Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Seeing code.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 11:35
After about a year of DB use, I am starting to get some unexpected results, I have studying the smallest details of any game, trying to convert what I see on my screen into DB code, I guesse you could say, I see code! I noticed this one day while playing GTA san andreas, I began to contemplate how everything would be done if I was coding it, when my character would get fat I would think "hmm, I could do this by setting a variable to player fatness, then scaling the player by that number, hmmm". I was recently playing Half life 2, and at near every scene, I began tinkering away in my head, how I would create that scene, I would study the slightest object, and see all the details, trying to see just how high poly it was, or I would study the textures. This happens in nearly every game now, I am constantly destracted by all the little details that I lose the whole experience. Anybody els do this?

Guns arn't the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arn't a problem anymore.
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 11:45
It's just your l337 horm0nez. Soon enough it becomes second nature to you, so you don't notice you're analyzing it but you've already figured it out in your head.

I spelled "disappointment" wrong. Pahintulutan ang di-inaasahang nakakahiyang pagkakamaling dulot ng kamangmangan. Have at you.
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 11:49
Just about everyone here should be like that

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 12:01
Yeah, gotta agree with arkheii, give it a bit and you won't notice it at all, and then when you sit down to program after a long gaming session, you'll realize a whole new tricks or things that you learned from your observations.

Proof video games are educational

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz | 512 MB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB
MSVC++ .Net 2003 | Wings3D | CharacterFX | Gimp v2.0
Prayne de crabug ahm rinedere be-yogt iglo kes gron
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 12:44
Thats what I have been saying all along, but my parents don't believe me.

Guns arn't the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arn't a problem anymore.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 12:46
I end up doing that constantly... it does actually get really annoying when your trying to enjoy a game and something catches your interest; then can't finish that section of the game without jotting something down or such to allow you to remember what it is.

End up with save games are specific points of a section of a game that particularly is interesting.. or your trying to figure out just how the hell they created a visual effect and you end up dropping other things your working on to figure it out.

Tis a blessing and a curse my friend.

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 13:31
Or you know exactly how to create it, just can't

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Ya most people here do it by nature

[href]www.vapourhost.com/~flyer[/href]
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 16:44
It's the same with film school students--- they probably can't sit through an entire film without saying to themselves "ah-hah, I know how that was done." *smug*

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 17:32
hah yeah i get that sometimes, liek im with mates and they go omg that car just jumped over a bridge how sick is that, and im like christ it's a scripted sequence, one that even I could code it's nothin special. and then they rave about the weather feature in a game, and how revolutionary the game is because of it, and i just laugh when i see its just an animated rain box around a player. I hav eactually stopped playing many games now because they arent funning me anymore (cept metroid echoes )

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
When I play a game, I just look around and say:

Their skybox is showing
The UV on the model is scaled too much
Oh oh, this thing here shouldn't be culled
I bet I can use Newton Physics for this
etc...
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 22:29
In Devil May Cry 2 the camera gets stuck behind loads of stuff in levels 'cuz it doesn't stay behind the player - so the camera just jumps through buildings :s

(Camera is done well in Super Mario Sunshine for the GC - If the camera's stuck behind a tree or something, you just see a kind of silhouette of Mario :p)

2005 - Year of cartoony red cubes (look! black outline!), for me at least.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 23:09
I notice stuff, like the polys of an object, shader effects, reflections, particle effects etc. But I don't let it detract from the overall fun of playing a game . It's easy for me to just forget about everything beneath the games surface.

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 01:32
I was paying Counter strike source, and in the new map De_prodigy, there are some vents, with fans in them, well those fans cast light down into the vents, but as the blads move, the light moves, I studied that for a while and realized they just stuck a ghosted plain on every fan blade, when the blades move the light moves, clever.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 06:23
It's fun once you've completed a game's campaign and exhausted its multiplayer to just go and dissect it. I find it quite interesting how every projectile (not nades) in Halo 1 and Halo 2 comes out of the player's forehead. And isn't it awkward that when it looks like somebody is pointing their gun at your face they're actually pointing above you?

Makes you wonder where the camera is actually positioned and what the fov is.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 09:00
I get this not only in games but in music too. I can tell all the parts apart and what insturements and whatever.

Hi
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 09:24
The same applies to many, many things. Including magic shows, as this true story proves:
A magician on a cruise ship pulls out a rabbit from his hat and the audience applauds. Then suddenly the captain's parrot screams out, "The hat has a false bottom!". The magician then does another trick, just to be exposed again by the bird. This goes on every night, for 3 nights. On the third night, the ship hits an ice berg and sinks. The parrot and the magician get stranded on the same plank of wood, and after days of staring at each other, the parrot says, "Ok, I give up. Where'd you hide the ship?"

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 10:36
programming has taken all the fun out of games. ever since i really got into programming, i havnt liked games nearly as much

[center]
I like cheese
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 10:39
I like games more, because I play them less. It's also a target to hone my programming skills more

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 11:00
hehe funny tkfish

Dodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 19:38
although what really annoys me is when I find a glitch in a game and imagine how it could have been fixed..

Part of solving the problem is actually noticing that the problem is there in the first place

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 19:44
I stopped playing other peoples games cos mine are teh bestest. I don't need to think about how they did it, cos i alrady know.

New Years Comp! Get Started!

http://www.dbspot.com/NYC
New years competition... Fo Shizzle.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 20:20
man , optical herpes is the worst

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
Meh, I used to do that to Windows

:: 1.8 gHZ AMD Duron :: 256 MB Ram :: 32 MB SiS Graphics ::

:: Current Project: Sea Bound ::
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I was paying Counter strike source, and in the new map De_prodigy, there are some vents, with fans in them, well those fans cast light down into the vents, but as the blads move, the light moves, I studied that for a while and realized they just stuck a ghosted plain on every fan blade, when the blades move the light moves, clever."

Too bad that's not how they do it Search for dynamic lighting. It's like lightmaps just harder And it's much better than using the dx lights.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 00:20
Seeing code, yeah for the bulk of my life.. But thankfully after retiring for a few years, That mostly went away.. Now i can play a game and not think once about how it's done and just enjoy it for what it is..

The same applies to music, there was a point where i was so focused I couldn't just kick back and enjoy listening to a band anymore, as i'd be constantly dissecting it. But Eventuality you don't care... but prolly just the beer talking..

Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Play Nice! Play Basic - Next Generation Basic (Release V1.05 Out Now)
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 01:32
Just go to the Oracle. She will tell you what to do. Or crash out badly because you forgot to set the bloody date format correctly....

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 01:41
Quote: "I find it quite interesting how every projectile (not nades) in Halo 1 and Halo 2 comes out of the player's forehead"

Yeah, I noticed that too. The reason (as far as I can tell) is to fix the problem of pointing the weapons at where you are aiming. If the projectiles all come out of the centre of the screen, then anything on the crosshair will be in the line of fire. You can just use something like pick object to find where you are aiming at, but this way the weapons will jutter and sway erratically if you suddenly aim at close up objects, then far away, then close up, if you get what I mean .

Quote: "programming has taken all the fun out of games. ever since i really got into programming, i havnt liked games nearly as much "

Phhh! All you losers think too much, start not using your brains! Sure I'm not as wowed by the graphics of new games as I was a while ago, but that's because there isn't as much of a radical change as there was with things like the Dreamcast and PS2 (I'm a console guy myself). I still enjoy playing games, although often I do prefer to make them.

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 01:48
Quote: "but that's because there isn't as much of a radical change as there was with things like the Dreamcast and PS2"

Yeah, from the Dreamcast to PS2 there was a really radical change. Nobody was expecting a downgrade when buying a PS2. The radical change is not in the hardware itself, but in the way newer hardware (PS2) can't keep up with the older stuff (DC). It's not supposed to be that way...

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 06:00
Quote: "Too bad that's not how they do it Search for dynamic lighting. It's like lightmaps just harder And it's much better than using the dx lights."

Are you sure, because it looks alot like a textured plain, I may be wrong.

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
wow raven that's real bad, makin saves at random points of interest, i thought i had a bad problem with it.

i guess this "seeing code" syndrome isnt actually abad thing. you can actually appreciate games for what they are, so when you play half life 2 you think "nice physics" or "nice water shaders" while your next door neighbour who's watching you play says "wow... this games kinda cool, i like the way the dudes on the monitors everywhere"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:27:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:27:09