Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Commodore has been bought

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 04:21
Looks like the Commodore brand is about to be resurrected. See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4145965.stm

As an ex-Amiga owner, I have a soft sport for the brand. However, I have to say that I doubt we'll see any sort of new computer from the new owner.

What do you think?

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 05:39
I think Amiga sucked, Atari ST was better!

Sorry for my English...
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 05:55 Edited at: 5th Jan 2005 05:58
Quote: "Atari ST was better"

Nope - the Amiga was a real pain to program thugh - believe me, I tried... Only managed to complete one game...

It would be nice if the Amiga was brought back - but unfortunately it would have tough competition...

So many companies have said they would resurrect a Commodore machine - I would only get excited if I could actually see it in a shop.

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
I have no signature.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 06:02
As much as I love my Amiga 1200, which I still have set up in my bedroom, I am sticking it on on eBay soon as I am moving house soon and I can't be bothered moving it again. I've already dragged it between 3 different houses, but enough is enough, it's time to move on. In it's day it was certainly the best home computer around. I knew lots of people with Atari ST's and even they admitted Amigas were best.

Will be interesting to see how much I get as there are some mad people out there paying some decent money.

Boo!
French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 06:09
Quote: " I knew lots of people with Atari ST's and even they admitted Amigas were best.
"

Yes, you're right, I was joking but I knew a lot of people with Amiga's
who bought ST because Dungeon Master was just released on it. (DM came on Amiga later...)

Sorry for my English...
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 06:10
@Spooky

Do you want to give it to me?

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 06:35
Being a lawyer, he could give you a good legal reason for receiving a free A1200...

I have no signature.
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 06:48
Yes. Give it to me or I talk to you about the law.

Philip

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 06:56
That'll tell him.

I have no signature.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 07:00
Quote: "Do you want to give it to me?"

Quote: "Being a lawyer, he could give you a good legal reason for receiving a free A1200..."

My reasons for NOT giving you my beloved Amiga are:

1. You would sell it yourself and pocket the cash
2. Bears paws are too big to operate the keyboard
3. Even bears that are 'smarter than the average bear' still can't use an Amiga (as far as I know)

A good legal reason is that 'giving it to you' might be considered a bit pervy and I'll be imprisoned for interfering with an animal.

I'll post the eBay link when I'm done and you can gladly bid on it.

Boo!
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 07:09
Curses! Foiled again!

Philip

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 13:51
While it's interesting that somebody is still interested in C=, but the brand no longer comprises the Amiga side of it. The Amiga was sold off as separate entity in one of the first (if not the first) C= liquidation sales. Which is alive today as Amiga Inc, their still kicking, just barely, and in yet another mess.. What a surprise

Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Play Nice! Play Basic - Next Generation Basic (Release V1.05 Out Now)
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 16:05
And they haven't produced anything tangable either.

I have no signature.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 19:37
True, in terms of new Amigas there's not a lot progress. All of the interesting stuff has always been third parties for hardware add on's. Amiga Inc seem to be heading down the portable road, with Amiga DE & TOAS (which i think was renamed intent a few years back).

The AmigaOne hardware was released in late 2003, but OS4 (native ppc versions) has only just become available to pre-order customers. There are some layers still missing, but ya get that. So there's something to cheers about, a mere 10 years too late..

Kevin Picone
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 19:38
http://www.amiga.com/

If anyone was interested...

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 20:09
The Amiga had better graphics and faster graphics - but the ST was faster by a whopping .5mhz - which sounds insignificant, but at a time when 8mhz was the norm, it did make a difference in 1 area... 3D the ST had better 3D games than the Amiga, but strangely 3D was not massively important to people back then. Typically the ST would have 16 colours compared to the Amiga's 32 - most graphics were done on the Amiga and ported (badly) across.

The ST was also better for applications and had a nicer OS. Coding on the ST was nice, everything was laid out so neatly - I have heard that the Amiga is a bit of a pain to code with, I think that's how Blitz and AMOS were so popular, yet STOS on the ST was greatly lacking in comparison - most ST coders were using Devpac Assembler, personally I liked GFA Basic (which was very similar to PureBasic).

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 20:47 Edited at: 5th Jan 2005 20:47
Plus the ST had Midi ports, which was the main reasons I bought one.

As soon as more a detailed documentation of GEM was available (mostly through third party books) it was indeed easy to program. The only headache was that certain pointers or memory addresses changed with each OS update; so if you had some useful hacks they wouldn't run on all machines. At that time the OS was booted from ROM (except for the early STs), so your system requirements couldn't say, 'This software requires TOS/GEM version x.x'

Quote: "personally I liked GFA Basic"

Yeah GFA Basic was cool. And the compiler was amazingly fast and easy to use.

Play Nice! Play Basic! Version 1.06
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 21:51
Quote: " The Amiga had better graphics and faster graphics - but the ST was faster by a whopping .5mhz - which sounds insignificant, but at a time when 8mhz was the norm, it did make a difference in 1 area... 3D the ST had better 3D games than the Amiga, but strangely 3D was not massively important to people back then."

Well, there's a bone .. Better 3D games, Ok I'll bite.. like what ?

In terms of Cpu speed advantage, it's often forgotten that the Amiga co- processor design. The backbone of which was the blitter chip, which could drawn lines and fill spanned polygon shapes asynchronously. Atari liked the idea so much they added blitter to future ST's also..

Quote: "Typically the ST would have 16 colours compared to the Amiga's 32 - most graphics were done on the Amiga and ported (badly) across."

Yes sadly shovel-ware was king in both directions. Most vanilla ST app's that were ported to the Amiga, were done very badly, so poorly in some cases, they didn't even use the Amiga custom hardware.. They'd just shovel them across willy, nilly.

Quote: " The ST was also better for applications and had a nicer OS."

Nicer OS.. I'm curious, in what way ?.

Quote: " Coding on the ST was nice, everything was laid out so neatly - I have heard that the Amiga is a bit of a pain to code with."

I guess it depend upon your background, coming straight the 8bit world of the C64/Spectrum's (etc etc) of the day, to the Amiga , was a culture shock that (i would imagine) a lot of programmers (including myself) would have initially shy away from. I.e. 680x0, Multi tasking, Co processors, API based coding.. Which was totally foreign to the 8bit sceners.

Although thankfully the OCS chip set hardware was soon published in various books. You had be a C= developer to obtain the OS SDK in those days. Not that the demo/gaming scene cared.

For me in that scene, It's was just like coding a more powerful C64..

Quote: " I think that's how Blitz and AMOS were so popular, yet STOS on the ST was greatly lacking in comparison - most ST coders were using Devpac Assembler"

On release, the initial packs of the A500/ OS1.2 (and prolly Os1.1) came packaged with Microsoft's (wonderful ) Basic. Which was really just for toy app's, Ok for writing shopping's list managers, but not much else. So it's no surprise why Blitz, Amos etc etc took off to the general public.

Environment based assemblers like Seka /Asmone were the order of the day in the game/demo scene.

Quote: " As soon as more a detailed documentation of GEM was available (mostly through third party books) it was indeed easy to program. The only headache was that certain pointers or memory addresses changed with each OS update; so if you had some useful hacks they wouldn't run on all machines. At that time the OS was booted from ROM (except for the early STs), so your system requirements couldn't say, 'This software requires TOS/GEM version x.x' "

How very scenie

Exec on Amiga, was based off the core pointer, which was always located at address $4 on matter what machine or revision. You open subsequent libraries through the returned exec pointer (ie open libary/close library/allocmem/dealloc etc etc).

Kevin Picone
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 22:38
Quote: " How very scenie "

Quote: "Exec on Amiga, was based off the core pointer, which was always located at address $4 on matter what machine or revision. You open subsequent libraries through the returned exec pointer (ie open libary/close library/allocmem/dealloc etc etc)."

Yeah most of "official" stuff was available through pointers to addresses of pointer tables or to direct memory addresses as well. However, there were a few things (I remember issues I had with programming the sound chip) that had different addresses depending on the TOS revision. Chances are that there was another way to get these particular addresses, but it was nowhere documented. That was really a problem sometimes.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 23:17
The ST was nice and fast at 3D because of the way it stored it's pixel data - I mean, 16 colours and a 320x200 resolution, means 2 bytes can hold 4 pixels and a whole screen is 32k - means it can fill with solid colour quite quickly because it might only have to modify a few bits. It was actually possible to split the screen in 2 layers using the pixel bitstream system. I have no idea how the Amiga handled it's colour tables, but with it's 32 colours, it probably had to do a little more maths. I used to read multi-format magazines all the time, often there would be comparisons made between Amiga and ST games, I'm just going by comments made about games like Midwinter, Hunter, like the big games at the time. 3DStudio started on the ST according to Rich, I remember a series of 3D tools and a few different raytracers - but I have no idea what it used to be known as.

The STE got a blitter which brought it more upto speed with the Amiga, but sadly it still had the limited pallete (although a better pallete this time) so could'nt really compete against it. It got a better sound chip too - ST sound sucked, STE sound was far better.

As for OS's - well I used to program a lot of accesories for the ST, like silly stuff like claws that let you scratch the desktop with you mouse, or screensavers - coding these scarily easy because of the way GEM worked. Amiga's workbench never lit my fire - not that I spent a lot of time using it anyway, but it always seemed wrong to me. It was incredibly convenient to have that DOS floppy support, I don't think the Amiga had that as standard.

Anyhoo - there's no point in us having a 'My ST is better than your Amiga' discussion, let's just wait for Raven to come along and lay down the facts .

Van-B

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 23:52
Quote: "Anyhoo - there's no point in us having a 'My ST is better than your Amiga' discussion,"

Oh why not? With all this 80s revival hype, that "war" was so essential.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 02:18
Just curious Van, (and nicely avoiding working tonight!

Quote: " The ST was nice and fast at 3D because of the way it stored it's pixel data - I mean, 16 colours and a 320x200 resolution, means 2 bytes can hold 4 pixels and a whole screen is 32k - means it can fill with solid colour quite quickly because it might only have to modify a few bits."

My understanding is the ST uses planar (bit plane) screen modes, same as the Amiga.

Quote: " It was actually possible to split the screen in 2 layers using the pixel bitstream system. I have no idea how the Amiga handled it's colour tables, but with it's 32 colours, it probably had to do a little more maths. "

The Amiga also has dual playfield modes. As seen in Classic stuff like shadow of beast games, even my own. In more modern games you commonly see 3 playfields, via multiplexing hardware sprites.

The ocs chipset in the A500 machines actually supports 6 bitplanes in lowres. However, Only 32 colours are user definable from a 12 bit palette. ie( 4 bit R,G,B's = 4096 colours). Bit plane six (when) activated was used in half bright mode. So setting this bit would halve the brightness of this colour.

Interlaced Half bright was generally the mode of choice for guys like 'Facet'.

Quote: " I used to read multi-format magazines all the time, often there would be comparisons made between Amiga and ST games, I'm just going by comments made about games like Midwinter, Hunter, like the big games at the time."

Your probably right.. But it's not an view point I've heard before.. ever.

Quote: " 3DStudio started on the ST according to Rich, I remember a series of 3D tools and a few different raytracers - but I have no idea what it used to be known as."

That more a opportunity thing that a platform thing. The Amiga was also littered with ray tracing and gfx productivity software, I think mainly due it's HAM & Dynamic display modes. HAM gave a semi photo realistic image, by allowing all 4096 colours to be used at once in special mode. Useless for anything other than static images and only available in lowres & laced on OCS.

Quote: "The STE got a blitter which brought it more upto speed with the Amiga, but sadly it still had the limited pallete (although a better pallete this time) so could'nt really compete against it. It got a better sound chip too - ST sound sucked, STE sound was far better."

For me, MIDI sounds was always standout ST feature. People still use them in studios today. That's pretty amazing.

Quote: " As for OS's - well I used to program a lot of accesories for the ST, like silly stuff like claws that let you scratch the desktop with you mouse, or screensavers - coding these scarily easy because of the way GEM worked. Amiga's workbench never lit my fire - not that I spent a lot of time using it anyway, but it always seemed wrong to me."

Just been playing with an ST emulator running TOS v2.06. I actually don't mind it. I like how the windows can be dragged off the screen. Which is a nice touch. Something that WB show have always had. Haven't really seen it do anything as yet, but it's fun having a look.

Quote: " It was incredibly convenient to have that DOS floppy support, I don't think the Amiga had that as standard."

Yeah it did, but I can't recall at what level it came natively. I might have been OS1.2/OS1.3, prolly OS2.0.. Just a regular mountable device (only low density though)

Quote: " Anyhoo - there's no point in us having a 'My ST is better than your Amiga' discussion, let's just wait for Raven to come along and lay down the facts"

Ahh, your no fun

The Falcon was about the closest i came to jumping on the Atari bandwagon. That sounded like a nice piece of kit. A pity they had zero retail present here by that time.

Kevin Picone
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 02:53
Yeah it used word long bitplanes - but by multi layering, I mean you could affect each bit seperately. I have no idea if the Amiga worked in the same way, but you could have a backdrop and foreground that are independant, yet share the same memory. It limited the pallete a lot, so it was only really seen in demos. The worst thing about coding on the ST was the lack of a blitter, it meant that scrolling horizontally could only be done quickly in 16 pixel chunks - vertical scrolling was fine, I'd just move data pointers to scroll the screen.

There was this add on for GFA Basic called Sprite Works, which was so damn powerful it could have wiped STOS off the map - unfortunately it came too late. It was really easy to call assembly routines from within GFA, so you'd just load this little bit of compiled assembly code and execute them directly from their memory location - it had stuff like hardware sprites and scrolling, copperlines, scanline pallete switching, border removal, and a very welcome soundtracker .mod support. Probably all the stuff AMOS users had been playing with for years.

Van-B

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 03:19
Most Amiga's ran on low-resolution settings:

512x384x15 .. 32,000 possible colours, 56 coloured used on-screen. Much like the GameBoy Advance actually

High Resolutions were odd though, as they all appeared to be 16:9 format. Still, they generally stuck to 15bpp.
AGA in the A1200 & A600 (home models) was capable of 24bpp

In terms of what the Amiga could do graphically, it was capable of running rings around the equivilant Atari. This said the Atari was always a much better Sound Engineer platform.

It's the whole reason I got an Amiga 500+ and my mate got himself an Atari ST. About the only thing I remember him boasting about it though was the Disk formatting time, which I must admit was ridiculously fast.

Quake came out for the AGA Amiga's back in '97, still have a copy of it.. but not sure my Squirrel drive is still operational. It kinda rocked being able to play a game my P166+ was struggling with at the same resolution just as fast.

A1200 AGA 50 MHz, 4 MB EDO Ram, 2x Squirrel CD-ROM (Parallel), 120 MB SCSI HDD (Internal)
God I loved that machine, ran Elite 2 like a dream.. a game my AMD 486 DX4/120 always struggled with.

I like the AmigaOne machines, but right now they just seem like Macintosh. So not really much point getting them, given most of them even run on bloody G4 Processors. No 68K Co-Processor in sight, which really is saddening as that is the hallmark of the Amiga imo.

Ironically the 68K Architecture is still alive and well today, inside one of the most unlikely things.
NVIDIA GeForce Graphics Processors, they're internal architecture started out being 68K-based. Not sure how true it is to that architecture still, probably more and more PPC based now given thier development partners.

Still would be nice to see some good ol' Amigas making a come pack. Amiga Inc, don't really need to pour money into R&D for it right now.. simply use what IBM have developed already, there are PPC technologies that Apple have yet to make use of.
If they could strike a deal with the big graphics card manufacturers, as well as ship an adapted copy of Windows XP with it.. I think they could put themselves back on the market at a fraction of the cost of a fully independant system.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 03:39
Standard Amiga's were 320x256x32 colours .

Van-B

French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 06:14 Edited at: 6th Jan 2005 06:16
Since this thread's start, I knew that it will end in a ST/Amiga war!!! But I love that as it reminds me the old good times...

Sorry for my English...
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 06:53
Quote: "The Falcon was about the closest i came to jumping on the Atari bandwagon. That sounded like a nice piece of kit. A pity they had zero retail present here by that time."

The Falcon was a brilliant idea at that time and it could have been _the_ standard machines for recording studios- and even more mastering studios- and even more home studios .
Except for the few conceptual flaws (at least for the music stuff), it was probably released "too early" (well, at that time mass storage was still a problem, and digital tape based systems were a huge success, ADAT anyone?). But I think the biggest problem was the fact that they weren't able to sell the amount of machines they needed to keep their prices low enough, when the only interested group is a bunch of sound engineers and musicians.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 06:57
Quote: "Standard Amiga's were 320x256x32 colours"

I'll try to boot up my old A500+, but I'm almost certain it was 512x384 PAL 56 Colour Total.. I'm basically going by what Delux Paint 3 used, and what I've heard the Monkey Island engine used from SCUMMVM.net - I used AMOS when programming on it, which took most of the behind the scenes stuff away. Never got much past the simplist of programs, like a spinning cube

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 07:12
Found this site which has very detailed resolution charts for every amiga.

http://amiga.resource.cx/models.html

Boo!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Most Amiga games were 320 * 256 with 32 colours.
The Amiga was easy to program if you used Amos.
Most graphics were drawn with Deluxe Paint, and ported to the ST.
If the Amiga used the Dual Playfield mode you were limited to 2 sets of 16 colours. So really, you had to draw most graphics in 16 colours.
The ST was faster at 3D games, but rarely produced games that the Amiga could not run.
Amigas were used in Catchphrase for the silly graphics.
Babylon 5 also used the Amiga for its special effects.
The Amiga cost £2000 with 256k memory when it was first released.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2005 03:30 Edited at: 7th Jan 2005 04:19
Nice facts Pincho .

I think the most famous one is Dungeon Master, but it was available for 1mb machines, which probably just means it needed more memory to store the graphics. I always preferred Captive though, which was like a futuristic Dungeon Master with more firepower.

Van-B

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2005 13:47
Quote: "Yeah it used word long bitplanes - but by multi layering, I mean you could affect each bit seperately. I have no idea if the Amiga worked in the same way, but you could have a backdrop and foreground that are independant, yet share the same memory. It limited the pallete a lot, so it was only really seen in demos."

While the data sounds like it stored in a similar format. Not quiet the same then.. BTW Amiga's OCS chipset has 6 bitplanes (ie. 64 Colours). Anyway you could use the hardware duals playfield mode. On OCS that gave you 2 playfields of 8 colours, Plus variations. But since odd and even playfields were independent (to a point) you could over come this with merely setting the palette according. as seen in games like 'Robocod'. The planes can shuffle in 8 pixel intervals using the copper.

Quote: " The worst thing about coding on the ST was the lack of a blitter, it meant that scrolling horizontally could only be done quickly in 16 pixel chunks - vertical scrolling was fine, I'd just move data pointers to scroll the screen."

So the screen mode doesn't have a smooth register ? Ouch.. One of the nicer ideas about the way the Amiga works, was display area and bitmap format are user definable (to an extent). Which allows not only for over scan images, custom size screen modes but also masking of the actually view port. The video fetch was shift able by up to a 16 pixels. SO to create a 320*200 scrolling screen screen the image is actually 336x*200y. The video pre-fetch start reading the previous word, which can be masked out.

The problem was the setting the pre fetch too far back to the left, of visible pixel 0.. would kill off some hardware sprites.. very annoying !. As bit plane dma has higher priority than sprite dma. Pretty much most Amiga games used hardware sprites for main characters mostly. The exception was vertical scrollers were multi plexing allowed for viable re-distribution of sprites. It's a pity they were limited in annoying ways. Very much an after thought i'd say.

While it supports 8 hardware sprite channels (each of 4 colours).. you have to merge channels to to get 16 colours sprites. Thus you only have four 16 colours sprites, you can mix and match them though. In OCS, their limit to 16 pixels wide, but unlimited height. Sprites were updated in AGA and did allow for some nice effects since they increased the width. (32 & 64 pixels). The AGA chipset has 32/64 bit prefetch modes in it which reduce the overhead of bitmap dma, the age old problem of lower sprite dma priority pop's it ugly head again.

Quote: " There was this add on for GFA Basic called Sprite Works, which was so damn powerful it could have wiped STOS off the map - unfortunately it came too late. It was really easy to call assembly routines from within GFA, so you'd just load this little bit of compiled assembly code and execute them directly from their memory location "

Amos had a similar feature, you could import a assembled code segments directly into a function (well proc . It was a nice idea, but also very buggy. Although I only ever wrote trinkets in AMOS, it was awfully slow.

Quote: " - it had stuff like hardware sprites and scrolling, copperlines, scanline pallete switching, border removal, and a very welcome soundtracker .mod support. Probably all the stuff AMOS users had been playing with for years.
"

Erm, ST has hardware sprites ?, you mean BOB's obviously ?

Most of that was in regular Amos. Sprite support was interesting i guess, they'd built in an interrupt driven sub language called AMAL. Dunno if that was in STOS. Pretty simple, but it was compiled to machine code (obviously since they were interrupt driven) with a handful of simple event/logical style instructions. The idea being that sprite movement/animation/collision even could be controlled via them. Pretty handy since Amos was an interpreted language.

Kevin Picone
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2005 17:53
Quote: "Erm, ST has hardware sprites ?, you mean BOB's obviously ?"

I think so, it's been so long that I can't remember - I think it was split, like there was special blitter sprites for the STE as well as the standard sprites for the ST.

It sounds like the STE's blitter and the Amiga blitter were pretty similar, the killer was with STE hardware scrolling was not being able to use strings - in GFA strings could be upto 32k long, the same size as a full screen, it seemed strange but you'd actually grab graphics using string variables, then find the malloc address to get direct access or move it about quickly - unfortunately, when you need the buffers at each side you need more memory, even moreso when you kill the borders. Luckily there was a nice tiled backdrop map system that worked in STE mode, I tended to use that more than anything.

I don't think STOS had any fancy assembly sprite handling, I can imagine how that method would benefit machines with a blitter, but STOS did'nt really support extra STE stuff outside of the plugins. There were a couple of add-ons for STOS that gave some cool features, but these were more about border removal and music playback for the demo scene.

Van-B

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The ST had standard sprites, because BOBS is short for Blitter Objects, and the ST had no Blitter. I never actually heard about the STE.

Yu Une
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2005 18:50
Well my opinion about the Commodore product for it's time was superior, though I use the Amiga, it's superior sound and graphics I was intrigued. Though my personal preference was the Commodore plus 4.
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2005 18:56
The ST had no hardware sprite support. Although GFA Basic offered a few (slightly buggy) sprite functions that supported 16x16 pixel sprites (later known as software sprites), their handling was similar to that of the mouse cursor. Omikron Basic was a bit ahead in that field, sprites could be 32x32 pixels in size IIRC, and it didn't suffer from the trailing problems GFA had with overlaying sprites.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 06:26
I remember programming using GWBASIC for the Atari 1040 ST, and I think it was ahead of its time back then. I might be mistaken because I was only 10 at the time, but wasn't it one of the first BASICs to use labels and no line numbers?

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 06:58
Quote: "
Erm, ST has hardware sprites ?, you mean BOB's obviously
"

Sprites and BOB were definitively two differents things . Sprites were directly small images with 16 pixels wide and choosen height using 4 colors [ You can compile 2 sprites to get a 16 colors sprite ] . Sprites were directly hardware computed. BOB were in fact "Blitter OBject" . They were a simple memory copy system and BLITTER do the memory copy faster than processor itself but it was only able to make memory copy inside CHIP ram [ video ram in fact ]

Well my opinion about the Commodore product for it's time was superior, though I use the Amiga, it's superior sound and graphics I was intrigued. Though my personal preference was the Commodore plus 4."

I agree ... if we look technically all 2 computers [ Atari ST and Amiga 500 ] ... Amiga did have the half-bright mode [ 32 colors + 32 half bright colors ] , HAM MODE [ 4096 colors ] ... It did have the BLITTER [ Never heard about a blitter in Atari computer ] . 4 independant sound channel [ 2 for left and 2 for right ] and some tricks to define 32 color per raster line ... With that tip, games like Shadow of the beast and Jim power can display in the same screen more than 300 colors with full 50 fps !!!! [ Or 60 fps for pal computers ]

I remember my first interesting program with GFABASIC it was a map decoder for "Eye of the beholder" I must have the old source code somewhere in an old floppy disk ...

For Amiga, for people that don't know ... Amiga OS 4.0 is actually under BETA TEST cos the new amiga one ppc are out ... And don't forget that Amiga Computer can use PowerPC G3/G4 processors and PC Video/Sound card ... For example, My actual Amiga is :
Amiga 1200 + Blizzard PPC 233Mhz [ + 68040/33Mhz ] + 128Mb Ram EDO + Bvision 8Mo [ = Permedia 2 ] + Sound Card delfina + HD 40 Go + CDRom IDE + SCSI2 Connector with old 2x CDRW ...
And there is also an OpenGL based 3D Engine on Amiga !
With new Amiga 1 PPC it's more interesting ... The only problem is that these computers are too expensive

Amiga OS 4 :
http://os.amiga.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1805

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 14:10
Quote: "I might be mistaken because I was only 10 at the time, but wasn't it one of the first BASICs to use labels and no line numbers?"

No, SBASIC (Structured BASIC which eventually became Dartmouth BASIC 7 and in turn became True BASIC after getting ANSI-ized) was released in 1976.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 14:27
Empty,

Quote: " The Falcon was a brilliant idea at that time and it could have been _the_ standard machines for recording studios- and even more mastering studios- and even more home studios .
"

For sure, was having a quick look over the spec the other day. mmm, a DSP . And from memory it still appears to be a pretty handy looking machine even today. The 030 is a bit long in a the tooth, but one can only imagine how it'd run with an over clocked 060 in it.

Apparently it's even got 8bit & 16bit chunky video modes. Will have to suss out some Falcon demo's then. That's virtually the perfect situation for software 3D.. 68K and chunky frame buffer.. mmmmm, nice

Quote: " Except for the few conceptual flaws (at least for the music stuff), it was probably released "too early" (well, at that time mass storage was still a problem, and digital tape based systems were a huge success, ADAT anyone?). But I think the biggest problem was the fact that they weren't able to sell the amount of machines they needed to keep their prices low enough, when the only interested group is a bunch of sound engineers and musicians."

So they came with HD as standard ?. It's be expensive as hell to buy a HD the size you'd need for recording/ multi track work in those days.

I remember when a local video animator/ BBS guy here ( Sheedy ) got a 1gig scsi for his Amiga 3000 around the time I got my a1200. Which was certainly in the thousands of $ back then.

The falcon was getting a lot of press here though, there was certainly a buzz among coders. However Atari were so far behind the eight ball with representation in the market place. Buy this time, C = were selling in every major chain store, even here in Ballarat, were Atari use to _own_ basically.

It did seem they were trying to get to market in the front of the A1200. And vice versa.

Kevin Picone
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 14:57
Freddix,

Quote: " Sprites and BOB were definitively two differents things ."

Sigh, I was asking if the ST had HARDWARE sprites. Which apparently it doesn't.

Quote: " Sprites were directly small images with 16 pixels wide and choosen height using 4 colors [ You can compile 2 sprites to get a 16 colors sprite ] . Sprites were directly hardware computed. "

I'm well aware.

Quote: "BOB were in fact "Blitter OBject" . They were a simple memory copy system and BLITTER do the memory copy faster than processor itself but it was only able to make memory copy inside CHIP ram [ video ram in fact ]"

The updated versions of the ST also have a blitter. Thus In the context of this discussion the term BOB, a blitter object, is not mutually exclusive to the Amiga.

Kevin Picone
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 17:28 Edited at: 9th Jan 2005 17:33
Quote: " Which apparently it doesn't"

Indeed - even the C64 had hardware sprites (24x21 pixels of loveliness - which larger than the Amiga's ones if I rememeber correctly - although that did have BOBs as well), and it would certainly have helped the ST if it had them as well.

I have no signature.
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 17:41
Commodore Amiga was the first sort of personal computer I ever had, not that I knew how to use them much at that point (I was only 8 or something).

I did love the machine though, especially after when I lost my first one and then got a PCW from somewhere with BASIC on, and then having lost that I got another amiga(also from the hypothetical somewhere) with a loads of unmarked floppy discs, and on one of them was AMOS. When I found out it was like BASIC I was happy.

I loved the settlers for the amiga, it used to be my number 1 game . Gamers these days are spoilt. Quality NOT quantity is a term these people need to learn .

Anyway, as for it being sold, I didnt know, but im going to try and get an amiga on Ebay soon .

The 3d chat is coming...
Rights For Traffic Cones!
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
I have an Atari 520ST and am looking into getting myself an Amiga seeing as my Atari is damaged. It wouldn't be so hard to program with Blitz wouldn't it... I used to program alot in Blitz PC so I have experience if the language isn't too different

:: 1.8 gHZ AMD Duron :: 256 MB Ram :: 32 MB SiS Graphics ::

:: Current Project: Sea Bound ::
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 18:58
They are too different. And the Amiga version I had was very bugged.

I have no signature.
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 03:11 Edited at: 10th Jan 2005 03:13
Quote: "For sure, was having a quick look over the spec the other day. mmm, a DSP."

Yep, the two main problems were the awfully noisy AD-DA converters and the odd sampling frequency rates it offered. In the mid-nineties a German company called C-Lab licensed the machine and released a customized version of the Falcon, that had much better converters and allowed 44.1kHz sampling. It came with an audio software bundle that was really good. Problem was, at that time most studios had upgraded from STs to Apple Macs and with Win95 most of the audio and Midi software was ported to IBM compatibles as well.

Quote: "And from memory it still appears to be a pretty handy looking machine even today. The 030 is a bit long in a the tooth, but one can only imagine how it'd run with an over clocked 060 in it."

IIRC, Rich said he still owns one (or maybe more than one ).

Quote: "Apparently it's even got 8bit & 16bit chunky video modes. Will have to suss out some Falcon demo's then. That's virtually the perfect situation for software 3D.. 68K and chunky frame buffer.. mmmmm, nice"

Yep.

Quote: "So they came with HD as standard ?. It's be expensive as hell to buy a HD the size you'd need for recording/ multi track work in those days."

No AFAIK a HDD was optional.

Quote: "I remember when a local video animator/ BBS guy here ( Sheedy ) got a 1gig scsi for his Amiga 3000 around the time I got my a1200. Which was certainly in the thousands of $ back then."

Yeah the C-Lab Falcon MK-X (released 1996) with a 1 GB HDD was about 1500 USD.

Quote: "The falcon was getting a lot of press here though, there was certainly a buzz among coders. However Atari were so far behind the eight ball with representation in the market place. Buy this time, C = were selling in every major chain store, even here in Ballarat, were Atari use to _own_ basically.

It did seem they were trying to get to market in the front of the A1200. And vice versa."

Apparently a lot of things went wrong with Atari's marketing seeing that the ST was such a huge success esp. in Europe.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 21:38
Quote: "Yep, the two main problems were the awfully noisy AD-DA converters and the odd sampling frequency rates it offered. "

Why does that not surprise me for some reason. Like they'd perfectly position themselves, expectations in the market are high, and then it comes up short.

Quote: "In the mid-nineties a German company called C-Lab licensed the machine and released a customized version of the Falcon, that had much better converters and allowed 44.1kHz sampling. It came with an audio software bundle that was really good. Problem was, at that time most studios had upgraded from STs to Apple Macs and with Win95 most of the audio and Midi software was ported to IBM compatibles as well.
"

I can't imagine much of the start up win95 app's being much chop though at that time

Quote: "[quote] "And from memory it still appears to be a pretty handy looking machine even today. The 030 is a bit long in a the tooth, but one can only imagine how it'd run with an over clocked 060 in it." "

IIRC, Rich said he still owns one (or maybe more than one ).
[/quote]

While wandering around i've found a few sites listing Falcon-060 demos (from 2004). Nice screenies, will have to find a falcon emulator, any suggestions ?

Been playing a bunch of ST games the last few nights, (since i'm taking a holiday ) that I knew from the Amiga. Their much of a much-ness for titles that were obviously designed to be dual format. I.e 320x,200y in 16 colours. Most of the bitmap brothers stuff is a good example of this. Even so, one thing that is noticeable is the reduced colour palette, and the quality of sound playback seems to be lacking. But that's prolly the emulations fault.

Although, It's not until you step outside this and look at titles that were ported back. Being a shooter fan (Still), I've been playing Swiv (probably my favorite Amiga game of that era), Zout, Turrican, Shadow of the beast (for curiosity sake) and bunch of others. The thing I really miss in SWIV and others, while visually it's about the same, with only a few missing cosmetics, is the 320*256 screen format. In 320,200 format, makes the game play completely different. I.e. Things like the Homing missiles from the helicopter guardians bad guys, just leave the screen and don't come back.

Performance wise, well it's hard to tell really, currently most, if not all ST software i've tried, runs slower. But that's more than likely the emulation. Been using STEEM (is there a better one ?) , which i rather like actually. Seems a little more intuitive than WinUAE. Although the newest beta is certainly a improvement for the better.

I assume that most software was written for the base 520st (?) machine. So was image blitting a part of TOS ?.. Although I can imagine how many coders would have used an OS function to render sprites.. Erm zero .. Just curious, as then running the game on a STE (the ones with blitters right ?) could well get a performance boost.

Found a site which is devoted to a an ongoing ST sprite record. 16*16 sprites, 2 bitplanes. Tempted to have a crack ..

http://leonard.oxg.free.fr/record16/record16.html

Quote: "No AFAIK a HDD was optional. "

Did it have a built in bay for a 3.5 drive or those 2.5 ones ?. C= put 2.5 inch IDE drives in a600's and a1200's. But the IDE controller wasn't buffered, as C='s implementation was a bit lacking .

Quote: "Yeah the C-Lab Falcon MK-X (released 1996) with a 1 GB HDD was about 1500 USD."

So they did last long enough to get some machines out there, or was time against them ?.

Quote: " Apparently a lot of things went wrong with Atari's marketing seeing that the ST was such a huge success esp. in Europe."

So did the ST make any inroads into America ?.

Kevin Picone
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 21:42
Quote: "So did the ST make any inroads into America ?."

Very little, if I remember correctly.

I have no signature.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 22:27
STEEM is about the best emulator you can get for Atari Machines. The sound in STEEM is a bit weird, I certainly remember my Atari sounding better, and my STE sounding a helluva lot better, really the STE had the same quality sound chip as the Amiga, it just arrived too late and wasn't the standard so few games made use of the extra features.

You guys all know LGD right? (atari.st) - there's a monthly or bi-monthly Atari magazine that you can read online, it should have some clues as to what happend. I remember using a Falcon shortly after they were released, compared to the PC's available there was simply no contest (Atari's OS was largely inspired by the Mac's, they actually got permission to use ideas from it) - Atari should have had it in the bag.

IIRC the Amiga had the USA covered, with C='s deserved popularity in the US because of the C64, the Amiga was the natural progression for most people, there was too much faffing about with the 8-bit Atari's IMO, the 8-bit market was sealed up, Atari should have got developing quicker, and sealed the Tetris deal (instead Nintendo waited till they were ready to ship and told them to pack it in).

Van-B

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 02:20
Quote: "Why does that not surprise me for some reason. Like they'd perfectly position themselves, expectations in the market are high, and then it comes up short."

Yeah, that happened quite often to Atari. Transputer, DAT-Streamer etc.

Quote: "I can't imagine much of the start up win95 app's being much chop though at that time"

Actually Logic Audio ran quite well on Win95 machines, provided you had good audio hardware. It was just so much slower than on Macs.

Quote: "Been playing a bunch of ST games the last few nights, (since i'm taking a holiday ) that I knew from the Amiga. Their much of a much-ness for titles that were obviously designed to be dual format. I.e 320x,200y in 16 colours. Most of the bitmap brothers stuff is a good example of this. Even so, one thing that is noticeable is the reduced colour palette, and the quality of sound playback seems to be lacking. But that's prolly the emulations fault."

Dunno, ST's sound chip wasn't a highlight. I remember I was quite dissapointed 'cause the sound qualtiy of my old 800XL was better somehow.

Quote: "(since i'm taking a holiday )"

Aha!

Quote: "Although, It's not until you step outside this and look at titles that were ported back. Being a shooter fan (Still), I've been playing Swiv (probably my favorite Amiga game of that era), Zout, Turrican, Shadow of the beast (for curiosity sake) and bunch of others. The thing I really miss in SWIV and others, while visually it's about the same, with only a few missing cosmetics, is the 320*256 screen format. In 320,200 format, makes the game play completely different. I.e. Things like the Homing missiles from the helicopter guardians bad guys, just leave the screen and don't come back."

Hmmm, interesting.

Quote: "Performance wise, well it's hard to tell really, currently most, if not all ST software i've tried, runs slower. But that's more than likely the emulation. Been using STEEM (is there a better one ?) , which i rather like actually. Seems a little more intuitive than WinUAE. Although the newest beta is certainly a improvement for the better."

Yeah Steem seems to be the best emulator out there. PacifiST was good too, but I think the project isn't that active anymore.

Quote: "I assume that most software was written for the base 520st (?) machine. So was image blitting a part of TOS ?.. Although I can imagine how many coders would have used an OS function to render sprites.. Erm zero .. Just curious, as then running the game on a STE (the ones with blitters right ?) could well get a performance boost."

Never programmed an ST with Blitter (at least no graphic stuff), so I don't know if the only way to use it was via the OS.

Quote: "Found a site which is devoted to a an ongoing ST sprite record. 16*16 sprites, 2 bitplanes. Tempted to have a crack ..

http://leonard.oxg.free.fr/record16/record16.html"

Did it have a built in bay for a 3.5 drive or those 2.5 ones ?. C= put 2.5 inch IDE drives in a600's and a1200's. But the IDE controller wasn't buffered, as C='s implementation was a bit lacking ."

3.5" Double Density (IBM compatible format, you know, wrong byte order and all that ).

Quote: "So they did last long enough to get some machines out there, or was time against them ?."

By the time C-Lab came out with their version, Atari wasn't interested in the Falcon anymore. They put all their energy in the Jaguar.

Quote: "So did the ST make any inroads into America ?."

Not nearly as much as in Europe.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 08:34:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 08:34:07