Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Next gen consoles

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 06:05
Quote: ""Touching is Good" just doesn't sound right"

I don´t know, it has a nice ring to it. And they are right, touching is good....

¿Como estas you el dia de today?
Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 06:07

"His Chops are too righteous! The helmets can't handle this intensity of Rock and Roll!"-Plankton
RaDiO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 04:31 Edited at: 11th Jan 2005 04:39
A couple of things:

1. I don't care about xbox2 and backwards compatibility, I just want continued support of xbox live and a harddrive. IMHO the ability to play your own music in place of the often generic techno sludge that most games spew out, makes the games ultimately more fun and playable, hence the HD must stay

2. Gamecubes successor doesn't all that much appeal to me....I love nintendo but their apparent lack of intelligence is a big question mark for me....I can't stand having games like Kirby getting multiple sequels while Super Smash Bros, one of their best selling games....has none. Its like they don't care what I (the gamer, the one who spends money on the product) want.

3. PS3 I will own without a doubt but they need to "americanize" a little bit more. I don't care for anime as much as others but over 60 percent of their PS2 library consists of it. I live for Twisted Metal sequels as well as castlevania and others so I will still own it.

4. Finally.....the PS2 controller is an inaccurate piece of junk...there is no way to be precise with the flimsy analog stick, making all fps' a mess and horrible placement of the shoulder buttons make it IMHO a "controller for dummies". Great for the casual gamer that plays every now and then who needs a generic controller that is functional. Any full-on gamer who isn't a die hard fanboy understands that it is ultimately inadequate for games that need precision. It needs to go the way of the dinosaur.

God if only the new controllers could use the analog and d-pad of the dreamcast....the world would be a better place.

just my thoughts

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I remeber my first time racing in NFS:U, using my cousins's PS2 god it almost stopped me from buying it on Xbox, I found it sooo hard to control with the PS2's analog...

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
RaDiO
Years of Service
User Offline
I know what you mean.

I could barely play any fps using that thing....the first timesplitters and red faction were so damned difficult, not because of the ai, but because of those crazy sticks.
Unfortunately I don't think that sony will make any improvements to the design. I think a third party manufacturer made a slighty altered controlled....never used it though.

Can anyone really say that they think the analog sticks on the ps2 are great?

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 06:14
I can, I think the playstation controls are the best, but I have been using them since the PS1 came out so I'm pretty used to them.

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 06:48
Quote: "I can't stand having games like Kirby getting multiple sequels while Super Smash Bros, one of their best selling games....has none."

WTF?! o_0, there is something unholy wrong with that entire sentance.

Quote: "PS3 I will own without a doubt but they need to "americanize" a little bit more. I don't care for anime as much as others but over 60 percent of their PS2 library consists of it. I live for Twisted Metal sequels as well as castlevania and others so I will still own it."

o_0, the Playstation & Playstation 2 has a combined libraries of 3,500 titles :: you can't find any 'American' games on it, then your just not looking hard enough. Fact is almost all of the best platformer games on it are American, the array of RPGs is shared between American D&D Style (like Dark Alliance 2) and Japanese RPG (like Final Fantasy X-2).
I can't name a single eastern FPS on it.. hell i don't think i've ever played an Eastern FPS; given that currently Everquest is Sony's biggest online RPG which is American, and Full Spectrum Warrior is thier biggest online FPS/TPS.

Well sod going through the rest but quite frankly the whole post is that of someone who really don't have a clue what is available for the platform's he is using. Let alone enough intelligence in passing comments to companies on what they should do..
RaDiO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 07:53 Edited at: 11th Jan 2005 07:54
Leyvin:

Whats wrong with:
Quote: "I can't stand having games like Kirby getting multiple sequels while Super Smash Bros, one of their best selling games....has none."

There are indeed two Kirby games out and undoubtedly more coming. Also in regards to SSBM, there is no sequel in the works that the public is aware of....so whats the problem? Nintendo has some seemingly twisted views on what the average videogame consumer is and you can find articles on cube.ign.com and other sites that back this up. I am an avid Nintendo supporter but my respect for their business practices has been waining over the years.

And calm down....I am not saying that the ps2 sucks or that it doesn't have anything for me. I wrote down that I indeed would purchase a ps3 because of titles such as Twisted Metal X and others.

I have found "Americanized" AAA titles in the ps2 library, I check out different video game stores about 3 times a week....all I am saying is that they are in the minority, which indeed they are. If you think that five billion renditions of America Pro Trucker or Ford Racing make up an "Americanized" library, you're dead wrong. I know that they are "Americanized" titles....it doesn't mean that they are all good enough to own. Most of the titles you also mentioned can be found on other consoles as well.

EVEN WITH THAT SAID....I love owning all 3 consoles, the ps2 and gc included....those are just my opinions and I'm am better informed than most. In the event that I am mistaken and my views are inaccurate....point me out to some games that yourself and others like and I'll give 'em a go, I just like playing games.

Also I don't mean to sound like I am generalizing or anything

ie: 60% <---not an actual number

On a side note:

Will the PS3 support backwards compatability?? Just curious
RaDiO
Years of Service
User Offline
*didn't want to edit above post (too long)

@ Hangman

I don't know so you might.....

I know that Microsoft is taking a loss on the xbox console....aren't they profiting on the software side????

Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 09:42
What I've read is that Microsoft is losin Billions on the hardware from EGM, IGN, N-Sider, etc. I think this is because it costs a lot more to make than what they're selling it for (and I'm sure if I'm wrong Leyvin will correct me )

Hmm...
*drops link then runs away using super-stealth-ninja technique*
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7421/Xbox-2-Patent/

"His Chops are too righteous! The helmets can't handle this intensity of Rock and Roll!"-Plankton
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 15:03 Edited at: 11th Jan 2005 15:18
Quote: "There are indeed two Kirby games out and undoubtedly more coming. Also in regards to SSBM, there is no sequel in the works that the public is aware of....so whats the problem?"

Super Smash Bros Melee, the GameCube version isn't the first.
It didn't sell as well as you'd think, the first in the series didn't either.

I only know of one Kirby for the GameCube, but then I'm not a fan of that game so. What do I care.
Really I think the tactic of a single game in a series per generation is a good idea... I mean while sure there is more than one title that includes Mario on the GameCube, if you notice while Super Mario Sunshine has performed record sales just like it's N64 counterpart, that will be the only *real* Mario game on the GameCube. If you think about it games like Pokémon are *really* bad for having hundreds of sequals without evolving much or having much new, they're obvious ploys for more money.

Pokemon TV for example! (which my brother did buy.. god knows why though) I mean if you realise that most of Nintendo's best sellers only get sequals once the fans demand it, like Pikmin. It isn't hard to realise that games like Super Smash Bro Melee really are more of a 'one title for one generation' game. If you dust of your N64 and play the original and then play the GameCube version you realise that actually, they're not that different. Some new levels, some new characters, some new gameplay. Essentially the same game though down to the letter.

Quote: "I am not saying that the ps2 sucks or that it doesn't have anything for me. "

Then I'll say it. The Playstation2 sucks!
I know you didn't say that it is bad or didn't have anything for you, but your comment that there aren't enough 'american' games on it while not being quite insulting in it's own right given it is a Japanese machine and that the American companies don't exactly make an abundance of good games (more Western games would've been more appropriote), the fact still remains that the majority of PS2 games available to you are either American or Japanese.

Not really much way of getting around that. European and Canadian games in general end up being more innovative and there is a much larger A-Class Selection of games, but still every nation pumps out crap and good games. Sony don't seem to advertise specifically any Japanse games really. Most of them are for the American games like Full Spectrum Warrior, but this said no matter what game is advertised they always seem to have 'Playstation2' at the end, even if the game during the advert has the multiple formats that it's available for. You'll still hear at the end of the advert 'Out now for Playstation2'.. and you just think, 'well it had a GameCube and X-Box logo there too o_0;'

Quote: "EVEN WITH THAT SAID....I love owning all 3 consoles, the ps2 and gc included....those are just my opinions and I'm am better informed than most. In the event that I am mistaken and my views are inaccurate....point me out to some games that yourself and others like and I'll give 'em a go, I just like playing games. "

I own all three current Generation consoles, plus the previous generation which are still used regularly. I don't know what are in American game stores currently, and even when I lived there I never really ventured into any other store than EB to pick-up pre-orders I'd sorted out online.

I do however visit Game and GameStation here on a weekly basis. The Playstation2 games section and chart here, have very very few Japanese games in it. I mean just go onto http://www.Game.uk.com (they bought out EB here), and you'll find the selections available.

There are *more* than enough good american games that are available. I mean I could sit here and say there aren't really many british games and Sony should try to fit more of them in for us.. but then that would be crap because the country a game is made in doesn't make it good or bad. The game itself is what should be judged.

I mean Silent Hill for example is a japanese game, but it has never felt like one of thier mega-over-the-top-story games. It deals more in hints and scaring the poop out of you. Something you would come to expect from a french game, as they are much better at that.
When you think about it, in the grand scheme of things the *unbeatable* titles generally come from Europe & Japan... this is not because Sony don't push other titles, this is because quite simply put, there is more innovation and much higher quality produced titles from these nations.

Hell British game companies if they want to keep developing *have* to produce A-Class games. Our games industry is in such termoil right now, you can't release a game that is simply 'meh'. If you do that's the last game you develop.
As such you notice alot of games like Sphynx and the Cursed Mummy, or Ghost Hunter, or Colin McRae 5, each of these games have had to be upto unbeatable standard.. because you just can't afford to make a loss given companies here make the least profit on games.

Now which of these you'd much prefer Grand Turismo (UK), Burnout 3 (Jap), and Ford Motorsport (US) is really upto you isn't it.
If you don't know what country they come from then it's easy to judge them, but it is quite insulting to be saying games just aren't good enough not to be comming from America.

Personally speaking I'm sick and tired of everything becomming 'Americanised', I mean why the hell should everyone change thier lives and way of doing things to please one nation?

If something isn't in the store for you, either this means a) Americans on the whole make weak-ass games, or b) Americans don't purchase alot of thier own games.
Stores generally stock what people buy. Given around here there is a more Metropoliteon taste in everything that is what generally is available for us.
RaDiO
Years of Service
User Offline
@Hangman

From what I understood, might be a generalization, ALL of the consoles lose money on the hardware but profit from software sales? Though I would believe that Microsoft is losing more money than others because of all the components that make up the xbox.

@Leyvin

Thanks for correcting my terminology, "westernized" was the term I was looking for. Its kind of hard to describe what I mean by saying that. To sum it up basically I want more games (exclusive to the console) that I can relate to or "get into", if that makes any sense. If a game like Burnout 3 comes out for all systems and more often than not the gc and xbox versions have more eye candy.....its hard to justify buying it for the ps2.

Generally yes....americans give a half-assed effort making games...
Don't exclude our 51st state Canada (j/k) either *EA's base*
They are just as half-assed.

BTW Sphynx was bad-assed for g-cube.

From what I also understood, SSBM was a 1 mill. seller....Nintendo propaganda?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 02:51
1 Million Units isn't hard... Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness was the worst seller of the series, and still made the 1 Million mark.
Chronicles sold more but based on the sales of that and public opinion on Angel of Darkness from the tradeshows, they'd already decided to move it.

In relation, Halo2 sold 2million copies in it's first week worldwide. Taking 380,000 alone on the first release day in the United States.

1 Million is a big number to budget developers, but to major publishers, it should be childs play to reach.
As for Canadian games, I'm not talking about EA's stuff. Generally the work ethic and load in these companies provides sub-par performance simply because, when you are worked like slaves your not going to see the love an attention that companies free of that are capable of. I'm talking more to the THQ and UbiSoft developers there...

As for Western exclusive titles. If you notice the GameCube has recently let go of all of it's western exclusive companies. We'll see soon enough if it pays off for them as StarFox Assault by Namco tries to fit into Adventures shoes.
After all of the American bashing of that game, quite frankly the game looks gorgeous, plays gorgeous, and is exactly what you expect from Rare. A bloody good, fun platformer.

I don't really care about titles comming out on other machines and being non-exclusive really. Alot of the games I have on my GameCube were also released on other formats.. quite frankly I've found that there are very few games that I tried on other platforms that I can get on the GC that I've got for anything else.

Don't give a damn where the games come from, a good game is a good game. Quite frankly I find *alot* of american games uninventive and unoriginal.. they just are carbon copies for more money often.
The best games produced all end up on the PC which I usally will get them for.

Look at the X-Box for example, one of the best exclusive games it has is Fable.. which was developed in the UK. I get bored of the X-Box very quickly until a new title is released. Don't think i've ever felt the urge to complete any games, but completed a few simply to say 'yeah i've done it'. Like Halo, which got boring and repetitive... You look at what Bungie did before it though, Oni and that was good an innovative.

Whiplash on the PS2 is a good game, and quite unique take on the standard platformer. The PS2 has alot of those types of titles and a good number are exclusive to it... but as I've said before they get boring quickly.

What acutally annoys me about the PS2 and GameCube is because of the 'unAmerican' phobia american gamers have, about things comming from Japan often means that some truely awesome games that come out there never reach British shores because translating it for us is just not worth while. Americans miss out on some bloody corker games too... and the market only ports across games that they think the market there will accept which means you end up with alot of 'dumbed' down games that will be accepted with open arms.

I mean you play the original FF7 for the PS in Japanese and there is alot of story that is just cut out or made 'american friendly', and as such you loose something in the translation.
It's like what the hell is up with the constant OTT Animé voices they always put in these games?!

Why the hell can't they ever have some serious casting, like Prince of Persia Warrior Within. The casting on that was just AWESOME beyond belief! Gave you a real sense of multi-culture and the acting was just so well done, you didn't feel like it was some corney take just to add vocals to something adding in OTT emotion.

Over acting is a true pet peeve of mine, and really does spoil alot of manga Series when that happens. Just sounds too unnatural and is so damn annoying.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
You meant Adventures for the bashing, right? Well I've played it and I liked it so I might purchase it used for like 6 dollars with my gamecube (that is hoping I can get it this weekend as planned).

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 03:03
yeah i did, i played it at GameCube release events and thought it was interesting, but didn't like the fact it wasn't in space in your fighter.

after buying it though... i played it until i completed it then started it again to try and get all of the extras. it is a very nice smooth game. You should be able to get it on 'Players Choice' for $10 brand new
personally I hate used games, but that's probably just me heh
Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 06:54
@ Leyvin:
Gran Turismo is made in Japan. I've seen the inside of the office. They wouldn't sleep in their cubicles if they were just localizing it...

And Rare shouldn't be critized for Star Fox Adventures, you're right. I didn't get to play through all of it, but there were those space scenes, even if a bit skimpy, in my opinion. Take what you get and live with it.

And it seems like nobody noticed the super-neato-ninja-link from my last post. Maybe I should have said what it was before scampering off. Pretty funny that Microsoft is saying the future's in software when all people are talking about is how awesome the graphics will be.

*Uses Recall time move and rewinds back to last post, putting link in this one*
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7421/Xbox-2-Patent/

and @ RaDiO:
Quote: "3. PS3 I will own without a doubt but"

Don't be so sure. Like Leyvin said, the Xbox is outselling the PS2 right now, even if PS2 have a higher total of collective sales this generation (210 mil. to 20, I think). Just because the PS2 sold best this generation, doesn't mean anything in the next one.
Look what happened to Sega. The Genisis outsold the SNES in America, then they made the Saturn (but most nobody remembers that today), and then the Dreamcast. It did great until the PS2 came along, then it got wiped out. This all happened in two generations. What I'm saying is, while the past can help predict the future, don't predict entirely upon it.

Oh, and SSBM has sold over 2 million copies and is on the best selling list for the GCN every month (I'm basing this on the sales charts in Nintendo Power that they have in every issue). It's actually the best-selling game on the system.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 08:20
...I used Star Fox Adventures as a cheap alternative waiting for Wind Waker to come out. It was okay, but didn't do anything particularly impressive.

All my friends are Tom Clancy/HalfLife/Halo fiends. Whenever we're over here and someone suggests we play gamecube it always ends up being SSBM. That game is awesome.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2005 06:18
And you can't blame them. So nobody cared about the Xbox 2 schematics, huh? You know, 'cuz stuff like that is really what this thread is about...

My smiley got smallpox...

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
Nintendo have got rid of the D pad and replaced it with four directional buttons on the DS

:: 1.8 gHZ AMD Duron :: 256 MB Ram :: 32 MB SiS Graphics ::

:: Current Project: Sea Bound ::
Hangman Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2005 07:43
@ pricey:
The directional buttons are a D pad. It's the PSP that has four separate buttond.

*pulls out giant bag of console news and takes deep breath*

It is rumored that the default controller for the Revolution will be wireless, like the Wavebird, although it probably will have force feedback this time. There are also rumors that it will be able to hook up to a computer screen, and oh what ever here's a FAQ:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/522/522559p1.html

For the Xbox 2, There are rumors that it can play computer games since it can hook up to a keyboard. Lot's of gimmicks goin' on on the concoles, huh?

Gates on Xbox 2:
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/577/577825p1.htm
Have to agree with him on the PSP.

All I can find out about the PS3 is that it wil use Blu-Ray discs, but we all already knew that, didn't we?

And in my attachment is just a picture so absurd I had to post it. That's a pong paddle behind Mario.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:29:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:29:24