Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / cherryOS emulate OSX on X86

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 15:28

http://www.cherryos.com/

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 17:30
Would be good if its not some sort of scam.

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
I have no signature.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 21:28
where do u validate its a scam,.?
snopes has no mention of it.
it emulates g4 type architecture on pcs using osx which is basically unix so it sounds feasible.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 22:26
Unfortunately they mention something that will be availiable - according to that site, the demo isn't currently availiable.

Which means either they dont have anything availiable, but will do; or they dont have anything availiable and never will.

I have no signature.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 02:06
Quote: "What is it? A one-word battle cry: "Virtualization!""

heh, guess you saw the Macworld coverage too Indi?
Does seem interesting to me, and for $130 (£65) might be worth checking out.

I was hoping that the next Windows was going to be supporting both platforms, considering thier next-generation gaming hardware. With this 'compatibility' mandate though, not very likely.

Quote: "Unfortunately they mention something that will be availiable - according to that site, the demo isn't currently availiable.

Which means either they dont have anything availiable, but will do; or they dont have anything availiable and never will."

They'll have something up within the next month or so I'm guessing. The site appears to be there as more of a place-holder right now, so not really doing to expect alot.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 07:27
Slashdot had an article up that said CherryOS was a scam--- now I must find the article

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 19:18 Edited at: 6th Jan 2005 19:19
Quote: "CherryOS was a scam"

So, I could be right then...

I have no signature.
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2005 04:28
There's quite a few pieces on Slashdot -

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:slashdot.org%20cherryOS

2005 - Year of cartoony red cubes (look! black outline!), for me at least.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2005 10:13
Skimmed most of the articles.. I don't really understand how it's much of a scam. Most of the claims aren't that it doesn't exist, but that it has 'stolen' code from PearPC (an established PowerPC Emulator)

This said that wouldn't make it an Operating System, but an emulator. The impression I got from the site and Macworld is that it is a stand alone Operating System, which can run MacOSX programs under an x86 Computer. It would enable people to carry simply an x86 Computer around with dual-booting rather than both a Macintosh and PC-CD.

Down to if the code was stolen or not, there doesn't appear to be any proof just constant rumours. This is actually often the case with programs such-as this, those who don't like what it means for thier little fan base throw up the red flags and create an air of controversy that either delays products that people need or causes people to just drop projects altogether because of the hassle they recieve.

At the end of the day code is only stolen if they don't purchase a license in order to use it, which means a deal between this Hawiian and the PearPC guys. Either way, doesn't particularly bother me provided he can provide what is promised, as PearPC doesn't come close to 80% speed emulation!

ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2005 10:55

That shadow is faker than Britney Spears's nose.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2005 20:24
Quote: "That shadow is faker than Britney Spears's nose."

I think you'll find that's probably a Photoshop super-impose.
I've helped do it a few times for friends to show off thier games as if the DVD-Case has been made, there are a few dedicated programs to doing this now.

It's so you don't have to go through the pain of actually printing out a test copy, setting up a room correctly, using a decent camera etc... much easier to just load the images into your proggy of choice and rendering.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 06:22:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 06:22:38