. People are asking 45€ for thier games on ebay!

The perfect xmas present.
Libera tu mente y te liberaras.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 23:45
omg blue eyed ghosts are driving a car!!!!! are they the ones from spirited away?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 00:21
My local Game has tons of GC games, usually about £5 or £10 - I think the GC is not too popular round these parts (Scotland), all the kids have X-Boxes and PS2's so things like that are fairly common - it was the same with the Dreamcast, at one point I was buying 5 DC games a week, paying <£5 for them!.

That's something I've never understood - how anyone can spend £40 on a game then sell it for a few bucks, I've never sold a game in my life - probably why I need so much storage space!.

I still have my very first joystick, and it still works after 20 years! (well it will when I replace the cable - it's microswitches must have been cryogenically frozen when not in use). It's known as 'The Arcade' and they're pretty rare now - but if there was ever a joystick that deserved to be protected it's that.

Van-B

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 04:30 Edited at: 5th Jan 2005 04:32
@VanB

The Arcade joystick eh? A joystick that looked exactly like the joystick you found on arcade machines? Came in a nice yellow box?

Yep, I own two of 'em. I bought the first one for my Acorn Electron. Then I bought a second for the Amiga for those great two player games.

The Arcade was without doubt one of the sturdiest and reliable joysticks ever built. A true classic. Both of mine survived horrible abuse - the Daley Thompson games destroyed every other joystick I ever owned.

Philip

PS: I found a picture of one: http://www.clive.nl/detail/24225/

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 05:39
That reminds me. I got a joystick for xmas but I´m not sure what to do with it. What do you guys recommend? I don´t suppose it will be much use for Max Payne 2.
Quote: " My local Game has tons of GC games, usually about £5 or £10"

Damn you!!
I´ve seen lots of Dreamcast games for virtually nothing. Though I´ve got all the ones I want. It´s great going into a shop and buying so many class games at once.

The perfect xmas present.
Libera tu mente y te liberaras.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 05:43
Argh yar har!!!

I am a George Foreman hair crimper

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:30:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:30:46