Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / OK a reasonably simple question.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2003 08:14
Hey Everyone,
I've made a very simple guy in Truespace (nothing special, though I managed to keep the polycount under 464 without it looking too bad). I know how to animate and export porperly to DB but my problem is that I want to give the guy a robe, is there a way of doing this and not making it look too.....crap. Modelling it would be easy, my problem stems from animation. I know DB 1.13 doesn't allow mesh deformations and such so how would you do it without ruining the look of the model?

Help much appreciated,
Sina.
"Maybe if you ain't so good, I ain't so bad."--Tony Manero to Stephanie (Karen Lynn Gorney)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2003 12:40
alot of mesh animated models fudge up the animation
i'd take a look at games like Oni or Tomb Raider closer... you'll get your answer

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 04:03
So the search begins, I've been thinking the most practical way of doing it would be to have large/small plain sheets aligned together like limbs and animate them as such, but it would probably look bad.
Thanks.
Sina.

"Maybe if you ain't so good, I ain't so bad."--Tony Manero to Stephanie (Karen Lynn Gorney)
Hilmi2k
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe the robe can be a solid chunk, not a bunch of planes.

That way, you can make it flutter sideways and forwards and backwards without holes suddenly apearing.

Besides, games like morrowind have managed to look good without resorting to moving garments. Stick to good game play, thats a better bet, as it will keep people too busy to notice the clothes are as stiff as concrete blocks.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 09:21
amapi 4 and 5 are free but also plugin extensions to 3d studio max.

http://www.staigerland.com/amapi/tutorials.html

check out some of the clothes building techniques here
dont forget to find the robe building one also

Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 09:55
Hehe, well I originally made this model just so I could have something to put in my testing code. I'm trying to teach myself the finer points of using models and matrices in DB, eventually I hope to combine the fragments of code together and make a simple RPG (I only have one level in mind, but its a little detailed).

I'd like to use plain sheets instead of solid objects because they keep the poly count low. I've never personally tested DB's limits with polygons, but from what I hear it can't seem to tolerate much. And if worse comes to worse then I won't animate the robe, I'll still make one though because the character needs it to look in place with everything else.

I intend to put most of my effort into gameplay whenever I try to make anything. If you've ever played Arcanum (of Steamworks and Magick Obscura) thne you'll be aquainted with it's hellishly complex game (Troika did a bang-up job with it). The game stores every conversation you have and makes a reputation for you, then when you try to talk to the same people again they 'remember' what you said last time. The way you could interact with them would also depend on what you do in the game, if you're a nihilistic murderer then people won't so polite around you. Ever played that game?

Thanks,
Sina.

Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 10:00
Oh wow, Indi you posted faster then I did!
Yeah I've read the clothing tutorials on that site, certainly helps with modelling, I'll go over them again to see if I missed anything on animating.

Thanks though,
Sina.

Hilmi2k
Years of Service
User Offline
Arcanum was a great game, I never finnished it though because it was just too huge, got all the way to the other dimension.

Anyway, it is also a great example of average graphics getting the job done in a superb way. Considering it is a comercial project, the graphics are rather average by todays standards. But over all, the game is great.
Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 01:11
Once you learn fireflash, harm, teleport and desintegrate you're a god in that game.
Just use desintegrate on the dark champions and they go down in one hit.
Sina.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:02:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:02:47