Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Is there any point in buying a gamecube?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 16:37
I'll probably buy another 2 controllers when I get that mario party game, so I'll get another 2 mem cards with them. Gamestation had 3x mem cards for £10 but I'm guessing they're really small.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 16:51
dont listen to all of these guys with tehir technical information, it's simple
Quote: "Is there any point in buying a gamecube?"

yes.

RaDiO
Years of Service
User Offline
for the price you can't go wrong with a gc, especially with re4 coming out thursday (states).

Oh, if you purchase re4 at GameStop, there/they say is a blood red tin case that they sell with the game exclusive to gamestop....it comes with artwork and other cool stuff. Being that I am a case whore, I already pre-ordered it.

BTW the first SMB was the best

On another note, I own all three console plus the older ones so I'm not a fanboy, but does anyone else think that GTA:SA is a little over rated? The graphics alone make me regret not waiting for the XBOX version and the "setting" of the game to me doesn't exactly thrill me either. What do you think?

Deadly Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 03:13
Dreamcast is the best with Xbox in second!

Sega and Microsoft nothing but the best.
The Videogameaholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 03:37
My 2 cents:

Gamecube and Xbox both have the same number of good games (while PS2 has WAY more). What makes the Xbox better than the Gamecube is Xbox Live (whereas Nintendo has given up on online for the Gamecube).

If you have a lot of friends you like to play party games with but don't have broadband, then get a Gamecube. Don't get me wrong, it has a lot of good single player games that make it worth buying too (Metroids and Zeldas n such).

Side note: I still play my Dreamcast quite often. My friends and I play DOA2 and Worms: Armageddon. I played and beat Half-Life/Blue Shift last summer.
Right now I'm working on Burnout 3 and Kingdom Hearts for PS2, but I still dabble in the DC a lot.

RMPVG (Real Men Play Video Games)
http://www.trialclix.com/index.asp?refID=55612
RaDiO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 03:50 Edited at: 11th Jan 2005 04:00
Dreamcast still is my favorite console right before xbox....

Dreamcast *sniff*

Did anyone like Skies of Arcadia?? How bout the GC version?

*EDIT*
I just don't enjoy that many games on the PS2....if your an anime freak than it is definately the console for you....other than that, the library is comperable to that of the xbox and gc.

Transformers for the PS2 owned!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 06:54
Quote: "Gamecube and Xbox both have the same number of good games (while PS2 has WAY more). What makes the Xbox better than the Gamecube is Xbox Live (whereas Nintendo has given up on online for the Gamecube)."

GameCube has the largest selection of worth while games.
X-Box has some good exclusive games.
PS2 has the most games... however I'd say out of what is available, if it wasn't exclusive it wouldn't sell on that machine. Nintendo's on the other hand I think still would shine on thier own hardware.

I mean can you imagine what Mario Sunshine would be like on the PS2 or X-Box? Be freaking weird.

X-Box Live! doesn't make it better than the GameCube. There are a fair amount of GameCube multiplayer games, however there just isn't a big call for them... as it is far more fun to have you mate in the room to shout abuse at rather than down a poor quality microphone
It's the advantage of having 4 Players at one time really.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 07:10
Pah, I'm getting tired of the XBox, it's about 6 months before anything decent is comming out, so you might as well put that money towards some gameplay. I don't know what I can be bothered playing on XBox, ohh that's right, I've still got about 4 FPS games to finish yawn. I just completed Pikmin, but did'nt get the last bit of Dolphin, so I'll have to play through it again.

For me, the Gamecube reminds of the Dreamcast a lot, it might just be the MonkeyBall influence, but whether it's Sega or Nintendo, they both offer something different from the usual PC and XBox games. I've always been a dc fan, even more so after it's supposed death, and I discovered all the fun that as DCemulation.com - DCQuake rocks.
PS2 is fine, but the only reason I'd consider a PS2 right now is San Andreas, but I'm too intruiged to see what the other versions will be like.

Van-B

RaDiO
Years of Service
User Offline
@Van
DCemulation.com huh?

I'd wait for San Andreas when it comes out on XBOX, it can handle the large worlds a bit better -see gta doublepack for examples.

Are you playing Pikmin 1 or 2?
I loved the first one and wanna know if part 2 is as good

@Leyvin
I agree that the ps2 is more "quantity over quality"
What is your favorite GC title?
I am dying to get my hands on RE4.....I hope the hype monster is the real deal!

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Well playing Mario on the Xbox would seem odd because of the system's "clothing" if you would like to put it that way.

To the majority of people the Gamecube is just wearing something bright and shiny and all happy happy.

While the Xbox would be wearing some urban clothing or just darker clothing.

Now please bare with me I've got the idea in my head and having one HELL of a hard time writing it, people look at the Gamecube and think of Mario and bright platformers and I guess now the kiddish styled zelda and then they look at the Xbox and think Alien Guts and Master Chief and dark games for mature people and teens. So anyone would have to find Mario odd on the Xbox...

Pretend you didn't read that it came out like crap, but I won't edit because maybe someone can interpert what I'm trying to say...

And I don't agree with the happy theme of the Gamecube, it's a LIE!!! I swear it is, I mean it has let's count them:
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
Resident Evil 4
Eternal Darkness

And that's not even all of them... It's not like there are all kiddy games which Raven/Leyvin has been trying to get across and I agree with him fully! I think the problem is that there is TOO many Mario franchise related games and up-beat platformers that are overshadowing the more mature games, and on the Xbox it's the other way around, we've got Fable, Halo, RAinbow Six, you name it overshadowing light hearted games like the upcoming Tork, Blinx,and others...

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 08:39
nup of all the games ont eh gamecube the one i played the most is rogue squadron, because im constantly betterign myself at teh death star run

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 16:42
It was Pikmin1, but apparantly Pikmin2 is even better, bigger, no time limit (still split into days though), you get an assitant named Louie, and there's 2 player modes. I'll be getting it soon for sure .

I would agree about the Gamecube, that the more mature games are not so well known, but I think that's more because there's these awesome addictive games that you don't get anywhere else. I mean you get most XBox games on the PS2 and/or PC, so it's sorta limited with it's unique games (or game! - Halo2). So I think that because these quirky games are only available on Gamecube, they all get regarded together and the more violent games tend to fall by the wayside because if you like violent games, you probably already bought an XBox.

Van-B

lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 18:14
the gamecube does come with online games. you can buy a modem adaptor anywhere, but the broadband (ethernet) adaptors are more rare.

phantasy star online 1&2 and 3 are online games where you pay monthly. i think there are other online games but i havnt seen them.

another great thing with the gamecube is that you can buy a gameboy "player" so you can stick gba carts in it and play it on your tv

or failing that you can get a gba link and a gameboy advance

you can pickup gba (not sp) for 30 quid, 2nd hand in gamestation.

if you wanna play on the move you can buy a battery pack (im not joking) and a 5 inch flat screen. turn it into a car item.

so overall i think a gamecube is a worthy buy.

oh yeah biggest memory card you can buy is 128mb (1000+ blocks) some on ebay for about 12 quid.

if you buy an accessory called freeloader you can play jap/usa(ntsc) games on your pal gamecube. so your not limited to 1 range.

lagmaster - http://www.lagmaster.net was alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - was another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is still out!! somewhere
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I should be getting a used Gamecube on teh weekend...

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 01:22
While i'm so not a console person, Game cube is so damn cheap here, it's tempting.

Just curious, Whats some good older games ?.. I'm a shooter person

Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Play Nice! Play Basic - Next Generation Basic (Release V1.05 Out Now)
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Time Splitters 2 was good on PS2 and Xbox, and Raven said it's good on Gamecube... It's only 20$ in the U.S...

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 01:37
Metroid Prime is probably right up your street UW, I haven't played it yet but I'll be getting it soon. Don't know of any shoot-em-ups as such though. The 007 games are apparantly pretty good, but Timesplitters2 is ideal for FPS fans, there's enough gameplay in that to kill a horse (co-op mode rocks too, the best co-op fps game bar Halo1/2).

Van-B

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Well Metroid Prime controls differently, that's a warning, it is a good game though...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 01:41
Shoot-em-up's you could go for R-Type, they revamped it for the GameCube in 3D. Best played when drunk, with more than 1 player.. so weird looking at the tunnels heh
Ali M Oldboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 01:42
I would recommend Xbox, with the Xbox live halo 2 kit,

LOVELY STUFF

Mind you, see you dudes and dudetts later! Im going on Halo 2
On Xbox Live

Oh BTW, if you need any advice on setting up Xbox live, just e-mail me

[b]Nukesoft[b]
[b]Bigfoot's Choice! [b]
Deadly Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2005 05:14
Ali M you have xbox live!!! whats your gamertag? I have halo2 and xboxlive! It rocks!

Sagetech Co Production
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 23:41
[u]Well i have all the systems, but i like GameCube the best because of graphics and all the games, I know you cant play Halo1 and 2 but they have alot of better games for gamecube. And no you can get it for $99 plus a game...
Deadly Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 11:08
Xbox graphics are the best. Gamecube looks just as good as cheap pc games.

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 01:24
Deadly Shadow, you know nothing about the Gamecube. You were probably looking at the box of 'Donald Duck's Kwak Attack' or whatever.

And, another point:

Quote: "
Is there any point in getting a GameCube?
"

Is there any point in breathing in and out?

Avatar - white cat in a snowstorm. Look closely.
Nemo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 21:05
I am an old man of 31 years and have been playing games for around 20 of them. I keep many of my old machines so in my attic I currently have:
1) Spectrum 48k - Not a console but it was just a game machine to me. This is where the "discussion" in this thread actually started for me. And it WAS better than the commadore64 :0)
2) MegaDrive - Streetfighter still gets the competition going in my house.
3) Dreamcast - Not a vast array of quality games but soulcaliber is the best looking and playing version I have yet to experience. (Yes I also have the disappointing cube version) Skys of arcadia still rules though.
4) PS1 - Loved tekken and wipeout then got bored of too much of the same old thing. Oh and gunship2000 was great too! And of course the now legendary Resident Evil.
5) PS2 - The hollywood mentality in console form (See metal gear 2 for details). The range available for this machine is so lacking in imaginative titles. This is just my opinion of course and I have no wish to offend owners, after all I have one myself. I just think its pants.

I bought a game cube when they first came out and I have yet to be disappointed in a game. Here are the games I have played so far (All the way through, without getting bored)
Zelda: The wind waker (Contender for best game ever)
Starfox Adventures
Skies of arcadia
Mario sunshine
Supermonkeyball (Ok I haven’t completed the single player yet. It makes me insane. But I am the monkey target master)
Rayman3 (Really graphically beautiful game)
Pacman world 2
Eternal darkness
Beyond good and evil (Short but very sweet)
Currently playing Metroid Prime (Its ok but very linear and a bit seen it all before apart from the crazy ball thing. It could turn out to be my first big disappointment. Or it might get better.)

Nintendo keep the escapism and imagination in gaming which is why I am slowly becoming a Nintendo die hard, I see enough reality in.... well in reality. I’m even thinking about growing a Mario moustache. :0)

In the future we will not spank the monkey, the monkey will spank us.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 21:11
Nemo,
You have to get Pikmin or Pikmin2 for Gamecube, it's simply awesome.

Van-B

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I got a gamecube recently and I have Metroid Prime and Starfox Adventures and I seriously love both of them.

My list of planned games to buy:
Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Resident Evil 4
Zelda: The Wind Waker
Final fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
The New Legend of Zelda
Geist
Resident Evil: Pure Evil Pack
Eternal Darkness
Phantasy Star Online: Episodes 1&2
Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest

Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2005 15:40 Edited at: 30th Jan 2005 15:42
I spend many hours enjoying my gamecube games.
* are the my fav's

Luigi's Mansion
Star Wars The Clone Wars
Resident Evil
Resident Evil Zero
Tiger Woods Pga 2003 *
Super Mario Sunshine
Outlaw Golf
Star Wars Rogue Leader
Second Sight *
Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem *
Lost Kingdoms
Metroid Prime *
Reign Of Fire
Minority Report
Tony Hawk Pro 3
The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker *
Pikmin
The Legend Of Zelda: Collector's Edition *
Animal Crossing *
Star Fox Adventures
Wario World

Most of them i got used, for around $10 to $20 and yeah id say it's worth having a cube around. I also have xbox and ps2 both with more game's then i have for the cube but i seem to play the cube more.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 10:19:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 10:19:10