Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Next gen consoles

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 05:26
So there's been lots of talk on the forums today about Xbox 2, a little (like oneperson mentioning it on a post) on the revolution (Nintendo's next console), I've read nothing on the PS3, and there's also lots of chatter about the DS and PSP. Mostly, these conversations stray from the original questions asked in the first post. So I thought, after reading this article;
http://n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=348

That we should just make a thread dedicated to conversations on what will happen in 2005/6 relating to the next batch of consoles. Questions, comments, death threats when debates get ugly are all welcomed (well, maybe not all of those criteria. I'll kick this thread off with a question regarding Revolution.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said that Revolution will be backwards compatible with GCN games, but I've also read that the Revolution controller will not have A and B buttons or a D-pad. Now I'm confused about what and/or who to believe, Nintendo's president, or a publication who has been correctly printing the news for years, or if somehow both of them can be true? Does anyone have any info regarding this?

What's this bar here for? Ohhhh.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 05:34
I suspect at least one new machine will be out later this year (possibly the XBox2).

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
I have no signature.
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 05:36
I am really intrested to see what is so revolutionary about the Revoloution. While I'm sure that the PS3 (which I am most likely to buy) and the Xbox2 will be very powerful console hardware wise the idea of something new and different does appeal to me. However, on another level, I do wonder as to what can be different, surely anything that is going to be in the next gen consoles will already be avaliable to the PC?

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 05:38
The Xbox 2 had BETTER be backwards compatible. I know that those machines wear out, and I want to be able to play Halo 2 when my old Xbox croaks.

And why in the 9 hells did Nintendo ditch the D-PAD? That was singly one of the greatest inventions they had ever.... invented. I hate how the PS2 has 4 seperate buttons to control digital movement.

Go D-PAD!

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 05:39
Analouge sticks are far better than any D-Pad once you get used to them. I can't think of playing any FPS without them now.

I own PS2 btw.

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 05:42
Yes, analog sticks are even better than digital pads for most games--- but some games I still prefer to use a D-Pad...

Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 05:44
@Squidgy the Brick

Bill Gates is rumored to be making an announcement about Xbox 2 during his speech on the 5th at CES. It'll probably be televised on G4techTV (mostlikely on the Screen Savers).

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 05:50
cool

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
I have no signature.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 06:15
That article was interesting. I could smell some bias towards some particular games/developers, but for the most part their suggestion that Nintendo should win the next generation console war because of its plan on innovating is wonderful perception.

I imagine that Sony and Microsoft have one last generation left in them if they continue their strategy of spec-beefing. I'll be sure to go and grab all the consoles this time around in preparation for Nintendo's take over.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 08:16
The CES announcements are always Microsoft's biggest of the year conserning the 'Bill Gates Speech', and as such is actually live Webcast. Provided you have a relatively decent Broadband connection (250Kb+) you can view it quite nicely.

I tend to watch most of the .NETShow through the webcast, Microsoft have really been improving thier broadband visual channels

Personally, I think the N-Sider article writer is.. well, bringing on my allergies.
Seriously he is one of hell of a cynical guy that honestly, I think has either never played or just tried given games for a second.

Quote: "It has done a fantastic job giving Mario-platformer-aficionados their Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid-adventure-fanatics their Metroid Prime...but what it hasn't done, is given Halo first-person shooter lovers their Halo or Grand Theft Auto free-roaming admirers their Grand Theft Auto 3."

Mario Sunshine while similar to Mario64 in movement, the way you play the game really was extended by FLUDD. There is no denying it was the same game by with different rules (and a sodding storyline for once!).. So it seems like a safe bet, bet then the first game they released was Luigi's Mansion; similar style of game, it was quite fun. Further more it was being called a safe-bet but they released Paper Mario 2 recently, the original flopped (so horribly ) on the N64. But that game being in the Top 10 All Charts at EB currently sort of dismisses the whole idea that original games have no place in Nintendo's world.

I mean for gods sake thier release title was Pikmin! which is possibly one of the most unique games I've played in bloody years, so popular it warrented a sequal. If those actions weren't enough to think 'well hang on maybe they're not sticking to the traditional tied games'...

Metroid Prime, is an FPS. I'm not sure how much I can stress this, but who here has played Metroid on any of the other Nintendo machines. How many of the others were FPS?
If you answered Zero you'd of been correctn. Because Samus was a platformer, and a very damn traditional one... so to change the entire genre of the game really it was one hell of a bold move.

It would've been like taking Lara Croft and making her an RPG character. Only if you do it properly will the fans like it, as such the face the game reached a far bigger audience than ever.

The Nintendo GameCube might be missing out to Halo, and GTA. Thing is though, the machine has a good abundance of games of those styles.. Reason people are going to the X-Box and PS2 consoles to get the version of those types of games on those systems is purely because the GameCube has been marred with the brush of being aimed at kids.

Yeah, for kids.. with exclusive rights to the Resident Evil games that are both rated 18, with Killer7 which is rate 18, these are EXCLUSIVE games. You don't provide 3yos with games of peoples heads decomposing... or oozing something across the floor... or the portait of a serial killer. You don't take a game that really appeals to mostly adults (Metal Gear Solid), and not only add in cut-scenes only adults would sit through, but also add in more violence, swearing, and bigger (and better showing) tits on Sniper Wolf.

The GameCube has the games, the case isn't if it has them... the case is simply that people want to be cool. The GameCube isn't considered a 'cool' machine, and it's as simple as that.
Paying out 4x the amount for the console, that takes up 6x the space, you can hear it from the next room over ticking over, has problems reading the game discs after too much user, controls break easily (and built for giant handed people), as well as games being 1.5x the price... just to be Cool, you can kiss my ass and sign me up a lifetime uncool membership.

I have 84-games (bought a new one today) for my GameCube, and I love playing each of them. I have 25 for my X-Box, and each of them I got bored of within a few days of purchase.

Sacrifing being cool for having fun with my games as well as being able to get mates over for huge gaming sessions of 4 players on insane games like Mario Party or Super Smash Bros Melee.. Kinda beats Halo or Ghost Reacon online, as totally beats walking around getting lost and bored in GTA3 for bloody hours.

San Andreas, your player gets fat if you don't exercise him... Oh wow I'm so impressed. Why the hell do I want to play a game that forces me to execise my character doing mindless running, I find that f**king boring in real-life.. why the hell do I want to do that in a virtual world?!!

Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 07:20 Edited at: 5th Jan 2005 07:23
Okay, I have a few things to say:
@Bear Crazy Donut Productions:
Yeah, I could, too. I think the Eye Toy is moving us closer to a virtual reality, and it wasn't entirely Rare's or Silicon Knights' or Left Field's fault that they didn't get their games out on time, but meh, they might have been trying to appease the die-hard Nintendo fanboys (the kind they showcase on IGN), after they made this:
http://n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=369&page=1
And please no comments on this one, let's stay on topic.
@Raven:
Actually, Resident Evil 4 and Killer 7 were announced to come out on the PS2 after the Gamecube. Bummer. And most people considered Metroid an adventure game, not just a platformer. In fact the President of Retro studios said that Metroid Prime isn't an FPS, but rather an adventure game in first person. Combat wasn't the main draw in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, was it? Just like shooting things isn't the main part of Metroid Prime. Anyway, back to the topic at hand: Next Generation consoles.
Okay, so this threads been straying off topic, so I'll ask a new question to the forum members, about the Xbox 2 so we can get away from N-sider for a while...

Some industry insiders have said that since Xbox 2 will be coming out first, they will be the leaders in terms of sales numbers next generation. While this could happen, it's also possible that instead, this might lead to a situation similar to what happened to the Dreamcast. Look at it this from a historical perspective: The Dreamcast was a much more powerful system than the current platforms (N64 and PS1). It made huge waves in the industry. However, right before it was going to be released in the U.S, Sony unvieled the PS2 at E3. The Dreamcast was a huge success at first, withretailers selling out systems on the first day. However, when the PS2 was released soon after, people stopped caring and moved on to the next, more powerful console (The Xbox and Gamecube were released just after a year later after the PS2, and they're both much more powerful). What I am saying is, releasing a console too early before the competition is usually a bad idea, I think the only reason the PS2 stayed at the top of the charts after the Gamecube and Xbox were released was because Sony hyped it up so much, some people today will still swear that the PS2 is the most powerful console. What are your opinions on this?

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
But, Ps2 still leads the back and it was released before Xbox and Gamecube...

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 07:44
I know that the playstation 2 is not the most powerful of the three consoles, however I still think it is the best. I hate the GC and XBX controls, I find them fiddly and hard to use, I also think that the range of games avaliable to them is a bit lacking. Then again the Xbox does have fewer, 'better' (matter of opinion) games. The GC also doesn't appeal to me because all of the games seem to be aimed at older gamers that have the mentality of a five year old.

That's why I'll be buying a PS3, from past experience.

I have come from a Super Nintendo, to Sega Mega Drive, PS1 now onto PS2. And I still really like the Mega Drive, but I don't have one, and lets face it it's horribly outdated.

The dude guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 07:55
I probably heard wrong but my friend is an Xbox freak... He told me Xbox 2 was going to be an upgrade or something like that.

Here's my forums www.andrewtamalunas.proboards28.com . Please join!

Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 08:09
@Anime Blood:

Yes, I said that I think that's because Sony really hyped up the PS2. Another reason that I didn't list is that developers were already developing some of their best games for it (Halo was going to be produced by Rockstar for the PS2 before Microsoft bought them. It's true, do a search for Halo on IGN).

"His Chops are too righteous! The helmets can't handle this intensity of Rock and Roll!"-Planktin
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Microsoft never bought Rockstar.

I hate the Ps2 controls, Xbox and SNES have the best.

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 08:48
I was talking about Bungie.

"His Chops are too righteous! The helmets can't handle this intensity of Rock and Roll!"-Planktin
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 09:20
Halo was going to be for PC before Microsoft bought Bungie.

I agree that Nintendo has a huge variety of creative titles, that's why I've already committed my money to Revolution, but I'm also interested in seeing some of the big blockbuster games for the other consoles. Nintendo's going to survive because of the great games that come out on its consoles, but it's always seemed that everybody else always has that one cooler game.

Sony stole our name!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh okay. Yeah I saw footage of the original PC Halo and it was like a tactical third person shooter.

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 11:15
Raven, I salute you.

Anyway, it is true that there won't be any more D-Pad, A or B buttons/controls. This was confirmed by some Japanese magazine, and I forgot the link where I read it. My friend may have it saved, so I'll see if I can get it from him soon...

Heres to E3 in a few months

"And C++ has 2 version Microsoft visual C++ and Bordland C++."
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 11:45
Quote: " Halo was going to be for PC before Microsoft bought Bungie.
"

Actually, it was going to be for the Mac .

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 11:49
Halo should have stuck to an RTS, it looked way better that way, anyway back on subject...

I have made a commintment to myself, to not buy any nintendo products, ever again, this is after nintendo's hostile attack on the US patent office, trying to patent several things that are obviously protected under prior art, such as emulation of nintendo systems. So I am looking forward to PSP, Xbox 2, and PS3.

Guns arn't the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arn't a problem anymore.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 01:51
Quote: "Actually, Resident Evil 4 and Killer 7 were announced to come out on the PS2 after the Gamecube. Bummer."

Residentl evil 4 and Killer 7 for the PS2 won't be out until the Next Generations start hitting the stores.
They're simply 'cash-in' versions of the games, and there is a rumour that Resident Evil 4 is going to be majorly delayed from the proposed Late-2005 simply because they don't have a sodding clue how to make the game look even remotely close to what it does on the GameCube.

Quote: "Halo was going to be for PC before Microsoft bought Bungie.
Actually, it was going to be for the Mac."

Halo was being developed on both the Windows and Macintosh Platforms, the PC version just had more cover and I didn't (at the time) have a Mac to run it, could barely run Warcraft3 fcol heh

You know what pissed me off about that whole situation, was Microsoft wanted Bungie to keep going on-to Halo 2 rather than revive thier old code for the PC.. so Gearbox were told to convert the X-Box version. Quite frankly Gearbox made a horribly bloody mess of it, which truely screwed it up for PC owners
I waited so long, just to have it on the X-Box with a control system I dislike quite intensely.

The N64 and GameCube are quite well designed for FPS games, the X-Box just isn't.. nor is the Playstation 2
just my opinion really; this said it might be more down the the controls used.

Quote: "Anyway, it is true that there won't be any more D-Pad, A or B buttons/controls. This was confirmed by some Japanese magazine, and I forgot the link where I read it."

Alright apart from the fact the current rumour around the campfire is that GameCube & GameBox Advance hardware will be compatible.

My eye-brow more than raises at this rumour. To begin with the GameCube uses the buttons:

A(D-Button) B(D-Button) C(Stick) X(D-Button) Y(D-Button) Z(D-Button) L(A-Button) R(A-Button)

Additional controls are:

Digital-Pad Control-Stick Start(D-Button)

The C-Stick is quite rare in the way, while it is an Analog Control Stick, it also passes back the 8-Way Directional C. Provides you with alot more flexibility of the control.
If the extra Analog control isn't required, then that provides you with 8-Extra buttons.

While it *may* be the case that the A & B buttons are changing thier roles, like the C-Pad did.. it's a complete crock of crap they're being dropped. Not without a radical controller redesign and a just as radical break from tradition and renaming all of the buttons.

What's more the D-Pad is not very likely to disappear either, given it is used in 90% of all GameCube games either to offer alternative control method to those who aren't fond of the Control-Stick, or as to provided additional buttons.

As it standads the GameCube is capable of using each of it's buttons in a variety of ways.

So while you have 8 - Visible Buttons, you also have an additional 8 from the C-Stick, another 2 from the Unclicked L & R, another 4 from the D-Pad.

Makes a total of 22 Potencial buttons to use!
Why exactly would Nintendo wish to take thier controller down to 6 Standard buttons? Sure most of the controls can comes from other sources but what buttons are used the most by games?

A B & X Y... All of the games use these.
Sorry but it just seems, unfeasible to me for Nintendo to drop the only things that tie them to the pad of Console gaming.

- / -

As for what is above:

Quote: "when the PS2 was released soon after, people stopped caring and moved on to the next, more powerful console"

That is the main flaw in your statement isn't it.
People sit there and say 'well without a doubt the X-Box and GameCube are more powerful.

Something I said last time these console wars were upon us was;
Dreamcast vs Playstation 2 : X-Box vs GameCube

in terms of power, and actually I was pretty spot on with that prior to knowing all of the details. Something has bothered me though, how the Playstation 2 was capable of generating SOOO much of the market. People can say 'well they were out first'.. but then if that's the case then why when the X-Box and GameCube came out did they Playstation 2 *still* (and still does) continue to outsell them in units?

How come the Playstation2 just made a mockery of the Dreamcast, despite it's much lower costs and quite obviously higher graphics quality.

Let's face it, the Console war last time didn't go at all like *anyone* expected it to. While alot of things everyone thought would happen did... no one truely believed that Sony would dominate everyone by such an unimaginably huge gap!

What makes even less sense is, the X-Box has more and better online games. Both the X-Box, GameCube and Dreamcast have more exclusive titles, franchises, and original games.

Seriously speaking, what the hell makes the Playstation 2 so damn special?! Can anyone actually answer this?
With the Playstation and Nintendo64 I could understand it, the N64 might've been more powerful but it cost an arm & a leg for games and hardware, not to mention how limiting in size those Carts were.

I suppose once again you can say the same thing about the GameCube, however every played 'Tales of Symphonia'? .. 80hrs(ish) of gameplay, the game is much larger than Final Fantasy X, it has a good number of CG Sequences, Voice Sequences, etc.. It is bigger and better than Final Fantasy X (imo).
While alot of the larger games that match the PS2 in sheer size are 2/3 Discs, I don't see what the hell the advantage of just having one disc is other than not having to change it.

The PC still uses CDs for the majority of released FGS, hell even Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 come in Disc form!
To me this has always been a sign that DVD Technology was and still isn't being taken seriously in computing.. how many people use DVDs for actual games and software? I know that although I have one, it's a DVD-Ram used almost purely for backing up things. That's basically all I've ever used it for.

The biggest selling points of the PS2 when it was released were:
It plays old PS games, and it is capable of playing DVD-Movies.

The other things promised have never seen the light of day.

Thing is, most people traded in all of thier PS games just to get the PS2.. and most have never used them on the console.
Same goes for the DVDs, most people didn't used that feature on the console until they started getting DVDs; and usually this was when they had a DVD player attached to the TV, which seems weird but most of my mates kept getting VHS until they got DVD Players even though they had a PS2.

The only thing I can attribute Sony's success with is marketing hype. Because quite frankly, I really can't think of any games off-hand that really stood out on the PS2.

X-Box and GameCube I can think of dozens.. but PS2, nothing.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
What the hell are you all talking about the xbox controller is perfectly designed for fps games its even been said by proffesional game sites and reviewers. The controller fits into your hand perfectly with great comfort, all the buttons are easy to press and understand and its a million times beter than that phlimsy piece of bull that is the ps2 controller. Besides the point people are starting to realise that in the long run xbox is taking over so get used to it you ps2 lovers.

[href]www.vapourhost.com/~flyer[/href]
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think I could imagine a FPS with the GCN, will have to try Timesplitters 2 or Medal of Honor on it.

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 06:52
Xbox controller? Good? Are you joking! I can barely touch all of the buttons on that monstrousity! It's horrible!

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Well it's better than a PS2 controller...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 07:02
Quote: "What the hell are you all talking about the xbox controller is perfectly designed for fps games its even been said by proffesional game sites and reviewers. The controller fits into your hand perfectly with great comfort, all the buttons are easy to press and understand and its a million times beter than that phlimsy piece of bull that is the ps2 controller. Besides the point people are starting to realise that in the long run xbox is taking over so get used to it you ps2 lovers."

I can't hold the X-Box controller, my hands are too small. People have suggested the X-Box S Controller, but why should I pay out an extra £25 for a sodding new controller.

Also don't you EVER DARE to call me a PS2 lover, you X-Box scumm!
I spit on the poor plastic and quality PS2 grave, if it weren't for the fact the bloody thing was *still* up and running.

I'm a Nintenoid, through'n'through.. For me, the GC Controller is really a work of art, and quality - built perfectly for almost everyones hands!

Timesplitters 2 is AWESOME on the GameCube, you should get it AnimeBlood. .. can even make your own deathmatch level, I *really* thought that was a snazzy update over the original.
I have the MOH games too, pretty good but not as good as the original PSOne game. I just prefer the original though, it's not that they're bad on the machine just none of the replications of it on the multiple platforms live up to the depth and style it had on the Playstation

Goldeneye : Rouge Agent is pretty sweet though. EA did a danm good job with that.

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 07:05
PS2 Controller is IMHO the best. The only way to settle this argument is to create a reailty TV show were 6 grandparents - having never heard of any of the console before - are given all three between them (with a stack of the same games for each console) then they can tell us which is the best! Before moaning at us young whipper snapers for waking them up.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 07:17
lmao...
the PS2 Slim controller is pretty nice to use, as it is much higher-quality manufacturing than the original (our PS2-S came today! )

however I still don't like it as a controller, it isn't very nice to use. Awkard to use the Control-Sticks, the buttons require more fingers than you have as they are in an uncomfortable position for your to use with all your fingers/thumbs. Plus the controller feel cramped. just my opinion though i guess

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 08:14
DC ROCKS!!!

*hides in a little castle under water*

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 08:50
Gamecube/n64 better than Xbox for FPS?

That C-stick needs to die. And Goldeneye ruined my fingers forever, no matter how fun it was. Xbox handles the substitution of WASD and Mouse with the dual analogs better than Gamecube does. See above: C-stick needs to die. It's stubby and inaccurate.

Sony stole our name!
Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 09:23 Edited at: 6th Jan 2005 22:23
@Major Payn:
Actually, I think emulating Nintendo systems through roms is illegal excpet if you're using it as backup.

Okay, going off of subject a little...

The question for now that I'll ask is about the "underdogs" of the next generation. Ever play an N-Gage? Yeah. I'm surprised that they're still making them. It probably won't be here by the time the next round of consoles come out. How about the Phantom? Being able to download your games online rather than going to the store to buy them seems like a cool idea in concept, but do you think they'll be able to pull it off? Do you think it would do better if Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft was backing it?

And yeah, I didn't see Bill Gates' speech Looks like I'll have to wait until they show the highlights of CES tomorrow on the Screen Savers to find out what happened...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 10:04
Quote: "Gamecube/n64 better than Xbox for FPS?

That C-stick needs to die. And Goldeneye ruined my fingers forever, no matter how fun it was. Xbox handles the substitution of WASD and Mouse with the dual analogs better than Gamecube does. See above: C-stick needs to die. It's stubby and inaccurate."

N64's controller was PERFECT for FPS Games, seriously was.
As for the C-Stick not upto the job of it... PU-LEEZ, that is the biggest crock of crap. It was far easier imo to control the character with it in Goldeneye, than on the PS2 or X-Box.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 15:21
Quote: " PS2 Controller is IMHO the best."

Take it from me--- somebody who got paid to use all three game systems for 8 months, 13 hours a day, 5-7 days a week. The Xbox-S controller is hands down the easiest to use. Then the NGC's. Then the PS2's. Case closed.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
My post was refering to the Xbox-S controller. As for your comments the larger controllers arent sold anymore if you havnt noticed so dont make your judgements based on the larger ones. Xbox-S controller is standard issue and it fits perfectly into your hands it was designed that way.

[href]www.vapourhost.com/~flyer[/href]
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 17:57
Quote: "My post was refering to the Xbox-S controller. As for your comments the larger controllers arent sold anymore if you havnt noticed so dont make your judgements based on the larger ones. Xbox-S controller is standard issue and it fits perfectly into your hands it was designed that way."

Go into the GameStation or Game stores near me, and you'll find a good 20-30 X-Box Standard controllers for £25 on the shelves (in various colours), behind the counter where you *have* to ask for them are the X-Box S Controllers... all come in that damn clear colour and sport the price of £30 on them.
Not to mention there always only ever seems to be 10 of them available.

Quite honestly I shouldn't *HAVE* to purchase an additional controller just to comfortably use the console I had just spend £160 on! As I've said, my X-Box is state-side and as far as I'm conserned it can bloody stay there.

Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 20:01 Edited at: 6th Jan 2005 20:05
All Xboxs sold in Australia now come with the Xbox S Controller. I haven't seen the normal sized controllers for sale here anymore either. Probably the same for New Zealand. Must be different in Britain or wherever.

Anyway, I believe the Xbox controllers are much more sturdy and can take a lot more punishment. I've gone through 4 PS2 controllers (MGS2 on Extreme is not nice), all completely useless. As for which one is better, I'd have to say the Xbox Controller (bear in mind I have never used a GC controller, looks weird ass though). I never get 'PlayStation thumb' type problems with them. I love the triggers as well. Make racing games hella easier. I still use the D-Pad, but only for the THPS series.

- Rpg Cyco

Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 22:21
I guess nobody heard my question about consoles that you've never heard of...

And yeah, Gamecube's controller does look odd, but it actually feels pretty natural really quickly.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 23:27
You´ve got to love the GC controller. That massive A button is just begging to be pressed.
Still, the xboxes analog sticks are as close to perfect as I´ve seen. And those triggers are teh leet.
If we could have a mixture of the 2 pads with some shoulder buttons. Now that would be great.

¿Como estas you el dia de today?
Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2005 06:42 Edited at: 7th Jan 2005 06:43
Seems like nobody cared about the question concerning consoles no one cares about. Let's stop talking about controllers anyway. Let's see, the best way to jump start a forum is to cause a lot of controversy, soooooo...

Quote: "Besides the point people are starting to realise that in the long run xbox is taking over so get used to it you ps2 lovers."
Yeah, I know it's an older post, but let's start a little debate about looking farther into the future. What most people don't realize is that there is a decent chance that there won't be an Xbox 3. Microsoft has yet to make any profit on the Xbox (As mentioned in the article that started all this argument), so if they don't make a big enough profit this time, they might just screw it all and can the whole project. Feel free to flame me mercilessly. The same thing goes for the PSP. If the DS and GBA continue to outsell it, there might not be a PSP2.

P.S. don't bother looking at the attachment on this post, it's just my new avatar. I don't have a website, so I have to put it here.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2005 10:16
Quote: "Anyway, I believe the Xbox controllers are much more sturdy and can take a lot more punishment. I've gone through 4 PS2 controllers (MGS2 on Extreme is not nice), all completely useless."

I've gone through several PS2 & PS Controllers, but the PSOne controller I have is still being used daily. I suspect the PS2-S constoller is also going to be around for a while as it has a nice quality feel to it.

Out GameCube controllers have been through one hell of alot.. considering I'm the main user of the console and I tend to drop things alot.. downstairs. I'm surprised I haven't killed the console and broken the hardware at all yet

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2005 10:24
Quote: "Microsoft has yet to make any profit on the Xbox"

You don't make profit on the hardware. Nintendo for over 2 decades has simply sold hardware to break even.

Where companies earn profit is from their self-published games from thier own companies.
Halo & Halo2 have made Microsoft a combined $490billion, that's just one game of quite a few.. not to mention every single game sold the publishers pay part of that to Microsoft for Licensing.

The hardware very rarely makes a profit, the software on the other hand make a killing. This is why Microsoft have continued to make the statment, 'The future for Microsoft Games is not in the hardware but the Software' .. this is also why XNA is big deal. It not only helps porting without effort, but also is another avenue for Microsoft to make Licensing fees from.

Sony have probably only just realised that you have to make a loss in order to gain momentum, with the PS2 they didn't have that.. simply because of the advertising campaign. Sony pour billions into advertising and it has served them well in the begining.

X-Box and GameCube are now bigger threats than ever, and they've not been wasting thier money on advertising. While Sony have been trying to make as much on hardware as possible, Microsoft and Nintendo have been getting bigger and bigger overall profit margins because they have far more exclusive and better games that are out selling Sony.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2005 10:24
I know!

Raven's gay

I am a George Foreman hair crimper
Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2005 23:21
Quote: "Halo & Halo2 have made Microsoft a combined $490billion"
Is that just how much money was made from selling the games, or the Net gain?

"His Chops are too righteous! The helmets can't handle this intensity of Rock and Roll!"-Plankton
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 21:49
Net afaik... dunno really, just assuming cause it was what the Scott guy said in a recent Microsoft webcast.

Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 02:16
Huh. what do you think about the DS and PSP's taglines anyway? "Touching is Good" just doesn't sound right, and shouldn't "The Walkman of the Future" be an actual walkman?

"His Chops are too righteous! The helmets can't handle this intensity of Rock and Roll!"-Plankton
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Hangman Studios, you shouldn't really use TGC's bandwich for you avatar. Just upload it elsewhere, this isn't a free image hosting service.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 05:27
LMAO!

'Touching is Good' ... haha, yeah that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

"So Mr. Jackson, after you gave the 10 year old 'Jesus Juice' what happened next?"
"Well Mr. Lawyer guy, Nintendo told me it was alright!"

Quote: "and shouldn't "The Walkman of the Future" be an actual walkman?"

And should it be able to play music natively?

Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 05:43
Yeah, its tagline is so stupid even Nintendo itself is making fun of it. In one of my Nintendo Powers, they made a bunch of "new" slogans, like:

Quote: "Touching is super-de-duper"

and:

Quote: "Nintendo DS: Kicking @$$ and taking names"

and who can forget:

Quote: " Nintendo DS: If it were any cooler, you could use it to make those shaved ice treats with the syrup that you buy at the county fair."

I swear, they actually printed that last one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:33:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:33:11